Tri Talk HomepageTri Talk EventsTri Talk ForumsBlogsTri Talk TrainingTri TradeTriPlayerWikiTeam Tri Talk
New tyres for road bike.
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Ready

PostPosted: Mon May 04, 2015 7:46 am    Post subject: New tyres for road bike. Reply with quote

Hi all

I need a new set of tyres for my road bike but cannot decide what to get can anyone recomend some?

George
Nobbie

PostPosted: Mon May 04, 2015 7:52 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

GP4000s
largeade

PostPosted: Mon May 04, 2015 7:52 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

ditto
SuperSonic

PostPosted: Mon May 04, 2015 8:58 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ditto - 25mm
Ready

PostPosted: Mon May 04, 2015 12:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Cheers all

I was looking at these.

One other question is it worth running 23 on the front and 25 on rear I have 23 on both at moment?

George
Nobbie

PostPosted: Mon May 04, 2015 1:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yes
SuperSonic

PostPosted: Tue May 05, 2015 12:37 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I run 25 on both front and rear.
Whisk

PostPosted: Tue May 05, 2015 8:48 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The guys from Conti reckon that the 25 is a quicker tyre than the 23 - it's got a lower rolling resistance and more grip through the corners.

The rolling resistance on a 28 would be lower still, but the added weight starts to offset the benefits and you start to get frame clearance issues with some frames.
Ready

PostPosted: Tue May 05, 2015 1:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Interesting thanks everyone for the comments.

I'm not sure what size to get
23 on both but sound like they would be slightly slower.
23 front 25 rear
25 on both

Some research tonigh me thinks.
Lanterne_Rouge

PostPosted: Tue May 05, 2015 5:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Whisk wrote:
The guys from Conti reckon that the 25 is a quicker tyre than the 23 - it's got a lower rolling resistance and more grip through the corners.

The rolling resistance on a 28 would be lower still, but the added weight starts to offset the benefits and you start to get frame clearance issues with some frames.

I was running 25's and loved the ride. The only downside I found was that when running SRAM Force calipers I had to let the tyre down to remove or insert the wheel. I found the clearance the SRAM Caliper gave with the release fully open wasn't enough to get the wheel to pop out fully inflated. I've gone back to 23s to get around this issue.
SuperSonic

PostPosted: Tue May 05, 2015 6:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Lanterne_Rouge wrote:

I was running 25's and loved the ride. The only downside I found was that when running SRAM Force calipers I had to let the tyre down to remove or insert the wheel. I found the clearance the SRAM Caliper gave with the release fully open wasn't enough to get the wheel to pop out fully inflated. I've gone back to 23s to get around this issue.

I have to do the same with my ultegra calipers too - but it's not a big issue. If I was planning to take the wheel off then I'd have a pump to hand, and if I wasn't planning to take the wheel off then it's flat anyway...
The_Exile

PostPosted: Tue May 05, 2015 9:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Is the advantage of the 25mm that they offer more comfort? Or is there more to it than that?
SuperSonic

PostPosted: Tue May 05, 2015 9:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

As Whisk wrote earlier - wider tyres generally have a lower rolling resistance, but you get the added comfort as well.

The increase in width does in theory make you less aero - but I work on the basis that a reduced rolling resistance helps at all speeds whereas to notice the aero difference of a 2mm wider tyre - you'd probably need to be going faster than I ride.
Andy916

PostPosted: Wed May 06, 2015 9:45 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

If Conti could make tyres the actual width they're supposed to be then I'd take their speed claims a bit more seriously! (plus the aforementioned aero trade-off, which will depend on matching to rim width too)

GP4000S is the safe bet and it's the front width that's going to figure in aerodynamics. Attack/Force combo has basically the same construction but is nominally 22mm front, 24mm rear. My current Attack front measures 23mm, whilst a previous one measured 21-22mm. They work fine on my TT bike, and I use 4000S 23mm elsewhere. Might try 25mm 4000S on rear for the sketchy roads of Wasdale X, as I'm finding my aero-road bike a bit harsh (Giant Propel, compared to an older TCR Alliance, and indeed compared to my Cervelo P2C).

You could try other 200g race tyres but my experience of various Ultremos, for example, is that they're not as robust as the Contis.
Jorgan

PostPosted: Wed May 06, 2015 10:20 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm a bit of a Conti fanboy too, but for the sake of variety, you may also want to consider the new S Works Turbo (24mm) or the Vittoria Open Corsa Evo; the Vittoria is a really fast & supple tyre, but not as hard wearing as a the Conti as an everyday tyre.

If you want something that will last forever but with a Crr trade-off, buy Tufo Very Happy (I use Tufos as spare tubulars, as they roll-up very small).
Post new topic   Reply to topic    TriTalk.co.uk Forum Index -> Gear All times are GMT
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next
Page 1 of 3

Jump to: