Tri Talk HomepageTri Talk EventsTri Talk ForumsBlogsTri Talk TrainingTri TradeTriPlayerWikiTeam Tri Talk
One dream bike or two bikes??
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Iain Gillam

PostPosted: Sun Aug 30, 2015 11:27 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Duke_76 wrote:
I take on board what everyone is advising me. I'm not sure if I could justify having a seperate TT bike - if I'm honest I'd probably only use it 3/4 times a year. It doesn't make sense to me having 2 - 3 grands worth of kit sitting around only to be used a few times.

I think Aero Profile may be the way forward, something along the lines of the S3, Argon 18 Nitrogen or Giant Propel Advance Pro. I'm also keen on getting Di2.

If it's 3-4 times a year in 1 block then having something like an S5 with a set of road bars and a set of TT bars with an extra front brake (preferably an aero one) would work well. You could switch over to TT set up before the block of races then back after. But if you'd want to change it from road to TT anymore than once a year I'd still get 2.

You could get a good TT set up for £1000.00 - 1500.00 and if you use it 3-4 times a year it will last a lot of years.

At the minute you could get a PX stealth for <£1000, a road 105 groupset for <£300 a set of Race wheels for <£400.00 disc cover for ~£50.00 leaving you £2250.00 for a road frame, bars, stem and odds and sods.

You could squeeze a Canyon ultimate cf slx frame into that (esp with a BC or BTF license discount.) That combo isn't a bad place to start off, if you are willing to go 2nd hand on a few things then you could get something like a p2/p3 disc wheel and a venge for the road bike!

Iain
www.youtube.com/user/IainGillam
www.instagram.com/iaingillam/
mrgreedy

PostPosted: Sun Aug 30, 2015 11:45 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Even if you do only plan to race on a TT bike 4-5 times a year you will still ride it more than that, I ride my road mostly through the winter and TT on turbo but come spring my longer weekend rides on done on TT setup.

What this about BTF discount on canyons Ian? I'm looking at the cf slx myself.
Iain Gillam

PostPosted: Sun Aug 30, 2015 3:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

mrgreedy wrote:
Even if you do only plan to race on a TT bike 4-5 times a year you will still ride it more than that, I ride my road mostly through the winter and TT on turbo but come spring my longer weekend rides on done on TT setup.

What this about BTF discount on canyons Ian? I'm looking at the cf slx myself.

You get a discount if you have a valid race license https://www.canyon.com/en/service/sponsoring/

Only available on certain models though.

Iain
www.youtube.com/user/IainGillam
www.instagram.com/iaingillam/
Duke_76

PostPosted: Sun Aug 30, 2015 5:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Been looking at Tri bikes, what do people think of the Planet X Stealth? Looks good value for money and would be more justifiable than a 2K bike - I think.
gingeadams

PostPosted: Sun Aug 30, 2015 6:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

For four grand:

New or Second hand TT bike with lesser components (where weight is less of an issue), or a second hand model which is a bit better spec'd for £1200:

New Road bike with Di2 £2000:

A set of race/best wheels either new, or second hand for £800 (you can get some amazing wheelsets for £500 - £800 second hand if you are patient, and can make up a set you will either use all the time, or to your preference for TT/tri racing, and/or can swap between both bikes.

For what it's worth I think the second hand market is great, I've bought everything from frames to wheels and everything in between, and regularly sell my old stuff too. Great if you know what you are looking for, and it makes a lot of people very happy.
Tahr

PostPosted: Sun Aug 30, 2015 7:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I don’t know enough really as to which way to go with ref 1 bike or 2.

But ref second-hand Via New my experience is:- I brought the lightest bike I could afford, a Giant TCR Advance SL with DI2 second hand for £1200 (£4K new) and put clip on aero bars on. This is the 3 second-hand bike I have brought, I sold the other 2 which on both I lost £25 on each, both bikes were around the £600 mark when I brought them, so after 2 years use I couldn’t complain. I did nothing to them as per repairs, although after 4 months use I have replaced the bottom bracket bearings in the TCR for ceramic ones, I was just feeling some roughness when standing up on hills to climb hard, other than that nothing was done to the 3 bikes.

So I wouldn’t discount a careful second-hand purchase.

ATB

Tahr

Fitness forged in the furnace of competition.
Tin Pot

PostPosted: Sun Aug 30, 2015 10:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Duke_76 wrote:
Been looking at Tri bikes, what do people think of the Planet X Stealth? Looks good value for money and would be more justifiable than a 2K bike - I think.

I don't know, but I'm not convinced. I nearly got one as my first road bike two years ago.

Frameset - Planet X.
Wheels - Fulcrums basic model
Group set - SRAM.
Finishing - Planet X mostly

I mean, a Planet X frameset is £299 so it's not really a bargain. It annoys me that bikes are sold with the expectation you upgrade the wheels and stuff.

So I've also considered a basic Ribble frame with a campag group set (Athena) and decent wheels (Scirocco/Zonda) decent seat and that's more like £1500 but at least I wouldn't feel like I had to spend more on it. Thing is, you're obviously getting a cheap frame if you can get components at a good price.

Consumer nightmare! Smile
Sprint '16 1h17, '14 1h40, '13 2h01
Half Mara '16 2h04, '14 2h07
10 Mile TT '16 00:26:30
Trail 10K '16 54:01 '13 54:46
Lanterne_Rouge

PostPosted: Mon Aug 31, 2015 10:58 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Tin Pot wrote:
Duke_76 wrote:

I don't know, but I'm not convinced. I nearly got one as my first road bike two years ago.

Frameset - Planet X.
Wheels - Fulcrums basic model
Group set - SRAM.
Finishing - Planet X mostly

I mean, a Planet X frameset is £299 so it's not really a bargain. It annoys me that bikes are sold with the expectation you upgrade the wheels and stuff.

So I've also considered a basic Ribble frame with a campag group set (Athena) and decent wheels (Scirocco/Zonda) decent seat and that's more like £1500 but at least I wouldn't feel like I had to spend more on it. Thing is, you're obviously getting a cheap frame if you can get components at a good price.

Consumer nightmare! Smile

My road bike is a PX with SRAM force and nothing but love for it tbh. Owned bikes two and three times the price from Cervelo and Felt and the PX is a comparable ride and spec to them. I guess you have to own one to get it. PX hit the 999 price point on a number of bikes to assist people making the cycle to work scheme threshold. The finish kits ain't the dogs nuts but for 999 what Carbon bike does for that price?
BikeRide

PostPosted: Tue Sep 01, 2015 7:10 am    Post subject: Re: One dream bike or two bikes?? Reply with quote

Duke_76 wrote:
Hi all,

It's my 40th soon and I'm treating myself to a new bike. I'm looking at around the 4k mark. I enjoy triathlons and road riding.

My dilemma is should I buy my dream bike, lots of models on the list, or get two bikes.
One tri bike and one road bike at roughly 2K each?. I'd really like to have Di2 as well. If I go for one bike it must be good enough / convertable for Tri races.

If anyone has suggestions of models to look at too I'd be greatly appreciated.

I would definitely go for 2 bikes - a tri and a road. The crossover is always to much compromise. Not sure I'm entirely convinced of the Di2 requirement.
PCP

PostPosted: Tue Sep 01, 2015 9:13 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have a TT bike for all races, all my turbos and my good/half decent weather rides. I also have a cheap road bike for winter and if I ever go out with friends.
I wish I had a decent road bike too but only really for vanity, in reality it's great having an entry level winter bike because I feel like I'm flying when I get the TT bike out in spring.

2nd hand Felt DA4 with dura ace - £1700
Race wheels - £900
Power meter - £450

Winter bike - £425 brand new (wiggle sale)
Duke_76

PostPosted: Tue Sep 01, 2015 10:56 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

To keep you all updated, as I know deep down your intrigued to what I do. I ran the two bike scenario past her in charge.

On the look alone I knew that it was not going to sit well, I made my plea. I felt it was well balanced in favour for two bikes - can you guess??? i'm going for one....got to keep them happy also.

Choices are:
Argon 18 Nitrogen 2016
Cervelo S3 and
Giant Propel Advanced Pro 0 2016.

All with Di2, all in the price range. Leader at the moment is the Giant - Its £500 quid cheaper and has a decent set of wheels. Both the Argon 18 and Cervelo would need a set of race wheels at some point.

Anyone any thoughts on the above bikes..
mrgreedy

PostPosted: Tue Sep 01, 2015 11:43 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have an argon TT bike and love it, not tried the others but you see enough of them about.
I thought you can get the argon nitrogen from primera sports with race wheels for £3600?
Duke_76

PostPosted: Tue Sep 01, 2015 1:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

mrgreedy wrote:
I have an argon TT bike and love it, not tried the others but you see enough of them about.
I thought you can get the argon nitrogen from primera sports with race wheels for £3600?

I've spoke with them regarding this. I bought my last biek from them and really like them as shop. Friendly informative staff. Was told that they are hard to get due a supply and demand issue. The £3600 Nitrogen, I assume its last years model?
mrgreedy

PostPosted: Tue Sep 01, 2015 4:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

No this years model £3500 Ultegra or di2 £4000

http://www.primera-sports.com/brands/argon-18/road-bikes/nitrogen.html
fenix

PostPosted: Wed Sep 02, 2015 1:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Go for normal gears and then you'll never have to worry about a flat battery.
And save yourself some cash.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    TriTalk.co.uk Forum Index -> Gear All times are GMT
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Page 2 of 4

Jump to: