Tri Talk HomepageTri Talk EventsTri Talk ForumsBlogsTri Talk TrainingTri TradeTriPlayerWikiTeam Tri Talk
Stages Power Meter - Issues
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 17, 18, 19, 20  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
tommy060289

PostPosted: Thu Apr 14, 2016 11:18 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I like both my stages. The customer support when something has been wrong has been as good as anything and I dont know of a more practical system for swapping between bikes!
Tri Curious

PostPosted: Thu Apr 14, 2016 3:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

KingstonGraham wrote:
jibberjim wrote:
KingstonGraham wrote:
So what's the current consensus? Stages yes or no?

With a price of about £450, the alternatives don't even seem to be in the same ballpark, so if I jumped to power, it would probably be this.

Is it really not worth <100 quid to go two legged with either a power2max or PowerTap C1 The Power2Max gossamer is 100 quid more, but you get a full chainset for that?

Got BB30 with 50/34 - from what I can tell with my limited understanding, that pushes C1 out and power2max recommend the rotor 3d+ which then comes out at about £800.

I could be utterly wrong.

On the P2M you could go for the FSA version which i have.

http://www.power2max.de/europe/en/Produkt/power-meters-en/power2max-type-s-fsa-gossamer-road-2-2/

Very happy with it and easy to swap between bikes.
KingstonGraham

PostPosted: Thu Apr 14, 2016 4:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Tri Curious wrote:
KingstonGraham wrote:
jibberjim wrote:
KingstonGraham wrote:

With a price of about £450, the alternatives don't even seem to be in the same ballpark, so if I jumped to power, it would probably be this.

Is it really not worth <100 quid to go two legged with either a power2max or PowerTap C1 The Power2Max gossamer is 100 quid more, but you get a full chainset for that?

Got BB30 with 50/34 - from what I can tell with my limited understanding, that pushes C1 out and power2max recommend the rotor 3d+ which then comes out at about £800.

http://www.power2max.de/europe/en/Produkt/power-meters-en/power2max-type-s-fsa-gossamer-road-2-2/

The website says that needs an adaptor for BB30 - is that straightforward and is it the "FSA megaexo bottom bracket for BB30"?
Tri Curious

PostPosted: Thu Apr 14, 2016 9:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

KingstonGraham wrote:
Tri Curious wrote:
KingstonGraham wrote:
jibberjim wrote:
KingstonGraham wrote:

The website says that needs an adaptor for BB30 - is that straightforward and is it the "FSA megaexo bottom bracket for BB30"?

I am not too clued up on BBs but I struggled fitting the crank into an Ultegra so ordered a few FSA english thread from P2M.
Doesn't help you much but if you contact P2M they will get back to you pretty quick with the right advise Smile
KingstonGraham

PostPosted: Fri Apr 15, 2016 8:25 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Tri Curious wrote:
KingstonGraham wrote:
Tri Curious wrote:
KingstonGraham wrote:
jibberjim wrote:
KingstonGraham wrote:

I am not too clued up on BBs but I struggled fitting the crank into an Ultegra so ordered a few FSA english thread from P2M.
Doesn't help you much but if you contact P2M they will get back to you pretty quick with the right advise :-)

Thanks, think I've got it. A Rotor BB30 to 24 converter sounds quality for about £45 and the FSA Gossamer one would then work.

Now I've heard of the BePro pedals for about the same price though....

Anyway, will leave the Stages thread to Stages people. I'm still undecided.
KingstonGraham

PostPosted: Tue Apr 19, 2016 8:56 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

jibberjim wrote:
KingstonGraham wrote:

Thanks - pulled the trigger on a power2max. I know I'm not 50/50 left/right when on the Wattbike, so thought I'd get one with accurate total power rather than a probable overestimate from left only.

Now am going to become one of those power geeks.
Dman77

PostPosted: Fri Apr 22, 2016 11:19 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've got one of each on my bikes, you won't regret going for the P2M over the Stages, I've had numerous issues with my Stages.

Also, I didn't realise I was so right dominant until I got my P2M, wasn't sure why the NP readings were quite a bit higher on the P2M but then saw it was giving me a 55%/45% in favour of the right leg.
straightouttabrompton

PostPosted: Thu Apr 28, 2016 2:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Just to contribute my Stages experience, I'm currently onto my 3rd in less than a year.

I purchased a 105 (with 1st generation stages sensor) late last summer which was broken straight out of the box. Some sort of electrical fault meant that when calibrating, instead of producing a number around 900 it gave something in the 2000's. Anyway I contacted Stages customer support and they quickly arranged for it to be replaced.

The second one I got (again 1st generation) at least worked.. a bit. I had a fair few problems with the battery coming disconnected during a ride when I went over rough roads. Then when winter came round I had continual problems with the batteries draining. It got to the point where i was having to replace a battery before pretty much every ride. I tried a couple of solutions I found online, like taping over the door and covering the whole thing in a section of MTB inner tube and taping the ends up, but nothing seemed to help.

So eventually I got frustrated enough to contact Stages again, thinking they might maybe send me a new battery door, and instead they said they'd replace the whole thing for a second generation version (with new improved battery door).

Since its arrived I've had absolutely no problems with it. Still on the first battery after almost 3 months now. Ridden in all kinds of horrible Spring weather and over the usual bumpy roads and itís been fine.

So all in all my views on Stages are:
- If you are looking to buy a Stages PM, avoid 1st generation versions (silver sticker on the back) and go for a second generation (blue sticker).
- If you do have any problems, contact Stages customer support as they are actually really good!
Jorgan

PostPosted: Thu Apr 28, 2016 3:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

tommy060289 wrote:
I like both my stages. I dont know of a more practical system for swapping between bikes!

Urm, pedals? You'd have to have to use the same type crankset on all your bikes for it to be convenient (e.g. all Shimano), and I've never been in that position in over 20 years.

Come to think of it, the standardisation of the industry has worked so well. The 3 bikes I mainly use have FSA (true) BB30, Rotor 3D+ and an ISIS Rolling Eyes
tommy060289

PostPosted: Fri Apr 29, 2016 11:24 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
Urm, pedals? You'd have to have to use the same type crankset on all your bikes for it to be convenient (e.g. all Shimano), and I've never been in that position in over 20 years.

Come to think of it, the standardisation of the industry has worked so well. The 3 bikes I mainly use have FSA (true) BB30, Rotor 3D+ and an ISIS

Not if you ride speedplay pedals.....

and also have MTB pedals on your CX bike. Both my Giant bikes and my cervelo all have Shimano (5800, 6700 and a 6800) which fits fine. My CX bike came with all shimano groupset and annoyingly an FSA crank. Luckily, this was simple enough to swap for a 105 crank:)
crumpy

PostPosted: Sun May 01, 2016 5:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

tommy060289 wrote:
Quote:

Come to think of it, the standardisation of the industry has worked so well. The 3 bikes I mainly use have FSA (true) BB30, Rotor 3D+ and an ISIS

Not if you ride speedplay pedals.....

and also have MTB pedals on your CX bike. Both my Giant bikes and my cervelo all have Shimano (5800, 6700 and a 6800) which fits fine. My CX bike came with all shimano groupset and annoyingly an FSA crank. Luckily, this was simple enough to swap for a 105 crank:)

After having lots of different equipment, I have standardised on Shimano over the last couple of years (TT and road bike) to make it easy to switch over the crankset. Loving the Stages so far (been on a loan from the local bike shop for last 2-3 months) and got one ordered for the season ahead.
tri_longer

Location: Bobbing along on the bottom of the beautiful briney

PostPosted: Wed May 25, 2016 9:51 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well mine appears to have finally given up the ghost after Slateman on Sunday.
Riding nicely to power for just over an hour and then bang, no data. Now given the conditions for most of the bike I think it's safe to assume that water ingress was the issue.
Left the battery compartment open after I got home and after a day seemed to resume service when checking with the Stages App and showing a full battery.
Came to use the bike on the turbo last night and zero connection with Trainerroad or the App.
So order placed this morning for a gen 2 to replace it and I'll see about sending the old one back to see what they have to say about it.
Bloody annoying and it's had it's issues with batteries in the past but firmware updates seem to have taken care of that.

http://chrisgoesracing.blogspot.co.uk/
Chrace

PostPosted: Tue Jun 14, 2016 10:20 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

tri_longer - read this. Smile

My Stages bought some 20 months ago (September 2014) gave up the ghost just recently. Been slowly running down batteries even when not used for a while, but this time it just didn't respond. Tired both Ant+ devices previously paired with it, as well as the Stages app on bluetooth. Just no signal. It's always been taped up so water ingress is not the cause, and the compartment shows no sign of water at all.

Sent a nice email to Stages in the US asking if it could be repaired or at least checked since it was out of warranty. They got Saddleback in the loop (EU distie) who requested I sent it back. 5 days later a brand new Gen 2 model has arrived.

So while it shouldn't have failed in the first place, I can't argue with their integrity and help in rectifying a problem when the device was after all out of warranty.
tri_longer

Location: Bobbing along on the bottom of the beautiful briney

PostPosted: Tue Jun 14, 2016 11:15 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sadly too late as already bought new one but the plot thickens even further.

I bought a Gen 2 and would you believe it but this brand new unit is draining batteries overnight.

It's on its way back to the supplier now for a swap, but to give you an idea of how bad it is, i put a new battery in whilst racking at Cotswold 113 at 05:30 in the morning, got on the bike at around 07:20 and with about 5 miles left of the bike the battery was dead.

Within 3 days of having the unit I had depleted 3 batteries, the only reason I didn't return it immediately was only had a week and didn't want to risk being without a PM for the race. I'd managed training by removing the battery after each session, but never expected it to deplete one so quickly.

I called supplier to talk about it and as far as they were aware there have been no issues with the Gen 2 Stages, so lord only knows how I have ended up with a duff unit.

I'm on a recovery week anyway now so can afford to not have it for the moment and just use virtual power for some easy spins.

http://chrisgoesracing.blogspot.co.uk/
stenard

PostPosted: Tue Jun 14, 2016 2:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

If you have an issue with the new one, can you not try and just get a full refund for it under a "not fit for purpose" argument, and then go down the free replacement route suggested by Chrace?
Post new topic   Reply to topic    TriTalk.co.uk Forum Index -> Gear All times are GMT
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 17, 18, 19, 20  Next
Page 18 of 20

Jump to: