Tri Talk HomepageTri Talk EventsTri Talk ForumsBlogsTri Talk TrainingTri TradeTriPlayerWikiTeam Tri Talk
High cholesterol
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Tin Pot

PostPosted: Fri Dec 26, 2014 9:55 pm    Post subject: High cholesterol Reply with quote

Hi all, hope you all had a happy Christmas.

Got a diagnosis of high cholesterol on the 23rd, so the GP has given me a standard sheet of paper on diet: avoid saturated fat, base meals on carbohydrates. Was anticipating a terminal diagnosis, so it's positive news really. Smile

Happy to do what's necessary but I wasn't a fan of carbs last year, and still gained 9% of my body weight all in belly fat.

Still it's another motivator IMO so really looking for advice on diet again as I start increasing my training from the current 30min run per week(!) The NHS advise diet drinks, rice and pasta and other stuff I traditionally avoid.

Does cholesterol affect zone based training? I'm happy sticking in Z2 for three months if it helps?
Sprint '16 1h17, '14 1h40, '13 2h01
Half Mara '16 2h04, '14 2h07
10 Mile TT '16 00:26:30
Trail 10K '16 54:01 '13 54:46
christopher

PostPosted: Sat Dec 27, 2014 7:08 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Can't give too much advice but I have very high cholesterol - however it's never affected any of my training or racing and I don't even give it a second thought. You should find as you increase your training it will come down a little, but it won't be instantaneous - think months to years as opposed to days and weeks.
Tigger

PostPosted: Sat Dec 27, 2014 7:58 am    Post subject: Re: High cholesterol Reply with quote

You might want to read Cholesterol Clarity by Jimmy Moore and Dr Eric Westman. If reading is not your thing then google "Cholesterol Clarity podcast" or even try youtube Very Happy
icehockeyhair

PostPosted: Sat Dec 27, 2014 9:42 am    Post subject: Re: High cholesterol Reply with quote

Tin Pot wrote:
Got a diagnosis of high cholesterol ... wasn't a fan of carbs last year, and still gained 9% of my body weight

(bit ot op but) elevated cholesterol and unexplained weight gain ... have you had a thyroid function test?
Tin Pot

PostPosted: Sat Dec 27, 2014 3:27 pm    Post subject: Re: High cholesterol Reply with quote

icehockeyhair wrote:
Tin Pot wrote:
Got a diagnosis of high cholesterol ... wasn't a fan of carbs last year, and still gained 9% of my body weight

(bit ot op but) elevated cholesterol and unexplained weight gain ... have you had a thyroid function test?

How coincidental. - my sister was diagnosed two months back with underactive thyroid...(!)

Would that not show up in my blood test results?
Tin Pot

PostPosted: Sat Dec 27, 2014 4:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

christopher wrote:
Can't give too much advice but I have very high cholesterol - however it's never affected any of my training or racing and I don't even give it a second thought. You should find as you increase your training it will come down a little, but it won't be instantaneous - think months to years as opposed to days and weeks.

Yeah, three months is the next blood test. If it hasn't come down, he'll prescribe medication - I'd rather avoid that.
jibberjim

PostPosted: Sat Dec 27, 2014 4:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Tin Pot wrote:
Yeah, three months is the next blood test. If it hasn't come down, he'll prescribe medication - I'd rather avoid that.

You're not obliged to take it, even if he prescribes it...
explorerJC

PostPosted: Sat Dec 27, 2014 6:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

i ate walnuts, chia seeds and took garlic tablets daily to get mine down...

www.naturalrunningform.co.uk Natural Running Form Coach

2018 Training Camps http://www.appliedtri.co.uk/training-camps/
gingeadams

PostPosted: Sat Dec 27, 2014 7:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yeah, I was also offered statins.

'Thanks, but no thanks' Smile
icehockeyhair

PostPosted: Sat Dec 27, 2014 9:06 pm    Post subject: Re: High cholesterol Reply with quote

Tin Pot wrote:
icehockeyhair wrote:
Tin Pot wrote:

How coincidental. - my sister was diagnosed two months back with underactive thyroid...(!)

Would that not show up in my blood test results?

you can have hypothyroidism and still have 'normal' test results (not trying to diagnose you, op, and ianad Smile , just know s/o who has it and the cholesterol/weight combo rang a bell)
Slowtwitching

PostPosted: Sun Dec 28, 2014 10:17 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hmm, there are many reports out there saying that high cholesterol might not be a contributing factor to heart health after all.

My 85 year old mother has high cholesterol and has had for years and is still fighting fit.

I too have high cholesterol.
PKayley

PostPosted: Mon Dec 29, 2014 9:30 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

High cholesterol does NOT correlate with heart disease

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=scKOXqtHdT8
The Couch Potato

PostPosted: Mon Dec 29, 2014 9:32 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

PKayley wrote:
High cholesterol does NOT correlate with heart disease

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=scKOXqtHdT8

Thanks for sharing that
Tin Pot

PostPosted: Mon Dec 29, 2014 5:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

So the BHF are wrong saying this?

https://www.bhf.org.uk/heart-health/risk-factors/high-cholesterol
Tigger

PostPosted: Mon Dec 29, 2014 6:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Tin Pot wrote:
So the BHF are wrong saying this?

https://www.bhf.org.uk/heart-health/risk-factors/high-cholesterol

My answer is: I think you will find that it is a bit more complicated than that.

The BHF website is written for a wide range of people who may, for example, just be consuming chocolate, pizza, burgers and chips and who want to read a quick summary. It is not intended to be a complete. And it doesn't mention the different views that people have (i.e. it is not settled science).

So for example, it says

BHF wrote:
Low-density lipoproteins (LDL) is known as the bad type of cholesterol. LDL carry cholesterol from your liver to the cells that need it.

But a more detailed answer would be along the lines:

Cholesterol Clarity wrote:
There are two major classifications of LDL particles that can be measured: Pattern A is the large, fluffy, and generally harmless kind that is described as “good” LDL (yes, there is such a thing); Pattern B is the small, dense, potentially dangerous kind that is described as “bad.” Pattern B LDL can easily penetrate the arterial wall, compromising your heart health. This is what you are trying to avoid at all costs, so knowing the breakdown of your LDL particles is critical to determining overall heart health.

But when the tests that the doctor gives you just says "LDL" then what is the point of the BHF saying that?

The BHF also talk about the risks associated with saturated fat. My concern here is that this is a "common sense" answer rather than something that is evidence based (in the scientific sense). For example, eating more fat and less carbohydrates may have a bigger impact on overall heart health (e.g. because of a reduction in arterial inflammation).

My understanding is that high cholesterol by itself will not harm you. But if you have arterial inflammation it will. So I go back to my "it's a bit more complicated than that".
Post new topic   Reply to topic    TriTalk.co.uk Forum Index -> Training All times are GMT
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Page 1 of 4

Jump to: