Tri Talk HomepageTri Talk EventsTri Talk ForumsBlogsTri Talk TrainingTri TradeTriPlayerWikiTeam Tri Talk
Calling all Ironpeople! I need your advice...

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Daz

PostPosted: Wed Mar 24, 2004 5:39 pm    Post subject: Calling all Ironpeople! I need your advice... Reply with quote

I need some advice from you accomplished ironman people. I've got my first (and maybe only) ironman coming up on july 18th - longest day. I want to be 100% for this race.

I'd also like to do the ND 30k run, but it's just 3 weeks before the ironman. But would this have an adverse affect?

I know a 16mile run 3-4 weeks before a marathon is handy, but 18.5miles 3 weeks before an ironman may be pushing it Confused
fast slow twitch

PostPosted: Thu Mar 25, 2004 10:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Daz, how are you building up to this 18.5 mile run??

To be honest, I would say that you need to be doing that, and three weeks out should not be a problem if you taper properly, watch your diet and get loads of sleep.

Say you do 6 - 7 miles per hour, then your long run is obviously going to be near 3hrs. Sounds ok to me - basically going down the right track.

The thing that I got wrong was the mega 'Iron' weekends. The 6 hrs Saturday bike and 3 hr run Sunday. This equates to rapid burnout for most people.

I split the long bike and run up now. Leave a few days between.

Hope this helps.

See you at Wolverhampton all being well.
"Deep in my cells I know there's something bad at the end if I don't get through it. This keeps me honest. It keeps me scared. I am stronger because I know there is a consequence. I know I can't get away with slacking off. . Mark Twight, Ice Climber
Big Bopper

PostPosted: Fri Mar 26, 2004 11:27 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Anything less than 20 miles 3 weeks before a race is fine. Just make sure that it is the last piece of full training that you do, and everything afterwards is part of the taper.

I wouldn't put everything you have into the 30k race though.

BB

P.S. See you at TLD!
Daz

PostPosted: Fri Mar 26, 2004 12:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yes I think I will go for it and use it as a training run.

Incidentally in going long it's recommended to do a long ride every sunday morning and the run in the week so you have time to recover from both. only trub is finding time to do a 2:30 run in the week Confused
Post new topic   Reply to topic    TriTalk.co.uk Forum Index -> Training All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: