Tri Talk HomepageTri Talk EventsTri Talk ForumsBlogsTri Talk TrainingTri TradeTriPlayerWikiTeam Tri Talk
One dream bike or two bikes??
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Duke_76

PostPosted: Sat Aug 29, 2015 10:29 am    Post subject: One dream bike or two bikes?? Reply with quote

Hi all,

It's my 40th soon and I'm treating myself to a new bike. I'm looking at around the 4k mark. I enjoy triathlons and road riding.

My dilemma is should I buy my dream bike, lots of models on the list, or get two bikes.
One tri bike and one road bike at roughly 2K each?. I'd really like to have Di2 as well. If I go for one bike it must be good enough / convertable for Tri races.

If anyone has suggestions of models to look at too I'd be greatly appreciated.
Iain Gillam

PostPosted: Sat Aug 29, 2015 11:52 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

One would get to be rather annoying if you wanted to swap back and forth between road and TT setups often.

If you were strapped for cash, only planned on racing tri's and were only interested in results I'd suggest getting the fastest TT set up adding training wheels and using it all the time.

That is quite far from optimum on the enjoyment stakes however. If you wanted to convert between road and TT setups often having one bike is a right pain. I just swap bars and it's new cables all round and adjust gears and brakes.

Also whilst a TT bike can be made to work in road form and a road bike in TT form it's not a nice in my experience as having a well fitted one of each. Things on a road bike that are quite high priority to me (working brakes) are low on the TT priority list so you end up with one big compromise.

Iain
www.youtube.com/user/IainGillam
www.instagram.com/iaingillam/
mrgreedy

PostPosted: Sat Aug 29, 2015 11:59 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi I too have this fortunate Dilemma. Although I have a TT bike and just want to decide which road frame to get, new canyon looks nice.

If I wanted a bike to do both Id probably look at the newer aero road bikes, but like Ian says one bike to do it all, I like having different setups, relaxed road and aggressive TT bike, maybe spend 3k on decent TT setup and get a cheaper road bike for rolling on.
G4V1N

PostPosted: Sat Aug 29, 2015 3:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Assuming you are going second hand then 2k will get you a top end bike second hand such as a Supersix or Venge if you hunt around or spend a little more. Even go up to 3K if you want to and you can find some great bikes. Pick up a good one with decent deep section wheels and the final 1k will pick you up a TT bike with no or simple wheels which won't matter as you'll have a good set on your road bike.
Duke_76

PostPosted: Sat Aug 29, 2015 6:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I take on board what everyone is advising me. I'm not sure if I could justify having a seperate TT bike - if I'm honest I'd probably only use it 3/4 times a year. It doesn't make sense to me having 2 - 3 grands worth of kit sitting around only to be used a few times.

I think Aero Profile may be the way forward, something along the lines of the S3, Argon 18 Nitrogen or Giant Propel Advance Pro. I'm also keen on getting Di2.
Tin Pot

PostPosted: Sat Aug 29, 2015 6:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

G4V1N wrote:
Assuming you are going second hand then 2k will get you a top end bike second hand such as a Supersix or Venge if you hunt around or spend a little more. Even go up to 3K if you want to and you can find some great bikes. Pick up a good one with decent deep section wheels and the final 1k will pick you up a TT bike with no or simple wheels which won't matter as you'll have a good set on your road bike.

Two grand on a second hand bike? Can't say I have any confidence in the second hand bike market - but then I don't have any experience either.
Sprint '16 1h17, '14 1h40, '13 2h01
Half Mara '16 2h04, '14 2h07
10 Mile TT '16 00:26:30
Trail 10K '16 54:01 '13 54:46
Duke_76

PostPosted: Sat Aug 29, 2015 6:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Not interested in second hand market, too dodgy, no warranty etc.
Tin Pot

PostPosted: Sat Aug 29, 2015 6:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

There's quite a lot of variety in the under 2000 price bracket. I can't see myself adjusting my bike every ride, so I'm still seeing value in a tri bike for solo training sessions which is most of my riding. Just need a relatively flat route to match.

I can't find any recommendations though, seems to be pick what you like so I'm looking at the Bianchi Pico with a few upgrades gets to ~2000

Either that or find a cervelo p2 on sale.
Sprint '16 1h17, '14 1h40, '13 2h01
Half Mara '16 2h04, '14 2h07
10 Mile TT '16 00:26:30
Trail 10K '16 54:01 '13 54:46
fenn123

PostPosted: Sat Aug 29, 2015 7:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I take it you have a bike already? Makes a difference as this could then be training bike or do you need to sell to fund the 4k?
Duke_76

PostPosted: Sat Aug 29, 2015 7:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yeah I have 2 bikes, on for winter one best bike. And yes I will be selling best bike to help finance what ever choice I make.
Andy916

PostPosted: Sat Aug 29, 2015 9:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

My lightly-used 7yr old P2 and Reynolds Strike wheels cost less than 2k and want for nothing, both bought from friends though.

Actually, the brakes aren't great on the early Cervelos; new Magura RT6s are being fitted next week (200 quid).

To race well on the TT bike you need to train on it, did 111 miles on mine today, love it (comfier than both my road bikes for big distance, surprisingly perhaps).
jibberjim

PostPosted: Sat Aug 29, 2015 10:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Multiple bikes, there's nothing to be gained from spending more other than for a specific purpose (e.g. worth spending more to be more aero on your TT bike, or spending more to be sub 5kg on your hill climb bike). As you want a general purpose bike, having multiple bikes will have them better suited for the ride you're doing that day.
G4V1N

PostPosted: Sun Aug 30, 2015 2:24 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Duke_76 wrote:
I'm not sure if I could justify having a seperate TT bike - if I'm honest I'd probably only use it 3/4 times a year. It doesn't make sense to me having 2 - 3 grands worth of kit sitting around only to be used a few times.

But you asked the question whether to have 1 bike or 2. Seems you've made your mind up.
G4V1N

PostPosted: Sun Aug 30, 2015 2:29 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Tin Pot wrote:
G4V1N wrote:

Two grand on a second hand bike? Can't say I have any confidence in the second hand bike market - but then I don't have any experience either.

I've lost count of the number of bikes I've had over the years, some new, some second hand, and a lot of them considered "superbikes" at great expense and never had a warranty issue with any. You'll know if someone has looked after a bike when you go look at it, when I've sold mine I've provided original proof of purchase, spares, etc. It's not really any different to buying a car second hand. You get more than you would from a dealer for the same money, just need to be thorough with your research and test ride. If you're buying a Dogma with full Di2 from a portly chap in Surrey who has a big house, new Q7 on the drive and several other top end bikes then chances are you're genuinely buying a low mile, rarely used bike that's lived inside and never ridden in the rain. Bit of a generalisation but you get the gist
Kitz

PostPosted: Sun Aug 30, 2015 10:59 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

G4V1N wrote:
Duke_76 wrote:
I'm not sure if I could justify having a seperate TT bike - if I'm honest I'd probably only use it 3/4 times a year. It doesn't make sense to me having 2 - 3 grands worth of kit sitting around only to be used a few times.

But you asked the question whether to have 1 bike or 2. Seems you've made your mind up.

If it's only to be used 2/3 times a year then would swapping the position over be that much of a pain? My road bike, Kuota Kryon, can be swapped to a more Tri aero setup within a couple of hours. I don't, as I have a tri bike too, but it could be done and would be minimally annoying if only a few times a year as part of pre race prep. That being said, if you only ride in an aero position for races you won't be comfortable enough in it enough for it to give you any real advantage.
With 4k to spend I think I would have one mutts-nuts road bike with your Di2 setup, and race on it too. maybe some clip on aero bars if you can get comfy on them and are that way inclined! Smile

Races this year:

Staffordshire 70.3
SYTri Shrewsbury Sprint
Weymouth 70.3
Leicester Marathon
Post new topic   Reply to topic    TriTalk.co.uk Forum Index -> Gear All times are GMT
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Page 1 of 4

Jump to: