Tri Talk HomepageTri Talk EventsTri Talk ForumsBlogsTri Talk TrainingTri TradeTriPlayerWikiTeam Tri Talk
Zwift, anyone from TT land on it?
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 14, 15, 16, 17  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
FatPom

PostPosted: Fri Mar 08, 2019 3:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Whisk wrote:
FatPom wrote:
Jorgan wrote:
FatPom wrote:
Yeah it's just like the real thing, not Very Happy Everyone has a plan until they get punched in the face. Wink

Not worried about authenticity (it's full of 'cheaters' anyway). I just find it a really engaging way of beasting myself!

Yeah it is pretty good. i like the hare n hounds races but hard to get virtual racers to work together because they don't understand the tactic well.

I guess you can't call someone a c@#t if they don't come through and do a turn Very Happy Wink

haha ain't that the truth. Cool
mattsurf

PostPosted: Fri Mar 08, 2019 5:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

It seems to be a common tactic to put in a massive push on the incline to split the group, if you are caught napping and get 1 second off the peloton itís game over.

We employ similar tactics on our regular club rides when the group is too big, you canít split the group on the flat, but a small incline is perfect
straightouttabrompton

PostPosted: Sat Mar 09, 2019 3:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I used to really enjoy the racing when my FTP / Kg put me in the B category. Although I never won anything I used to enjoy the challenge of trying to stay with the group until the end. But now my FTP has gone up and I'm in the A category (but at the very bottom) I don't enjoy it anymore. I just get dropped after 10/15 mins and then I don't have the same motivation to keep on pushing on my own.
jibberjim

PostPosted: Sat Mar 09, 2019 5:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

straightouttabrompton wrote:
I used to really enjoy the racing when my FTP / Kg put me in the B category. Although I never won anything I used to enjoy the challenge of trying to stay with the group until the end. But now my FTP has gone up and I'm in the A category (but at the very bottom) I don't enjoy it anymore. I just get dropped after 10/15 mins and then I don't have the same motivation to keep on pushing on my own.

So change your weight!
straightouttabrompton

PostPosted: Sat Mar 09, 2019 8:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm not comfortable with the idea of changing my weight. I think it would be better if everyone was just honest about their weight on zwift, rather than manipulating it (either way) in order to better fit racing cats
jibberjim

PostPosted: Sun Mar 10, 2019 9:32 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

straightouttabrompton wrote:
I'm not comfortable with the idea of changing my weight. I think it would be better if everyone was just honest about their weight on zwift, rather than manipulating it (either way) in order to better fit racing cats

It's a game, you get more enjoyment in the level below, race in the level below. Even in sport though there's absolutely nothing unusual about that in bike racing, LVRC and lots of BC masters cycling is based on "pick your own category", there's nothing unusual about it.
ttowel

PostPosted: Mon Mar 11, 2019 8:25 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The group rides are more fun, especially with after party or final lap blasts.

The Tron Challenge events are steady 20k rides then balls deep up the Alp, ride as hard as you like.
Chrace

PostPosted: Wed Mar 13, 2019 12:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

So. I tried Zwift last night with my newly acquired Tacx Flux, just to see what he fuzz is about. I expected to get bored at best, with no real benefit to my training since I am quite capable of pushing my own limit just by myself.

So cruising along on the free 25km intro up that silly volcano looking at the crap graphics my 8-year old daughter could have drawn better, and movement of my bike like gravity is non-existent since it can easily ride at 45-degree angle when passing other players.

Then this american comes up behind me at 3.2w/kg when I am riding at 2.8w/kg. I decide to play and hang on in drafting. He accelerates. I follow. I decide to drop him and put the hammer down popping the 600w+ badge. I only get 10 secs on him and he catches me, then drops me. But he stays 20 secs ahead, obviously hurt a bit by the effort. So I slowly ramp up in IM style and just push that extra 10% to get in his draft zone again. He notices and tries to drop me, but this time I hang on. And when he slows I hammer past and really drop him this time. "R. Pummer has finished his program" or whatever - he dropped out. Muahhaaaa, I win!

Then I realize - oh.. I did get caught up in it.

Stats afterwards:
My FTP was 245w tested not that long ago. The celebration message stating my FTP has now been upgraded to 258w, based on a 267w 20 min effort, was NOT expected.

I've just subscribed. Still think it's boring, but it bloody well worked.
explorerJC

PostPosted: Wed Mar 13, 2019 12:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Chrace wrote:
So. I tried Zwift last night with my newly acquired Tacx Flux, just to see what he fuzz is about. I expected to get bored at best, with no real benefit to my training since I am quite capable of pushing my own limit just by myself.

So cruising along on the free 25km intro up that silly volcano looking at the crap graphics my 8-year old daughter could have drawn better, and movement of my bike like gravity is non-existent since it can easily ride at 45-degree angle when passing other players.

Then this american comes up behind me at 3.2w/kg when I am riding at 2.8w/kg. I decide to play and hang on in drafting. He accelerates. I follow. I decide to drop him and put the hammer down popping the 600w+ badge. I only get 10 secs on him and he catches me, then drops me. But he stays 20 secs ahead, obviously hurt a bit by the effort. So I slowly ramp up in IM style and just push that extra 10% to get in his draft zone again. He notices and tries to drop me, but this time I hang on. And when he slows I hammer past and really drop him this time. "R. Pummer has finished his program" or whatever - he dropped out. Muahhaaaa, I win!

Stats afterwards:
My FTP was 245w tested not that long ago. The celebration message stating my FTP has now been upgraded to 258w, based on a 267w 20 min effort, was NOT expected.

endless possibilities...

for motor doping...

www.naturalrunningform.co.uk Natural Running Form Coach

2018 Training Camps http://www.appliedtri.co.uk/training-camps/
mattsurf

PostPosted: Wed Mar 13, 2019 1:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Chrace wrote:

Stats afterwards:

Not a big fan of the volcano circuit personally. However, the best fun on Zwift are the races, they are really tactical - based on your figures you should try to race in B category
SidSnot

PostPosted: Wed Mar 13, 2019 2:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

mattsurf wrote:
Chrace wrote:

Stats afterwards:

Not a big fan of the volcano circuit personally. However, the best fun on Zwift are the races, they are really tactical - based on your figures you should try to race in B category

It kinda sucks you in like that.

+1 on the races
Jorgan

PostPosted: Wed Mar 13, 2019 3:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Wow, did a flat race today, are they hard or what! Managed to stay with with the front bunch until the last of 4 laps, where a little split did for me. I found myself riding the last 5km in a group of 6; well at least until I used the featherweight boost on a small incline with 2km to go, and I only got away Ekimov style Very Happy I think 2km is a good distance for me, as I can hold it being a TTer/Triathlete, and others are reticent to bite that far out.

Managed my best race 20 min power on Zwift thus far with 274w (3.8 w/kg). Ended-up 36th/146 and 14th/29 in B Cat. Didn't do a Brick after this one, as it wiped me out last week Surprised
Chrace

PostPosted: Wed Mar 13, 2019 6:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Krikey. Just started actually calculating w/kg.

In 2015 I was about 82kg and 300w FTP = 3.65w/kg.

Currently 78kg so only need to hit 285w for same w/kg. And at target of 72kg it'd mean 263w which I'm almost at. Going the whole hog and regain 300w FTP at 72kg would be a monumental 4.17w/kg.

I've just regained faith in actually being able to do that X bike. Lower weight is far more important than I had realized until now!
mattsurf

PostPosted: Thu Mar 14, 2019 8:10 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Chrace wrote:

Currently 78kg so only need to hit 285w for same w/kg. And at target of 72kg it'd mean 263w which I'm almost at. Going the whole hog and regain 300w FTP at 72kg would be a monumental 4.17w/kg.

I've just regained faith in actually being able to do that X bike. Lower weight is far more important than I had realized until now!

Weight in Zwift is pretty important, but also recently discovered that zwift also uses height in its calculation of cda... which is leading to height doping

On a hilly race in zwift, weight is very significant, however on a flat race, it is slightly less important, but absolute power is very important: light riders tend to do well in the hills, heavy, power riders do well on flat races

In the real world, I have really noticed a difference now that I am lighter than I have ever been in my adult life, I am finding that I can easily climb hills on the big ring, where last year I was dropping to the smaller ring
Chrace

PostPosted: Thu Mar 14, 2019 12:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

mattsurf wrote:
Chrace wrote:

Weight in Zwift is pretty important, but also recently discovered that zwift also uses height in its calculation of cda... which is leading to height doping

On a hilly race in zwift, weight is very significant, however on a flat race, it is slightly less important, but absolute power is very important: light riders tend to do well in the hills, heavy, power riders do well on flat races

In the real world, I have really noticed a difference now that I am lighter than I have ever been in my adult life, I am finding that I can easily climb hills on the big ring, where last year I was dropping to the smaller ring

I'm really not bothered about Zwift, but real world performance is absolutely where my focus is. It was the maths of importance in weight dropping that stunned me.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    TriTalk.co.uk Forum Index -> Training All times are GMT
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 14, 15, 16, 17  Next
Page 15 of 17

Jump to: