Tri Talk HomepageTri Talk EventsTri Talk ForumsBlogsTri Talk TrainingTri TradeTriPlayerWikiTeam Tri Talk
Stages Power Meter - Issues
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... , 18, 19, 20  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Chrace

PostPosted: Wed Jun 15, 2016 8:48 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

stenard wrote:
If you have an issue with the new one, can you not try and just get a full refund for it under a "not fit for purpose" argument, and then go down the free replacement route suggested by Chrace?

Or either way, if you still have the Gen 1 then send a nice email to Stages US. If/when they replace it simply sell it on to recoup some cost.
tuongtrante1

PostPosted: Fri Jun 17, 2016 10:40 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've read elsewhere that if one of the tabs breaks off the battery door then this can allow water in which then totally messes things up. Is your door intact?

_______________________________________________________________________________________________________
sent from my nho ninh thuận using Iphone 5s
KingstonGraham

PostPosted: Fri Jun 17, 2016 11:09 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

jibberjim wrote:
KingstonGraham wrote:
So what's the current consensus? Stages yes or no?

With a price of about 450, the alternatives don't even seem to be in the same ballpark, so if I jumped to power, it would probably be this.

Is it really not worth <100 quid to go two legged with either a power2max or PowerTap C1 The Power2Max gossamer is 100 quid more, but you get a full chainset for that?

Thanks again for this advice!
tri_longer

Location: Bobbing along on the bottom of the beautiful briney

PostPosted: Fri Jun 17, 2016 11:17 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Chrace wrote:
stenard wrote:
If you have an issue with the new one, can you not try and just get a full refund for it under a "not fit for purpose" argument, and then go down the free replacement route suggested by Chrace?

Or either way, if you still have the Gen 1 then send a nice email to Stages US. If/when they replace it simply sell it on to recoup some cost.

That's the plan at the moment.

http://chrisgoesracing.blogspot.co.uk/
tri_longer

Location: Bobbing along on the bottom of the beautiful briney

PostPosted: Fri Jun 17, 2016 11:19 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

My replacement gen 2 has turned up today, fitting later on and then fingers crossed that tomorrow morning I still have a battery in working order.

http://chrisgoesracing.blogspot.co.uk/
gveale20

PostPosted: Fri Jul 22, 2016 5:26 am    Post subject: Stages Power Meter - Short Battery Life - And Solutions Reply with quote

I have had a 1st gen unit for about 2 years and had a number of problems related to short battery life. The best battery life I have experienced gave me about 70hrs of riding over about 4mths. I have managed to get around 70hrs for a few batteries. My unit did have the rubbish battery cover that broke on about the 3rd time it was removed, and since replaced with an improved one (supposed to be stronger plastic) that has been good so far.

First problem encountered was that the battery when installed loses contact with the centre contact and the meter suddenly stops working. This can happen at any time. Simply squeezing the battery cover to press it down a little can be a temporary fix, but a little bit of tape on the inside of the battery cover can be a permanent fix.

The second problem would appear to be dampness inside the unit. Mine has the improved red "o" ring, but this did not stop it happening. Here I am making some guesses based on sound engineering principles. I know that the electronics package is sealed (Stages have said so), but the strain gauge and connections are potentially open to atmosphere if the battery cover is removed. The main housing is glued to the crank so any small defect in this glue can allow moisture (rain) into the area around the strain gauge. Any small amount of moisture can cause massive increases in the sleep power consumption, perhaps even greater than normal running power. Temperature changes could also cause condensation on the aluminium crank arm inside the housing without any leaks happening.

I also think that the unit in sleep mode is just in a low power mode where it is periodically checking for movement. This is were the problems arise as the Stages Power Meter would appear to have a small, but significant, power draw when in sleep mode. Because of this Stages may be able to legitimately claim over 200hr run time if the unit is used continuously, but normal riders do not ride continuously for 200hrs. In my case riding about 5hrs per week the power used in sleep mode would appear to be twice the power that is used in actually riding. I suspect that if you did NO riding the battery would be flat in under 6mths, all due to the sleep power consumed.

The good side here is that these issues do have solutions. My unit got damp inside even though it had the latest "o" ring and a perfect battery cover and minimal riding in the rain. Recently it would flatten the battery in 2 or 3 days without any riding. However removing the battery cover and the battery, then spraying inside unit with silicon oil, then warming the crank in front of the heater for 30min, fixed the problem. Just the heater is probably good enough, just don't get it so hot that you cannot touch the crank arm as heating any electronics to over 60 deg C is not a good idea.

I have now also put a bead of silicon sealant around the joint of the plastic housing to the crank arm to be sure this joint is water tight. After seeing a picture of a Stages PM that dropped off the crank arm I have also wrapped some electrical tape around the unit so if cannot fall of if the glue fails.

Hope this helps others that own Stages PM's.
armie

PostPosted: Sat Jul 23, 2016 6:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

gveale20,
Interesting read, I to have a 1st gen. Power crank (replacement after three months). Now I have never had an issue with moisture inside the unit via the battery cover as I've always covered with duck/electrical tape but I do get battery drain. As I've stated in this tread in only happens between the months of December and into April if I leave a battery in the unit. I have had numerous emails with Stages technical and although everything reads fine that the unit is forever adjusting due to the low temperature causing the unit to stay on.
I have to say that the unit performs great in use and suits my needs fine, I rue the day it eventually dies. Hopefully not for May years and miles.
Jorgan

PostPosted: Thu Feb 08, 2018 10:58 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

So, not heard much on Stages here for a while. How are people finding the Gen 2 versions? I'm toying with the idea if the second gen is more robust, as an Ultegra version would go nicely on my Canyon.

Feedback?
Chrace

PostPosted: Thu Feb 08, 2018 1:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

My Gen1 failed with battery drain, got warranty replaced by a Gen2 that arrived with battery drain, which got warranty replaced with a Gen2 that I sold on eBay unopened. A month later the buyer contacted me about how to do a warranty claim due to battery drain...

Currently using a 4iiii which in comparison is simply awesome. It ought to be pretty much the same but the fact that this one just works means I don't have to worry about it, which means I can just go ride instead of faffing with batteries and head units for 10 mins before setting off.

Some people have no problems at all but I'm not touching Stages with a barge pole.

(For info, all three units were losing all battery in <3 days with no movement)
Jorgan

PostPosted: Thu Feb 08, 2018 3:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ah interesting with the 4iiii, they have come up on my radar. I've also been looking at the BePro pedals on fleabay; they get a good write-up online.
Chrace

PostPosted: Fri Feb 09, 2018 9:25 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Jorgan wrote:
Ah interesting with the 4iiii, they have come up on my radar. I've also been looking at the BePro pedals on fleabay; they get a good write-up online.

My n=1 experience of 4iiii is to recommend it highly. Cheap and works if you can live with left-only power.

Since I only use left-only outdoors, only my own PM, and use the same unit for both training and racing, it gives me a consistent baseline which imho negates all the jazz with "precise measurement" etc. That said, when I tested it my Tacx smart trainer reports within 2-3% of the PM consistently which is plenty close enough for me to use either.
r0bh

PostPosted: Fri Feb 09, 2018 10:37 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Jorgan wrote:
So, not heard much on Stages here for a while. How are people finding the Gen 2 versions? I'm toying with the idea if the second gen is more robust, as an Ultegra version would go nicely on my Canyon.

Feedback?

I got a gen 2 105 Stages just because it was half price in a sale a year and a bit ago (I already have a Powertap).

Not had any battery drain issues but I have had a lot of problems getting a solid Ant+ connection between the Stages and my head unit. It seems very fernickity. For instance, on my road bike if I put a 520 head unit on an out front mount directly in line with the stem I get drop-outs in the power readings all the time. But if I move the head unit onto the bars on the lefthand side it's fine.

I did send it back t the shop in the autumn who sent it back to the distributor who tested it and couldn't find anything wrong with it Sad

Still use my 8/9 year old powertap most of the time which has never missed a beat in all that time!
Chrace

PostPosted: Fri Feb 09, 2018 10:40 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

r0bh wrote:
Jorgan wrote:

Feedback?

I got a gen 2 105 Stages just because it was half price in a sale a year and a bit ago (I already have a Powertap).

Not had any battery drain issues but I have had a lot of problems getting a solid Ant+ connection between the Stages and my head unit. It seems very fernickity. For instance, on my road bike if I put a 520 head unit on an out front mount directly in line with the stem I get drop-outs in the power readings all the time. But if I move the head unit onto the bars on the lefthand side it's fine.

I did send it back t the shop in the autumn who sent it back to the distributor who tested it and couldn't find anything wrong with it Sad

Still use my 8/9 year old powertap most of the time which has never missed a beat in all that time!

When I had battery problems Saddleback (Stages EU distie) suggested I moved my head unit "closer and/or in line with the crank arm". I strapped it to the bottle cage right next to it simply to test (still failed) but I honestly thought that was the worst attempt of a resolution I had heard. Fairly useless setup if the head unit is not easily visible...

Mind you, both Saddleback EU and Stages US were fast at responding, super polite, readily helpful and the turnaround for warranty replacements were a few days at worst. I have no gripes against them as companies whatsoever. Top service, but unfortunately rather poor product.
mattsurf

PostPosted: Sun Feb 11, 2018 7:37 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

sounds like i am the odd be out here, I have 2 Stages and find them to be very reliable and easy to use. I have no battery drain issues, however, battery lasts only a couple of months, while my Quarq lasts much longer. I know from Quark that my L/R balance is 50/50 so RH only is fine.

It pairs with head unit quickly, however, sometimes fails calibration, on one of my Stages, if this happens i bring head unit close to crank to calibrate.
Jorgan

PostPosted: Wed Feb 14, 2018 4:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Still sounds like Stages is a bit of a risk. My P2M battery is still going strong from well before Outlaw last year - I generally change it when I start my peak Ironman training, whether it needs it or not. I think in 4 years I've only ever had a low battery warning once. The 2450 is a big battery mind.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    TriTalk.co.uk Forum Index -> Gear All times are GMT
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... , 18, 19, 20  Next
Page 19 of 20

Jump to: