Tri Talk HomepageTri Talk EventsTri Talk ForumsBlogsTri Talk TrainingTri TradeTriPlayerWikiTeam Tri Talk
New tyres for road bike.
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
fenix

PostPosted: Wed May 06, 2015 11:28 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

SuperSonic wrote:
Lanterne_Rouge wrote:

I was running 25's and loved the ride. The only downside I found was that when running SRAM Force calipers I had to let the tyre down to remove or insert the wheel. I found the clearance the SRAM Caliper gave with the release fully open wasn't enough to get the wheel to pop out fully inflated. I've gone back to 23s to get around this issue.

I have to do the same with my ultegra calipers too - but it's not a big issue. If I was planning to take the wheel off then I'd have a pump to hand, and if I wasn't planning to take the wheel off then it's flat anyway...
#

Just remember to put the wheel back in to inflate it ! Its a bit of a PITA - but you can work round it. Its a hassle if I put the bike in the car with the front wheel off...
The_Exile

PostPosted: Wed May 06, 2015 11:33 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Are the GP4000S better than the Gatorskins? I found these a nightmare to change and they made me scared to go round corners.

I was advised to get Vittoria Evo Corsa - but reading up on these is it seems they do not last well, especially on ropey chip sealed roads.
Andy916

PostPosted: Wed May 06, 2015 12:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The_Exile wrote:
Are the GP4000S better than the Gatorskins?

Yes. Completely different.
hammerer

PostPosted: Wed May 06, 2015 1:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Continental tubs are a right bugger to fit and the 4seasons clinchers I had were very tight also. Evos are a much easier tub to fit. Id still go 4000s for a race clincher though
Jorgan

PostPosted: Wed May 06, 2015 1:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yep, folding Contis are a bitch and you can't stretch them like a tubular (kevlar bead).

I recently bought a <160g Tufo tub as a spare; when I opened it I had to check the sidewall as I thought they'd sent a 26" tyre! After some serious stretching with my foot and a few tie-wraps to get it on the rim we were there. It now sits on that rim until I need it.
SwimsLikeAWalrus

PostPosted: Mon Jul 31, 2017 7:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm in the market for some new tyres - IM coming up in September and my old Ultremos have died.

For comfort GP4000s 25mm are the best (but there is the Ultegra calliper issue.)

To get round this 23mm probably still more comfortable than the skinny Ultremos though?

Does this advice still hold?

Thank you
GrahamO

PostPosted: Tue Aug 01, 2017 3:34 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

SwimsLikeAWalrus wrote:
but there is the Ultegra calliper issue.

Is it really a practical issue ?

If you have flat, then the tyre is deflated so its not a problem.

If the tyre isnt flat, and you're doing maintenance or reconfig, then you'll have a track pump with you most likely?

Its probably still less faff than having disc brakes and having to change one of those wheels.

GP4000S for me still
mattsurf

PostPosted: Tue Aug 01, 2017 6:59 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

What Ultegra Caliper issue? I used to run 25mm GP4000 II on Reynolds Attack rims with Ultegra Calipers, no issue at all - I now run 28mm Specialized Turbo Cottons, still not issues getting wheel on and off, so I guess it all depends on your wheel width

For what it is worth, the 28mm Specialized Turbo Cottons feel nicer than the GP4000 - I have more confidence descending, they are so much more comfortable on Witshire's rubbish road surface, and I have not noticed any reduction in speed, if anything that are slightly quicker. I have had one puncture in 1200 miles
leahnp

PostPosted: Tue Aug 01, 2017 8:09 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm a big fan of the schwalbe pro one tyre, supple, good crr and you can run tubeless.
11 miles into a TT last night my rear tyre starts to hiss and then I realise I have a puncture, before I have time think it over the puncture is sealed and still in the game with 9 miles to go. Second overall with a softer tyre and 40s down on the winner.
Whisk

PostPosted: Tue Aug 01, 2017 8:38 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think the "calliper issue" is more down to the wheels that you are using them with. Older wheels tend to be narrower as they were designed for the narrower tyres that everyone used to use. That means that a 25mm tyre balloons out quite a lot when fully inflated.

Newer wheels tend to be wider as the latest thinking is that wider wheels are better than narrow, so the tyre doesn't bulge out over the rim and you would have the callipers set slightly wider to start with. If you try to put an older, narrower wheel on a bike that has been set-up for newer, wider rims then the brakes will barely touch the rim, which isn't great if you've picked up a spare from neutral service Shocked
SwimsLikeAWalrus

PostPosted: Tue Aug 01, 2017 9:51 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thank you all.

When I read back someone had said about the Ultegra brake calliper.

FWIW I love the Schwalbes but am unable to get them Sad
kevb

PostPosted: Tue Aug 01, 2017 10:36 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

What size rim bead do you have? On narrow 'standard' rims I run 23's on the more modern wider rims 25's fit and role better. I have concealed brakes on my tt bike and the narrow rims of my older style race wheels are a pain with 25 tyres due to the lightbulb profile they create
Chrace

PostPosted: Tue Aug 01, 2017 12:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've gone back to 23mm due to the clearance on the Argon18 (want to use same wheels on both Propel road and Argon TT) and can feel the difference in comfort from the 25mm.

They are also different in how they roll into corners. I found the 23mm more precise "on rails" but the 25mm more "rolling over" into a corner.

It's subtle differences and I'm not even sure which I liked the better really.
Jorgan

PostPosted: Wed Aug 02, 2017 8:13 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Chrace wrote:
I've gone back to 23mm due to the clearance on the Argon18 (want to use same wheels on both Propel road and Argon TT) and can feel the difference in comfort from the 25mm.

My E-112 will take a 25mm on the back, but I had to buy some longer dropout screws (B&Q) to get clearance from the seat stays.
Chrace

PostPosted: Thu Aug 03, 2017 9:39 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Jorgan wrote:
Chrace wrote:

My E-112 will take a 25mm on the back, but I had to buy some longer dropout screws (B&Q) to get clearance from the seat stays.

Thanks - hadn't thought of that. Or been bothered enough.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    TriTalk.co.uk Forum Index -> Gear All times are GMT
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
Page 2 of 3

Jump to: