Tri Talk HomepageTri Talk EventsTri Talk ForumsBlogsTri Talk TrainingTri TradeTriPlayerWikiTeam Tri Talk
Protein Supplements
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
IronBanksy

PostPosted: Mon Mar 10, 2014 10:28 pm    Post subject: Protein Supplements Reply with quote

First post on here in a while...
Was just wondering what peoples opinions are on protein supplements whilst training for an ironman... Have been doing quite a bit of reading around about diet etc recently and seen a couple of things mention using a protein isolate... Obviously i am aware that you should try and get your protein from food but was just wondering if anyone uses supplements and if so how do you find them and how often do you take them

Cheers
fenix

PostPosted: Mon Mar 10, 2014 11:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Cant see there is any need. After a long ride or run - get a milk shake down you. Other than that - eat normally.
BigFish

PostPosted: Tue Mar 11, 2014 6:55 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I agree.
Having to supplement usually means your diet isn't well balanced. You are better off focussing on eating right rather than popping pills or mixing powders.

The thing about protein too is that most people eat too much at one time (so a lot of it doesn't get used).
Also typically protein shakes etc...contain large amounts of carbohydrates so not always necessarily a good thing.
Nobbie

PostPosted: Tue Mar 11, 2014 8:37 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

After a hard session I usually have a milkshake made with whey protein and some carb powder just because its convenient and quick and easy to eat/digest. I get in the door, chug that down and then I can get showered etc and faff around. If I didn't have that, I might not bother eating anything until after I'd got changed and may end up eating crap because it's there (digestive biscuits, I'm looking at you Laughing )

I suppose it's not really supplementing, but replacing a recovery meal I'd otherwise have such as a ham sandwich.
IronBanksy

PostPosted: Tue Mar 11, 2014 9:16 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for the input everyone... From what I was reading, it mentions about having some protein with every meal...I was planning on taking a shake with breakfast as I normally do a morning training session and then go straight to work so don't have time to make an omelette or something like that...

Nobbie, how often do you take them? Once a day or after every training session? I find myself in a similar position I the evening where I am fannying around for ages after a training session before actually getting any food down my neck
antht

PostPosted: Tue Mar 11, 2014 9:21 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

TheBanksy wrote:
Thanks for the input everyone... From what I was reading, it mentions about having some protein with every meal...I was planning on taking a shake with breakfast as I normally do a morning training session and then go straight to work so don't have time to make an omelette or something like that...

I'm the same. I train in the gym at work or on the roads around work, so I'm straight into the office after a shower in the gym
I would like to have a proper breakfast, but I don't have the time or the facilities

so for a me, a quick protien shake is perfect
I have a hand full of nuts and an apple at my desk too
Nobbie

PostPosted: Tue Mar 11, 2014 6:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

TheBanksy wrote:

Nobbie, how often do you take them? Once a day or after every training session? I find myself in a similar position I the evening where I am fannying around for ages after a training session before actually getting any food down my neck

At the moment I'm only running and tend to do hard day/recovery/hard day etc. So I only have one every other day. If I was biking as well then I'd be having one every day after my main session.
hammerer

PostPosted: Tue Mar 11, 2014 8:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

If you want eggs for breakfast cook a tortilla the night before and eat it cold. I do tortilla espaņol with potatoes and even add mushrooms or tortilla with spinach or even peppers. 3 eggs, onion, some parmagiana with the potato one, and the veg..(loads if spinach as it shrinks) and you're done. 10mins to prepare and cook. Bit longer with potatoes as you have to fry them off first.
Jorgan

PostPosted: Wed Mar 12, 2014 10:09 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

hammerer wrote:
If you want eggs for breakfast cook a tortilla the night before and eat it cold. I do tortilla espaņol with potatoes and even add mushrooms or tortilla with spinach or even peppers. 3 eggs, onion, some parmagiana with the potato one, and the veg..(loads if spinach as it shrinks) and you're done. 10mins to prepare and cook. Bit longer with potatoes as you have to fry them off first.

Onions for Breakfast. Nice Very Happy
hammerer

PostPosted: Wed Mar 12, 2014 10:15 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Jorgan wrote:
hammerer wrote:

Onions for Breakfast. Nice Very Happy

finely chopped into the tortilla to add flavour, although if you want a raw onion on the side, nothing stopping you Wink

whatever it is it sure beats some manufactured stuff in a tub used by people with ridiculously sized arms..... I went into a David Lloyds at the weekend...kids party, not by choice, and sitting in the cafe you can add a "protein shot" to a drink FFS. costs more than a dozen eggs as well!.
KingstonGraham

PostPosted: Wed Mar 12, 2014 10:28 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

hammerer wrote:
I went into a David Lloyds at the weekend...kids party, not by choice, and sitting in the cafe you can add a "protein shot" to a drink FFS. costs more than a dozen eggs as well!.

But how did it taste?
hammerer

PostPosted: Wed Mar 12, 2014 12:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

KingstonGraham wrote:
hammerer wrote:
I went into a David Lloyds at the weekend...kids party, not by choice, and sitting in the cafe you can add a "protein shot" to a drink FFS. costs more than a dozen eggs as well!.

But how did it taste?

Laughing

I had a skinny latte. Wink
TransitionTed

PostPosted: Wed Mar 12, 2014 12:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

hammerer wrote:
KingstonGraham wrote:
hammerer wrote:

But how did it taste?

Laughing

Skinny latte???
F*ck me, its all changed around here!!!!

A thread showing appreciation for Ramsey AND Devina McColl?
Insipid Friday polls?
Nobody's mentioned shyte cars in ages?
And tedious stuff about gear inches??

At least GrahamO is still on form as a constant
KingstonGraham

PostPosted: Wed Mar 12, 2014 1:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

TransitionTed wrote:
hammerer wrote:
KingstonGraham wrote:
hammerer wrote:

But how did it taste?

:lol:

I had a skinny latte. :wink:

Skinny latte???

Insipid Friday polls?

Who are you?
TransitionTed

PostPosted: Wed Mar 12, 2014 1:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

KingstonGraham wrote:
TransitionTed wrote:
hammerer wrote:
KingstonGraham wrote:
hammerer wrote:

But how did it taste?

Laughing

Skinny latte???

Insipid Friday polls?

Who are you?

Oh, its like that is it?
Post new topic   Reply to topic    TriTalk.co.uk Forum Index -> General All times are GMT
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next
Page 1 of 3

Jump to: