Tri Talk HomepageTri Talk EventsTri Talk ForumsBlogsTri Talk TrainingTri TradeTriPlayerWikiTeam Tri Talk
Longer sleeved tri tops / suits?
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Chrace

PostPosted: Wed Apr 30, 2014 12:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Word of warning on the Fusion kit. I am generally always a size large but I just got some Fusion PWR (cycling top/tri shorts) and needed XL. My old Fusion kit which fits perfectly is L.

But otherwise warms my patriotic heart that a Danish company reaps comments like that on here. Smile
Jorgan

PostPosted: Wed Apr 30, 2014 12:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Pearl Izumi do quite a few close fitting jerseys. I've used a white Elite Pursit jersey last couple of times. The Pro Leader Jersey looks nice, if rather pricey.

http://www.pearlizumi.co.uk/ride/mens
funkster

PostPosted: Wed Apr 30, 2014 1:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

JimboP wrote:
funkster wrote:
poofinger wrote:
That fusion top looks nice - how does it perform under a wetsuit? And I'm guessing you run separate shorts with it?

Never had issues under mine

I use their Tri shorts as well. I change into either a Tri top or t-shirt in T2 for the run. Only use it for HIM and IM, although I did stick it on for a duathlon in T1 but I wasn't fussed about time there.

+1 I find it's really handy for colder races as well as hot races and no issues wearing it under a wetsuit.
I have always removed it in T2 as I think it would get hot running in it.

I've had a look at the new fusion suit as well. Another very nice piece of kit..

Was gonna mention us looking like twins at the Outlaw Half.

New suit looks nice, but peeing??
hopper-tri

PostPosted: Wed Apr 30, 2014 1:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

PCP wrote:
Champion Systems do the speedsuit that Luke McKenzie wears -

My CS suit has just arrived.
Not seen it yet, as I'm not at home... It has a rear zip, too!... Just realised, this could be interesting in myHIM, if I need a toilet! Shocked

Team VeloVelocity

Broadland Half Marathon - 1:33:33
Manchester Marathon - 3:25:12
East Coast Tri - 50:54 (PB 3:39)
Grafman Middle - 5:43:33
Beccles Tri
Fritton Standard (EC)
Gosfield Sprint (EC)
The Outlaw
Monster Middle (EC)
IM Wales
Welsh Moz

PostPosted: Thu May 01, 2014 10:59 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

There's a lot of chat about this on slowtwitch, with a useful summary thread here - http://forum.slowtwitch.com/forum/Slowtwitch_Forums_C1/Triathlon_Forum_F1/Official_Sleeved/Aero_Tri_Suit_Thread_P5040792

I'm not sure how many of them are available in the UK? And they seem to have missed out the Champion Systems suit from their list - http://champ-sys.co.uk/triathlon/triathlon-collection/suits/apex-triathlon-speedsuit.html

My big issue is that these suits are supposed to provide aero benefits similar to a cycling speedsuit, in which case the fit is paramount - any bunching of fabric around the shoulders and a lot of aero benefit is lost. And I'm a bit reluctant to shell out 150 on a suit online and have to send it back a few times times to get one that fits correctly...it's a pity that no shops seem to stock these yet...
JimboP

PostPosted: Fri May 02, 2014 10:01 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

funkster wrote:

Was gonna mention us looking like twins at the Outlaw Half.

New suit looks nice, but peeing??

I missed the boat on the outlaw and had to withdraw from the full this morning so no repeat of that this year unfortunately.

Same peeing technique as with any one piece i suppose Wink

@Welsh Moz - I tried the Large fusion speedsuit and would go for the medium. (I usually take a large in their tritops). Saying that, the fusion stuff fits very snugly so very little chances of fabric bunching even if you size up. In comparison to the champsys fabric I've had a look at, the fusion stuff is light years better.
leahnp

PostPosted: Fri May 09, 2014 9:41 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm now looking at these , in particular the Castelli and the Fusion. My club TT kit is black and the order is taking forever to arrive so something lighter in colour makes sense and that I will get a decent amount of wear from the club rides.
Welsh Moz

PostPosted: Fri May 09, 2014 11:02 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well I decided to go for it and pick up a Castelli Bodypaint short-sleeve trisuit...

I'm 189cm tall (6'2.5") and about 81kg with fairly broad shoulders. I went for the large size and the fit is very good, albeit with a tiny bit of creasing around the shoulders when my arms are in the aero position. I very much doubt that I'd get even halfway into a medium size, so I think this is the best that I can do regarding the fit...

Whether it will provide any extra speed remains to be seen, but even if not the suit looks great and I definitely prefer the short-sleeve look!
poofinger

PostPosted: Fri May 09, 2014 11:54 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

presumably none of these are legit in non-wetsuit swims?
thepeteh

PostPosted: Fri May 09, 2014 12:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Welsh Moz wrote:

Whether it will provide any extra speed remains to be seen, but even if not the suit looks great and I definitely prefer the short-sleeve look!

It wont, but if it feels good and there is some psychological benefit then great Surprised

2014 Events
May Wetherby Standard
June 70.3 Wimbleball
July Ripon Standard
August 70.3 Wiesbaden (GER)
fat buddha

PostPosted: Fri May 09, 2014 1:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

poofinger wrote:

that's a borderline one in the UK

BTF Rule - "Coverings below the knee and covering the arms are not permitted in non-wetsuit swims and pool based swims"

so does "covering the arms" mean the whole arm or just part of it??

the ITU rule is a bit clearer - "When the use of wetsuits is forbidden, clothing covering any part of the arms below the shoulders and clothing covering any part of the legs below the knees is also forbidden."

I would interpret the BTF rule as saying they should NOT be allowed
Slow-as*-Tri

PostPosted: Fri May 09, 2014 1:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

fat buddha wrote:
poofinger wrote:

BTF Rule - "Coverings below the knee and covering the arms are not permitted in non-wetsuit swims and pool based swims"

the ITU rule is a bit clearer - "When the use of wetsuits is forbidden, clothing covering any part of the arms below the shoulders and clothing covering any part of the legs below the knees is also forbidden."

Just read this and came out in a cold sweat...
I'm currently preparing for my first novice tri in 3 weeks time.. as it's a pool swim I thought I'd get away with a tri-suit, so purchased a traditional arm-less one, didn't like the fit under the arms (cause i'm still a fatty fatso, and the excess pinching of flesh under the arms was not attractive to say the least, let alone comfortable for swimming/running), so needless to say was delighted when this topic came up..
So happily I returned the original tri-suit (thanks wiggle.com) and purchased a short sleeve type, tried it on, happy days, nice and comfy, and not so self concious about the look Smile ...
But now i'm in a full panic, if I wear my nice new tri-suit in the upcoming pool swim triathlon am I going to be DQ'd before I even get my toes wet???
How strictly are these rules adhered too in novice events?

Any advice would be much appreciated!!

Ta.
Garreth6r4

PostPosted: Fri May 09, 2014 1:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I read it as they wouldn't be allowed.

From what I've read people using them in non wetsuit swims are using a swimskin and rolling the suit down to the waist under the swimskin - then unrolling it in T1 whilst after dropping the 'skin.

If that makes sense.

G
fat buddha

PostPosted: Fri May 09, 2014 1:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Slow-as*-Tri wrote:
fat buddha wrote:
poofinger wrote:

Just read this and came out in a cold sweat...
I'm currently preparing for my first novice tri in 3 weeks time.. as it's a pool swim I thought I'd get away with a tri-suit, so purchased a traditional arm-less one, didn't like the fit under the arms (cause i'm still a fatty fatso, and the excess pinching of flesh under the arms was not attractive to say the least, let alone comfortable for swimming/running), so needless to say was delighted when this topic came up..
So happily I returned the original tri-suit (thanks wiggle.com) and purchased a short sleeve type, tried it on, happy days, nice and comfy, and not so self concious about the look Smile ...
But now i'm in a full panic, if I wear my nice new tri-suit in the upcoming pool swim triathlon am I going to be DQ'd before I even get my toes wet???
How strictly are these rules adhered too in novice events?

Any advice would be much appreciated!!

Ta.

it will depend on how strict the race official (referee) is. technically they could DQ you, but we (and I'm an official) do try and make exceptions for beginners as most don't know the rules, and if they do, many do not understand kit rules which are now important. we'd rather you enjoy your 1st event and hope you keep racing in the future so my suggestion would be to go ahead to the event, explain to the race official your issue (maybe point at this thread) and I'm sure you will be fine- enjoy!

we try to make exceptions for newbies but with the experienced guys we'd be more strict.

but get yourself a copy of the BTF rulebook and read it....zzzzzzzzzzzzz. Wink there are obvious rules and not so obvious - the latter is where most issues arise.

Last edited by fat buddha on Fri May 09, 2014 2:01 pm; edited 1 time in total
fat buddha

PostPosted: Fri May 09, 2014 1:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Garreth6r4 wrote:
I read it as they wouldn't be allowed.

From what I've read people using them in non wetsuit swims are using a swimskin and rolling the suit down to the waist under the swimskin - then unrolling it in T1 whilst after dropping the 'skin.

If that makes sense.

G

swimskins are banned in non-wetsuit swims under BTF rules so anyone doing that is on a potential double DQ for swimskin and sleeves!! Laughing

but, here is confusion - WTC allow swimskins (provided they are from the approved list) in their non wetsuit swims. they're almost de rigeur at Kona.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    TriTalk.co.uk Forum Index -> Gear All times are GMT
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
Page 2 of 3

Jump to: