Tri Talk HomepageTri Talk EventsTri Talk ForumsBlogsTri Talk TrainingTri TradeTriPlayerWikiTeam Tri Talk
Sevenoaks Tri
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
AndyS

PostPosted: Sun Apr 11, 2004 3:26 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm up, been fed and watered and have now entered the 'loading the car' stage where I get to wake up 3/4 of the neighbourhood. Very Happy

Time to say a big thanks to everyone who's got me here: the Mrs, massage therapist, physio, Rob for bike tips, Darryl for run tips and everyone else but most of all thanks to Sue for sending me the form in the first place and suggesting that a few before London would be a good idea.

Flower Pot

I'll let you know how it goes!
Captain Fat

PostPosted: Sun Apr 11, 2004 4:30 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hey that was Sneaky geting on with out me seeing you

good luck mate and have a ball Cool Cool

what time were you up and how far you got to go Question

04:26 is sometime to be up thats IM wake up time Laughing Laughing

AndyS

PostPosted: Sun Apr 11, 2004 10:54 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well, how much info do you want? Very Happy

Early start despite only living about 10 miles from the race, I wanted to get there early and watch the others start and get an idea of what goes on. Got there before they’d set up so had the change watch and learn how to organise a tri race as well! Met Sue and anne quite early, went and registered at 6am then racked the bike. Got a nice spot near the exit of T1 so I didn’t have to walk far in my cycle shoes, very pleased about that.

That had me done in time to watch the first of the swimmers go off. They let the slowest swimmers go first and you have to hand it to them, they gave it their best shot. If anyone is worried about not being good enough for the swim then please put that behind you. The only stroke we didn’t spot was ‘fly. One woman decided to walk for a while, others were ‘adjusting their goggles’ after every length, many were resting and chatting with the marshals. Really, don’t be afraid of the swim! I was but not any more.

We watched anna go off on the swim then ran around to T1 and watched her go off on the bike. A quick check of the watch and I was set to go off in 10 minutes! ARRRR, I wasn’t paying attention! Last visit to the loo and a quick change then join the back of the queue for the swim start. Met a woman from swim club and chatted with her for a while. Soon I was at the front and in the pool, a quick wave to Michele and Sue and the marshal said 40 seconds to go. Oooh, almost there!

10 second count down – GO! I started my watch and pushed off, my HRM strap slipped immediately but I ignored it. I swam happily up and down, almost hit the end a few times as I’m used to swimming in a 33m pool and this was a 25m. I caught up the other person in the lane and he got in the way a bit, I was about to move to over take and he got out. The two lap board went in, I went up and down again and out. Swim done. All very uneventful. No drinking the pool or struggling to breath. Phew.

Ran out and had a bit of trouble getting my cycle shirt on but everyone warned me so stayed calm. Helmet on, number belt on, shoes/socks on – GO! Ran to the mounting point and realised I couldn’t stop in my shoes so ran on a little further. Got on and off I went. Over took someone very early on which was good but didn’t see anyone else until near the end. I pushed too hard on the bike, couldn’t get my HR below 170. Maybe I pushed too hard on the swim and that carried through. Rode around, pushing all the way and felt good despite the HRM telling me otherwise. Decided to ignore HRM. All the marshals told me to go straight out at the junctions so no stopping there.

Went up that hill and over took two people at the top, they were out for a Sunday ride, all very casual. I was over taken as we came back into Sevenoaks by someone wearing pants and crop top. Had a little laugh to myself then turned into T2. Stood up on the bike, stretched and span the pedals to loosen up.

That went well, lobed the helmet, change of shoes, turned my number around and off again. Felt really good running through the car park but that soon changed as I got down to the park. They’ve changed the course and as you exit that silly steep path you turn right and run along the valley. It goes up hill for about a mile then goes up a really steep bit. Had to walk that as I’d maxed out my HR. Got to the top and it turned into tarmac paths that ran back down hill, parallel to the run up the valley. I was feeling tired but felt quite good at this point, HR came back down to 160 and I plodded on. Went past the water station and turned back on myself and headed back almost the reverse of the outward journey. Ran back up that silly steep path and into the car park and finished. Michele, Sue and anne there the cheer me on.

Michele timed me and here are the results:

Swim (400m): 7:26
T1: 2:49
Bike (27k): 55:23
T2: 1:06
Run (8k): 41:16

Overall: 1:47:22. Three minutes under my target of 1:50. How pleased am I! It was all well marshalled and I knew where I was going all the time. It was a good day, Michele enjoyed herself a lot. We chatted afterwards, met Foggo. I think we were one of the last to leave by the time I’d recovered and went to collect my stuff.

Andy – triathlete Very Happy
Sue

PostPosted: Sun Apr 11, 2004 12:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well done Andy, a triathlete at last Winner
You actually looked fine all the way through -as did Anna and Foggo.
Was nice for spectators, you were all a little spread out but not too much. A bit chilly at first --had to scrape the ice off the car before setting off Shocked
A bit frustrated at not being able to join you 3 but was pleased to be "invloved". Had Michele and Bus for company --and only once nearly mentioned IMFrance, but got out of it Andy Embarassed
Nice to meet you this time Foggo --and your nice chatty "fan club". Would never have thought only last week you were marathoning in Rotterdam, with a respectable time ---so why didnt TT'ers get the low down from that Rolling Eyes
Well done those TT'ers

PostPosted: Sun Apr 11, 2004 1:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Not much to say as Andy has given a good run down on the race. Had a fun time got round in about 2 hours I didnt manage to set the timer on my watch so will have to wait for Official times. back home to watch the Paris Roubaix Cycle race and I just woke up!!!! Sleepy

thanks Sue for comming along to support us, that ice scraping at 6am was a bit much Exclamation
Foggo

PostPosted: Sun Apr 11, 2004 4:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Really enjoyed the tri today, not sure of my times, looking forward to seeing the official results.
I think I was quicker on the bike & transitions this time but maybe a bit slower on the run. I think I started to feel last week's marathon towards the end of the run.
I definately need a bit more swim practice.
It was good to meet you Sue & Andy.
Captain Fat

PostPosted: Sun Apr 11, 2004 6:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well Done Guy's and girls

Great run down Andy, good feeling the first one, as i said you only get the one.

Anna, Well done on your race, hope you had a great time

Foggo, sorry to here the legs caught up with you oon the run, but good race

ANDY THE TRIATHLETE got a ring to it mate Very Happy Very Happy

Last edited by Captain Fat on Sun Apr 11, 2004 9:39 pm; edited 1 time in total
Stealth Attack

PostPosted: Sun Apr 11, 2004 7:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Andy - Good one mate! Welcome to the traithlon racing fraternity. GReat times amd best of all, you enjoyed yourself. That's what its all about. Sure, race hard and do your best, but if you're not having fun, what's the point. Anyway, enjoy the moment, rest, recover and re-live all the positives from the day. When its all sunk in, start to ask yourself "what could I have done better"? Not in any a negative way, but in constructive critical mode. Hopefully once the weather warms up a bit, you will be able to dispense with wrestling with a cycling jersey and once you have a few more races under your belt, you should have a better idea of your ideal heart rate in each of the three disciplines. There's plenty of time before London, but if that is one of your "A" races, I would seriously consider doing without a heart rate monitor. You should be in tip top condition, and having a pre-conceived idea of your limit may just hold you back. It might just stop you from having that one-in-a-million race. HRM's are great for reducing the risk of over-pacing your self but there are occasions when its better to listen to your body and give it some wellie!

Giantman

See my blog at : http://www.tri247.com/columns/rob_holloway.html
AndyS

PostPosted: Sun Apr 11, 2004 8:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks everyone.

GM, my mind is busy assesing the events of the day. I know I need to work on running up hills but a new one from today is cycle speed. I can do the long aerobic ride and hammer it for 40k but don't seem to be going anywhere with speed. Seems to always be stuck at 18mph average.

The use of HRM reflects my novice status. Today was about gathering information so I used it. I nearly didn't but thought it's a good way to get an accurate time. It's silly because I knew my HR was high but I still needed to check the watch to confirm it. Timex GPS allows you to leave the watch at home and still record the data for the session so I'll do that and analyse afterwards. Start working on perceived effort.

The next six tri's are open water so no more pulling cycle shirts over wet bodies for a while.
SJB

PostPosted: Tue Apr 13, 2004 10:38 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Andy - sounds like you had a great day, congrats Cool Cool Cool
Daz

PostPosted: Tue Apr 13, 2004 2:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

well done anna, andy foggo!!!!! Cool Cool

first triathletes of 2004!

andy, your swim time was pretty good. i would have thought you'be placed higher in that than the bike and run. lucky you!
AndyS

PostPosted: Tue Apr 13, 2004 5:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Can anyone remember how long it takes them to publish the results? The waiting is hard work!

I'm very pleased with my swim but annoyed at the same time. I didn't put any thought into it, didn't think about technique, pace or effort. I just got in and swam. I'm quite dissapointed in myself as I've been working on making sure I get technique right as soon as I start. Effects of race day I guess.
Foggo

PostPosted: Tue Apr 13, 2004 7:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Andy I think it only took a few days for the results to appear last year.
Looks like you did a good time in the swim, I suppose the technique & sticking to it in a race will come with experience.
Foggo

PostPosted: Tue Apr 13, 2004 7:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

At least you have some technique, I have to sort that out with my swimming!!
Robert

PostPosted: Wed Apr 14, 2004 9:11 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well done Andy, Anna, Foggo - and anyone else who was there in a competing or spectating capacity (yes, you too Sue - well done for heading down to support Forumites and patiently waiting for them to lug their frames around that fiendishly difficult course!)

Will you guys be doing the event again in September? In fact, does anyone know when it is?
Post new topic   Reply to topic    TriTalk.co.uk Forum Index -> Events All times are GMT
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next
Page 5 of 6

Jump to: