Tri Talk HomepageTri Talk EventsTri Talk ForumsBlogsTri Talk TrainingTri TradeTriPlayerWikiTeam Tri Talk
How much should I eat/drink in an Ironman and when
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
hillmr

PostPosted: Wed Apr 26, 2017 10:27 am    Post subject: How much should I eat/drink in an Ironman and when Reply with quote

I am about to do my first Ironman (Austria) and I would really welcome your advice on nutrition.

I am approaching 55 and my history is running, which is my strength. I am new to both swim and bike. I want to ensure that after the bike leg I have the strength to take advantage of my running. I am hoping to do splits of approx Swim 1.14 Bike 6.10 Run 3.30 (plus transitions)

From what I have read so far you should be aiming to consume 1g of carbs per kg body weight per hour (so for me 67g per hour)

Using this rule on the bike I intend to consume solids/gels/energy drinks in combination and perhaps in the last couple of hours of the bike consume more gels and less solids to prevent possible stitch on the run. On the run I will stick with gels as I know that that is all that I could stomache

Does this seem like a reasonable plan?

What have you found to be a successful strategy?

What about the consumption of salt tablets?

Thanks in advance for any input
Mark Smile
Tin Pot

PostPosted: Wed Apr 26, 2017 10:36 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I tend to bars on the bike, gels on the run at least half a bar or one gel every thirty minutes - more if I feel like it but try to avoid less.

On the run I drink whatever I feel like at the time, water/electrolytes or sports drink/coke.

Current evidence is against the use of salt tablets.
Sprint '16 1h17, '14 1h40, '13 2h01
Half Mara '16 2h04, '14 2h07
10 Mile TT '16 00:26:30
Trail 10K '16 54:01 '13 54:46
PCP

PostPosted: Wed Apr 26, 2017 12:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I go with High 5 bars & Zipvit gels on the bike then High5 gels on the run.

Reason being - Zipvit gels have more carbs, High5 gels are watery.

It is a very individual subject though.

Sadly I did this last year to see carb, calorie & price comparison.

Jorgan

PostPosted: Wed Apr 26, 2017 12:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Tin Pot wrote:

Current evidence is against the use of salt tablets.

Evidence or advice?

People expressing their opinions on Internet forums is not evidence; it's important to make the distinction.
SidSnot

PostPosted: Wed Apr 26, 2017 1:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

PCP wrote:
I go with High 5 bars & Zipvit gels on the bike then High5 gels on the run.

Reason being - Zipvit gels have more carbs, High5 gels are watery.

It is a very individual subject though.

Sadly I did this last year to see carb, calorie & price comparison.

That's really useful, thanks.
mattsurf

PostPosted: Wed Apr 26, 2017 1:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I am trying to move away from high 5 gels on the bike as I always get my fingers, bike and clothing covered in the stuff. But not quite settled on an alternative yet

on the run High 5 gel every 6k

On the ride, I have been doing a gel every 30 mins

I tried salt once and tore my calf - probably coincidence, but not used salt since

I use High 5 in my water bottle, on my IM i am not sure whether to carry 2 or 3 bottles - on a recent 80 mile ride, I took 2 bottles and still had a little left at the end
Tri'ing Swimmer

PostPosted: Wed Apr 26, 2017 1:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Never used gels/nutrition before so just got a box of high5 gels to train gut before outlaw. 20 for £7.50 on sale at wiggle seemed nicer value for a starter to see how get on with them.
Jorgan

PostPosted: Wed Apr 26, 2017 2:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

mattsurf wrote:
i am not sure whether to carry 2 or 3 bottles

Two should be enough in an Iron dist event with regular aid stations; or even one if you're confident enough & they're every 20km (a lot of Ironman events aid stations are this often).

I think tearing your calf and taking salt was purely a coincidence.
SGreg

PostPosted: Wed Apr 26, 2017 2:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Jorgan wrote:
mattsurf wrote:
i am not sure whether to carry 2 or 3 bottles

Two should be enough in an Iron dist event with regular aid stations; or even one if you're confident enough & they're every 20km (a lot of Ironman events aid stations are this often).

I only ever use one Bottle in an IM, My second cage is my "spares" bottle

I grab a Bottle of energy drink at each station along with a water bottle, take a big drink of the water, with a gel/banana and then ditch the water before leaving the station.

Then drink the energy drink before next station.

Normally this is sufficient, but fell apart in Lanza where there is quite a gap between certain stations.
explorerJC

PostPosted: Wed Apr 26, 2017 3:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

follow the strategy you are hopefully using with success in training with allowances for weather and increased distance...

www.naturalrunningform.co.uk Natural Running Form Coach

2017 Training Camps http://www.appliedtri.co.uk/training-camps/
Andy916

PostPosted: Wed Apr 26, 2017 9:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

explorerJC wrote:
follow the strategy you are hopefully using with success in training with allowances for weather and increased distance...

Ah-ha, I was just about to say 'do what you do in training'...

Actual amount depends on how fat-adapted you are. Actual food or fake-food items depend on what your stomach can tolerate.

What are your split estimates based on, and what's your stand-alone marathon time for example? As a runner turned triathlete the (ongoing) tricky thing for me has been developing greater strength on the bike, and not leaving my legs on the bike course in the event itself. Whilst a half is a relatively straightforward prospect, stringing together a good IM run is tough. My stand-alone 3:16 mara has translated so far to a 4hr IM mara (or worse) whereas there should be a 3:45 in the legs with better execution. I'm nearly the same age as you.
Malcolm68

PostPosted: Wed Apr 26, 2017 10:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Guess it's all very personal, but I've always used Torq and never had an issue. I don't get on with the ones on the feed stations on the IM races, so take my own. Try to mix up their bars, gels and drinks in the bike, then use some gels on the run.

I did Austria last year, and I'm back this. The one thing I thought on the feed stations in Austria was they were better stocked than my previous experience at Bolton.

Malc
Jorgan

PostPosted: Thu Apr 27, 2017 7:47 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Malcolm68 wrote:
I did Austria last year, and I'm back this. The one thing I thought on the feed stations in Austria was they were better stocked than my previous experience at Bolton.

Austria is an excellent event, I've done it twice myself. The last time I did it, the race website actually did a video taking you through what you'd get at each aid station, so you could visulise it riders-eye view (race footage).

The Powerbar gels though Mad I took my own.
iwaters

PostPosted: Thu Apr 27, 2017 10:02 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have always used High5 stuff, no real reason other than my first race had it I used it and have ever since.

On their website they have guides for how much of their stuff and which to use depending on the distance. I found their Olympic distance guide was suggesting too much but the 70.3 guide worked really well for me.

I am a bigger chap and sweat a lot so I tend to use the EnergySource to get most of my cals on the bike as I will be drinking a fair bit also. I suspect when I do an IM next year I will need some bars or something solid on the bike.

Oh, and the chap who created the spreadsheet of the different gels - you are my hero Smile
Aldo

PostPosted: Thu Apr 27, 2017 11:37 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Practice in training but bare in mind it is hard to simulate true race pace in training. When it comes to the race I have found in my two ironmans that I have felt pretty rough by the time I got onto the run and that is using the supplied powerbar drink along with 2 powerbar bars early in the ride then switching to a few SIS gels for the second part of the ride. In training I normally felt fine on this sort of fuelling. I think the increased pace and swim beforehand changes things. In Austria the rough canal section didnít help my gut with lots of swallowed water!

For my next IM I am thinking of moving away from powerbar drink and using my own energy drink which I would have to dilute with water from the aid stations. I may also eat less solid fuel (potentially none although Iím not convinced yet). My hope would be to get onto the run feeling a little better.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    TriTalk.co.uk Forum Index -> Training All times are GMT
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next
Page 1 of 3

Jump to: