Tri Talk HomepageTri Talk EventsTri Talk ForumsBlogsTri Talk TrainingTri TradeTriPlayerWikiTeam Tri Talk
The Elephant in the Track & Field Room
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  

Too good to be true?
I'm a believer
9%
 9%  [ 4 ]
"Not Normal"
90%
 90%  [ 38 ]
Total Votes : 42

KingstonGraham

PostPosted: Mon Nov 16, 2015 10:21 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Chris_Swyer wrote:
Trying to remain optimistic - thankfully I'll never need to worry about being an elite.

https://richmondrider.wordpress.com/2015/11/15/contrary-to-popular-belief-running-didnt-die-this-week/

If that's the optimistic view for elite athletics (noone cares really what the elites do, and you can't be sure that anyone isn't doping except yourself) - they are in trouble.

I think it is worse for them than cycling - at least cycling has scenery and tactics to keep you interested when you aren't really interested in the result.
Whisk

PostPosted: Mon Nov 16, 2015 10:36 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

KingstonGraham wrote:
Chris_Swyer wrote:
Trying to remain optimistic - thankfully I'll never need to worry about being an elite.

https://richmondrider.wordpress.com/2015/11/15/contrary-to-popular-belief-running-didnt-die-this-week/

If that's the optimistic view for elite athletics (noone cares really what the elites do, and you can't be sure that anyone isn't doping except yourself) - they are in trouble.

I think it is worse for them than cycling - at least cycling has scenery and tactics to keep you interested when you aren't really interested in the result.

As an activity, I think they're probably right. Lance Armstrong's eventual downfall might have turned some people away from watching pro cycling, but I'm sure it didn't stop folks riding their bikes and there are plenty of people who ride their bikes regularly who have no interest in watching bike racing.

What I could see it doing though is cause parents to be reluctant to encourage their kids to take up competitive athletics. One of the better arguments against the suggestion that drug taking should be legalised is the question of when people would be happy for their kids to start taking drugs if they wanted to be cyclists.
jibberjim

PostPosted: Mon Nov 16, 2015 10:44 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Whisk wrote:
What I could see it doing though is cause parents to be reluctant to encourage their kids to take up competitive athletics.

Or would a revolution in drugs in life change people to start doping their children in other areas? Aerobic health and intelligence are related, so early aerobic doping is likely a good target for competitive parents...
explorerJC

PostPosted: Mon Nov 16, 2015 11:44 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

So, the elephant in the room was Seb Coe himself...

Who would have thought...?

www.naturalrunningform.co.uk Natural Running Form Coach

2017 Training Camps http://www.appliedtri.co.uk/training-camps/
TransitionTed

PostPosted: Mon Nov 16, 2015 12:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

jibberjim wrote:
Whisk wrote:
What I could see it doing though is cause parents to be reluctant to encourage their kids to take up competitive athletics.

Or would a revolution in drugs in life change people to start doping their children in other areas? Aerobic health and intelligence are related, so early aerobic doping is likely a good target for competitive parents...

i think that particular parent would have to be especially clued up, with the contacts and knowledge to perform such a thing on a methodical basis. Or have an very special arrangement with their child's coach

im not saying it couldnt happen, Im just saying the parents I know who have sporty kids (high level athletics and swimming for their age) wouldnt have that sort of knowledge base or drive.
TransitionTed

PostPosted: Mon Nov 16, 2015 12:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

explorerJC wrote:

he doesnt look much like an elephant

that was our first mistake
KingstonGraham

PostPosted: Mon Nov 16, 2015 12:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

TransitionTed wrote:
jibberjim wrote:
Whisk wrote:

i think that particular parent would have to be especially clued up, with the contacts and knowledge to perform such a thing on a methodical basis. Or have an very special arrangement with their child's coach

im not saying it couldnt happen, Im just saying the parents I know who have sporty kids (high level athletics and swimming for their age) wouldnt have that sort of knowledge base or drive.

I've just read Andre Agassi's autobiography. His dad would have done.
TransitionTed

PostPosted: Mon Nov 16, 2015 12:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

KingstonGraham wrote:
TransitionTed wrote:
jibberjim wrote:
Whisk wrote:

probably the williams sister's dad too, but, on the whole i aint convinced
TransitionTed

PostPosted: Mon Nov 16, 2015 12:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

TransitionTed wrote:
KingstonGraham wrote:
TransitionTed wrote:
jibberjim wrote:
Whisk wrote:

probably the williams sister's dad too, but, on the whole i aint convinced

plus he's from vegas too, where money talks and bullsh1t walks, eh?
explorerJC

PostPosted: Mon Nov 16, 2015 1:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

TransitionTed wrote:
explorerJC wrote:

he doesnt look much like an elephant

that was our first mistake

Indeed...I wish he had been that big 30 odd years ago....I might have stood a chance...

explorerJC

PostPosted: Mon Nov 16, 2015 1:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

TransitionTed wrote:
jibberjim wrote:
Whisk wrote:

That's where the bigger risk comes in.....people out of their depth messing with potentially risky stuff

Jorgan

PostPosted: Mon Nov 16, 2015 2:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Anyone see the stuff in the press recently about the kids on the Chinese national swim team? The 17yo girl who died in her sleep, and the 16yo boy setting Chinese national records.
explorerJC

PostPosted: Mon Nov 16, 2015 3:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Jorgan wrote:
Anyone see the stuff in the press recently about the kids on the Chinese national swim team? The 17yo girl who died in her sleep, and the 16yo boy setting Chinese national records.

I have some swimmer friends...no, don't laugh....and they have been concerned for several years

hammerer

PostPosted: Tue Nov 17, 2015 9:40 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The Chinese swimmers have been under suspicion for a while. Obviously leading up to Beijing they had massive pressure to succeed. Even going back further than the examples of recent years, look at the problems and positives of the swimmers all through the 90's, and wasnt there massive issues in the 80's as well of state funded doping?
Andy916

PostPosted: Tue Nov 17, 2015 4:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Bizarre that the emphasis is on Russia paying bribes rather than on IAAF acceptance of the bribes ... http://www.scienceofrunning.com/2015/11/7-quick-thoughts-on-iaaf-corruption-and.html
Post new topic   Reply to topic    TriTalk.co.uk Forum Index -> Off-Topic All times are GMT
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10  Next
Page 9 of 10

Jump to: