Tri Talk HomepageTri Talk EventsTri Talk ForumsBlogsTri Talk TrainingTri TradeTriPlayerWikiTeam Tri Talk
Zwift, anyone from TT land on it?
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 9, 10, 11, 12  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
jibberjim

PostPosted: Mon Jan 28, 2019 4:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

hammerer wrote:
jibberjim wrote:
Who's going to enter the BC event, so you can win a stripey jersey to turbo in!

Cycling Australia have copped a bit of flak over giving out a national jersey to the winner of theirs. stuck in the past wool jumper types not happy about the loss of traditions. Also with the way equipment is so variable and can be messed about with very easily its pretty much pointless unless its run in an open environment with Neo's all round and then witness the riders weigh in's. The lengths people go to to dope in real life, clearly when its as easy as an Ant + sim or not calibrating your trainer or even putting 65 instead of 85 kilos the results are meaningless

The event is in person, although I did wonder about cheating on the qualifying which is done at home, such that the final was full of comical people.... But the final at least will be pretty fair.
hammerer

PostPosted: Mon Jan 28, 2019 11:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

jibberjim wrote:
hammerer wrote:
jibberjim wrote:
Who's going to enter the BC event, so you can win a stripey jersey to turbo in!

Cycling Australia have copped a bit of flak over giving out a national jersey to the winner of theirs. stuck in the past wool jumper types not happy about the loss of traditions. Also with the way equipment is so variable and can be messed about with very easily its pretty much pointless unless its run in an open environment with Neo's all round and then witness the riders weigh in's. The lengths people go to to dope in real life, clearly when its as easy as an Ant + sim or not calibrating your trainer or even putting 65 instead of 85 kilos the results are meaningless

The event is in person, although I did wonder about cheating on the qualifying which is done at home, such that the final was full of comical people.... But the final at least will be pretty fair.

Australia wasn't, it was remote but the British champs has changed as BC are partnering with Zwift so doing it with heats and a live final.
explorerJC

PostPosted: Tue Jan 29, 2019 10:08 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

i 'ran' on Zwify yesterday...i can't say it was a stimulating experience...

www.naturalrunningform.co.uk Natural Running Form Coach

2018 Training Camps http://www.appliedtri.co.uk/training-camps/
Jorgan

PostPosted: Tue Jan 29, 2019 11:15 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Only results in the real world count, where you pin a number on. Zwift should really just be viewed as a virtual cycling game.
hammerer

PostPosted: Tue Jan 29, 2019 3:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

explorerJC wrote:

Ive been using the run a bit at the gym. It's no where near as good as cycling as there is no gradient control and your speed never changes. Think they need to wait for some bluetooth enabled gradient control treadmills to be widely available, but not sure that will help much. Its just not as engaging as cycling.
explorerJC

PostPosted: Tue Jan 29, 2019 8:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

hammerer wrote:
explorerJC wrote:

Ive been using the run a bit at the gym. It's no where near as good as cycling as there is no gradient control and your speed never changes. Think they need to wait for some bluetooth enabled gradient control treadmills to be widely available, but not sure that will help much. Its just not as engaging as cycling.

i think i am still there now, stretching on the side of the road in london...

Jorgan

PostPosted: Wed Jan 30, 2019 8:58 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

jibberjim wrote:

I don't know about 'cheating' but there's a local guy I follow who's FTP is well over 5w/kg, and he has ridden the Alpe in under 40 min. Apparently weighs 65kg. What I do know, is that in 2016 he was over 10 min slower than me in a 180km bike split, and last year rode 6:00 in IMCH! He is a decent cyclist, but I don't know wtf is going on with those IM rides if his numbers are legit!
Jorgan

PostPosted: Wed Jan 30, 2019 1:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I did a 'cat & mouse' event this lunchtime, for something different; basically a group handicap race. Only wanted to do an hour, and tbh this was going to be more intense than I should be riding today! I managed to stay with the B group until we caught the C Cat group and I was caught napping....the group split and the front B Cat group got 5 secs on a few of us and we just couldn't close the gap. When I hit 50 mins I started a cool-down at which point the A Group went flying last; I would have tried to hang on them on another day.

You do learn quite a bit doing the races! Definitely a bit harder to judge on a 'dumb' trainer with PM too.
explorerJC

PostPosted: Wed Jan 30, 2019 5:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Jorgan wrote:
I did a 'cat & mouse' event this lunchtime, for something different; basically a group handicap race. Only wanted to do an hour, and tbh this was going to be more intense than I should be riding today! I managed to stay with the B group until we caught the C Cat group and I was caught napping....the group split and the front B Cat group got 5 secs on a few of us and we just couldn't close the gap. When I hit 50 mins I started a cool-down at which point the A Group went flying last; I would have tried to hang on them on another day.

You do learn quite a bit doing the races! Definitely a bit harder to judge on a 'dumb' trainer with PM too.

sounds interesting...i may look out for one of those...

hammerer

PostPosted: Fri Feb 01, 2019 9:46 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Jorgan wrote:
jibberjim wrote:

I don't know about 'cheating' but there's a local guy I follow who's FTP is well over 5w/kg, and he has ridden the Alpe in under 40 min. Apparently weighs 65kg. What I do know, is that in 2016 he was over 10 min slower than me in a 180km bike split, and last year rode 6:00 in IMCH! He is a decent cyclist, but I don't know wtf is going on with those IM rides if his numbers are legit!

The Swiss ladies national champion last year is rumoured...actually its almost certain, a man from the US. Zwift introduced a rule that the winners must show a national federation licence...but guess what, you can order many national licences with no real checks on line Rolling Eyes
hammerer

PostPosted: Fri Feb 01, 2019 9:48 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Jorgan wrote:

many of the top Zwift racers set the slider bar to <50% and loads do it on zero essentially making it a dumb trainer. When you use the slider on full its too hard to put the power out downhill otherwise.
Jorgan

PostPosted: Mon Feb 04, 2019 10:19 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

hammerer wrote:
many of the top Zwift racers set the slider bar to <50% and loads do it on zero essentially making it a dumb trainer. When you use the slider on full its too hard to put the power out downhill otherwise.

So not really a disadvantage then with PM & dumb trainer?

I did a longer race yesterday. Again caught in no-mans-land for most of it and it ended-up like an 80 min TT!
ttowel

PostPosted: Mon Feb 04, 2019 4:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Tried out zwift, bit late the to party, but must say the 2004 Imagic was a more immersive experience.

Zwift just seems like going for a bike ride around Beijing at rush hour
hammerer

PostPosted: Tue Feb 05, 2019 9:03 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

ttowel wrote:
Tried out zwift, bit late the to party, but must say the 2004 Imagic was a more immersive experience.

Zwift just seems like going for a bike ride around Beijing at rush hour

what map was you on? Makes a big difference IMO as some are better than others. Watopia is the best with good variety, london (well the surrey hills part) is also ok. Futuristic NY can be OK for novelty but main central london part, Innsbruck and Richmond are a bit poor. it is way too busy at times. having only one world with short courses meant a procession on some days, now you have 2 choices at once which makes it a bit less busy but still not ideal.
ttowel

PostPosted: Tue Feb 05, 2019 9:06 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Not sure it makes much difference.

Imagic was immersive as it was the original smart trainer with gradient/resistance changes, but without being smart, ie estimated power, no ant+ or bluetooth but cable controlled. I dont have that facility now, Zwift is just on a wattbike for a passive workout but have no intention of changing that.

Tried a couple of races but its nowhere near a level playing field as paced can just change unrealistically.

That said, it has made me enjoy riding a bit more than I would normally at this time of year
Post new topic   Reply to topic    TriTalk.co.uk Forum Index -> Training All times are GMT
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 9, 10, 11, 12  Next
Page 10 of 12

Jump to: