Tri Talk HomepageTri Talk EventsTri Talk ForumsBlogsTri Talk TrainingTri TradeTriPlayerWikiTeam Tri Talk
Stages Power Meter - battery issues
Goto page 1, 2, 3 ... 11, 12, 13  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Nat B

PostPosted: Sat Oct 26, 2013 5:30 pm    Post subject: Stages Power Meter - battery issues Reply with quote

I have had my stages power meter for about 3 weeks & had to change the battery twice. First time I had done about 5-6 hours of training & just changed it again today after1 hour on the turbo. This can't be right?!? All firmware is up to date.

Anyone else had similar problems? Exclamation Exclamation
ziggys101

PostPosted: Sat Oct 26, 2013 7:25 pm    Post subject: Re: Stages Power Meter - battery issues Reply with quote

Nat B wrote:
I have had my stages power meter for about 3 weeks & had to change the battery twice. First time I had done about 5-6 hours of training & just changed it again today after1 hour on the turbo. This can't be right?!? All firmware is up to date.

Anyone else had similar problems? Exclamation Exclamation

Check the battery cover one of the securing tabs on mine had snapped allowing the battery to dislodge slightly making me think the battery was dead. Emailed them asking where I could get a new cover and they dispatched one free of charge and received it the next day (great service) and this has solved it for me.

If the cover is OK I would email them with the problem as until the cover issue the battery had lasted for at least 50 hours of riding.
T-rex of Tri

PostPosted: Mon Oct 28, 2013 9:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I went away for 5 or 6 weeks of holiday and the battery had died, but prior to that I had installed it elsewhere and the battery had died, so I'm on my 3rd battery.

I fear this might be a fault, I've just not used mine enough to know.

Their customer service is very good though, so send them an email.
T-rex of Tri

PostPosted: Tue Oct 29, 2013 9:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I emailed them after a 3rd battery went flat, all tabs still on the back door, so it is more than the contacts.

Waiting to hear back from them but I guess it might even need a replacement. Their customer service has been excellent so far.
big vern

PostPosted: Wed Oct 30, 2013 9:55 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Mine came with a energixer battery and it I checked the latest firmware etc. - all ok - whilst unmounted from the bike, it then came back 2 weeks later built up and stages was dead, replaced the battery and it's now back to life, so may be an issue for me as well..
hillwall

PostPosted: Wed Oct 30, 2013 4:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

How much of an issue does this appear to be with regards batteries? Without knowing how many of you have this I can't tell.

Not sure whether to open a new thread or not but I am seriously tempted by getting one of these. I've checked my bikes and have 175 cranks on road, TT and winter hybrid so I am fairly happy I'm going to be able to switch between the 3 bikes (and like the fact that I can therefore have power on my disc brake winter bike). I'm not worried about the lack of left/right leg support but clearly want reliability.

What are your thoughts on the Stages option as a whole? Which head unit do people use? Is there a good cheap head unit to display power through ANT+ (I do have a 910 but tend to wear it on my wrist not mount on the bars - which I assume is better for using power)

And does anyone know of any shops with 105 175mm in stock?

Sorry about loads of questions but want to get the right items for me.
T-rex of Tri

PostPosted: Thu Oct 31, 2013 9:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The battery thing I'm not really sure of, I think it's a fault with certain units rather than an overall fault, you don't see it reported widely on the internet.

Stages customer services have been great and are sending me a replacement unit under warranty so I'll be sure to update. To be honest if the Vector had actually looked like getting to market then I would have jumped on that but I really wanted a powermeter for a number of reasons, now I really would have been better with vector, but hindsight is 20/20, I'd waited a couple of years for them.

I use my 910 and mount it on the bars, I've actually got on the kickstarter for the RFLKT+ from Wahoo just so as I have a power / HR ANT+ feed on my bars and can leave my 910 on my wrist, which if they don't sort out an android implementation then I might need an iPhone to fully utilise.

When my stages is working it's very good, but if I had the choice again probably Vector, increased interchangability (have 3 bikes with 172.5 Ultegra cranks and 3 without, not an issue with Vector).

No idea about stock, I'm in NZ.
Jorgan

PostPosted: Fri Nov 01, 2013 9:10 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Suspect batch? They've certainly spread themselves across the globe! Two things did attract me to Stages, the price and the relative convenience of just swapping the L/H crank. I'm soldiering-on with my Ergomo at present, but that's not excatly future-proof and it's wired which is a pain.

I'm thinking Vector tbh, for pure convenience & 'switch-ability', which should be fully sorted by the time I get around to affording it. In a perfect world I'd be cruising around on various SRM equipped bikes, but that's not going to happen.
hillwall

PostPosted: Fri Nov 01, 2013 11:33 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Vector would be good but I like to use spd pedals. Which rules it out - as well as the 1350 price tag.
Jorgan

PostPosted: Fri Nov 01, 2013 12:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Anecdotal evidence out there has the Vector reading lower wattage values than most other brands; not a PM for the fragile ego Very Happy
big vern

PostPosted: Fri Nov 01, 2013 1:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

"The battery thing I'm not really sure of, I think it's a fault with certain units rather than an overall fault, you don't see it reported widely on the internet. "

You may be right but they've not been out long and there's already 3 on here with possible battery issues
T-rex of Tri

PostPosted: Tue Nov 05, 2013 9:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

They've just provided me with a replacement unit, will update with how it goes. Fingers crossed.
alexluhrs

PostPosted: Sat Nov 16, 2013 5:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ive also had my Stages for 4 weeks now but for the last 8 days its been doing the same as whats been reported here.Use it during the day and it works fine but by the next morning it won't show on the Garmin- just absolutely nothing.

Cue a new battery and Im back in business, but then..... The same again. (now 8 batteries down)

Day after day.

Been sent a new battery cover with not avail- so its not a battery issue. I reckon its an internal fault.
Either way I have not got in touch with the importer and will see what happens either way I'm not very happy.
dab

PostPosted: Sat Nov 30, 2013 3:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Seemingly I have the same problems also. I put a new battery in yesterday and did 1 hour n the turbo. Came to use it this morning and dead as a dodo. Not impressed, but hopefully their customer service lives up to its good reputation.
Cyclist

PostPosted: Sat Nov 30, 2013 7:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have experienced similar problems. Initiaily it worked great but the 5th time i used it, my garmin could not match up. I changed the battery and it worked great however the next time i went to use it, the same thing happened.

Changed the battery and it was fine and what i did the next few times was take the battery out and put it in when i was going to use it. I was planning to email stages about it but kept using it but then after using it another three times, my garmin wouldn't match up and even another new battery wouldn't work.

I had it for about 5 weeks in total and i sent it back to evans about a week ago, still waiting for their response. Have to say it was great when it worked and from reading other sites, stages customer service is supposed to be really good although evans and the uk importer saddleback needing to be involved will presumably slow the process.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    TriTalk.co.uk Forum Index -> Gear All times are GMT
Goto page 1, 2, 3 ... 11, 12, 13  Next
Page 1 of 13

Jump to: