Tri Talk HomepageTri Talk EventsTri Talk ForumsBlogsTri Talk TrainingTri TradeTriPlayerWikiTeam Tri Talk
Monster Mojo
Goto page 1, 2  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
BigFoz

PostPosted: Thu Oct 15, 2015 6:19 pm    Post subject: Monster Mojo Reply with quote

Anyone done this can impart wisdom. Very close to the In-Laws, so a definite possibility for 2016.
Paolo

PostPosted: Fri Oct 16, 2015 11:02 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Not done the actual event BigFoz, am sure someone can update you on that...but completed a few of the Monster events over the years, always well organised, good atmosphere - never encountered any issues etc.
Stedic

PostPosted: Fri Oct 16, 2015 5:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've not done these either but the in laws live near by so I quite fancy the Oly.
hopper-tri

PostPosted: Sat Oct 17, 2015 7:12 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've only done the Monster.
But, going by that, and the comments from club mates that have done the Mojo and other Monster events, I don't think you'll be disappointed.

Team VeloVelocity

Broadland Half Marathon - 1:33:33
Manchester Marathon - 3:25:12
East Coast Tri - 50:54 (PB 3:39)
Grafman Middle - 5:43:33
Beccles Tri
Fritton Standard (EC)
Gosfield Sprint (EC)
The Outlaw
Monster Middle (EC)
IM Wales
Ade

PostPosted: Sat Oct 17, 2015 5:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've done this. Hooray I can add something useful to a thread Smile

Swim single lap of a rowing lake. Shallow so ok even this early in the year. Was announced as 15 degrees last year. Didn't feel too cold to me, although definitely a double hatter. Orange non-functioning hands in transition though. And cold enough for me to want a jacket, or at least arm-warmers. Good swim, big bouys to aim at. Low sun to spot through, but you can swim parallel to the sides.

Transition on grass right next to the swim exit.

Signage was not clear on first roundabout immediately on bike course, so make sure you have a look at where you are riding as you drive in in the morning. Also on the way back there is a right turn T junction immediately before this roundabout to be aware of. I nearly got clobbered by a bus turning in and cutting the corner.

A bit of riding through residential areas before the bike lap begins. Course itself is quite technical, not too technical for a TT bike, but there are some tight turns, short sharp climbs, narrow and single track back roads, loose gravel and shocking surfaces. 3 laps of getting beaten up by a road surface that is best described in polite company as "rural", but everywhere else as #@?#. Weather was good last year, but the route would be very challenging in the wet. Remember there may be (was some) traffic coming towards you on the singletrack blind bends.

Run is quite nice, a lot is on stony tracks around the park and along by the river and is flat. It's under trees so shady. But hay-fever horrific if you suffer. Good support generally, although the path is quite narrow in places and is open to the public. There is a footbridge that is one person wide, and you might have a short wait if someone is on it when you get there.

A friendly little event, well organised with friendly and enthusiastic volunteers. Ride it with caution though. There are places where I thought the course was definitely too hazardous for 'race' speed. Remember the run course is all public space (think park run).

Hope that helps.
Ade
Tri'ing Swimmer

PostPosted: Wed May 10, 2017 9:35 am    Post subject: 2017? Reply with quote

Anyone other than me and PCP in for the Monster Mojo this weekend? Or Mojito. First time but found lots of good feedback about them.
PCP

PostPosted: Wed May 10, 2017 11:42 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Was just coming on to ask about the bike course. Looks pretty flat to me, how long are these short, sharp rises? Power over or settle in?

I've had the lurgy this week after poor recovery from my weekend efforts but should be fighting fit for Sunday. Travelling down on Sat afternoon and staying over.
Ade

PostPosted: Thu May 11, 2017 6:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm in for this, been cold showering this week. I did it a couple of years ago. (see my comments on this thread)

Langley Bush Road, before Upton, is longer and less steep. Settle in.
Love's hill (just after Ailsworth) is shorter and steeper, but the tarmac there was good. I drop gears and spin, it's what I prefer, but others stood and powered. About the same either way.
funkster

PostPosted: Fri May 12, 2017 8:49 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm coming up.

Am spending Saturday at the Yaxley festival looking after 15 Stormtroopers and Warwick Davies

Probably going to go HIM pace for the swim and bike, then target IM pace for the run
PCP

PostPosted: Fri May 12, 2017 9:27 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm currently sat at my desk with the shakes after sleeping for 30 minutes last night! Grrrreeeeaaat. Gonna go home and try to get some kip soon.

Feeling good after a 2.1km swim last night in 15deg water (pretty watrm actually, no headcold or freezing hands). Managed 36:11 swimming on my own. Hopefully will be able to clock around 32 minutes on Sunday if I can stay awake Laughing
Tri'ing Swimmer

PostPosted: Fri May 12, 2017 12:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ade wrote:
I'm in for this, been cold showering this week. I did it a couple of years ago. (see my comments on this thread)

Might be kidding myself, but I'm not expecting the lake to be too bad after recent warm spell. It's the bike I'm more concerned about being cold on, although weather forecast has improved since few days ago.
Tri'ing Swimmer

PostPosted: Fri May 12, 2017 12:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

PCP wrote:
I'm currently sat at my desk with the shakes after sleeping for 30 minutes last night! Grrrreeeeaaat. Gonna go home and try to get some kip soon.

Feeling good after a 2.1km swim last night in 15deg water (pretty watrm actually, no headcold or freezing hands). Managed 36:11 swimming on my own. Hopefully will be able to clock around 32 minutes on Sunday if I can stay awake Laughing

Nasty, hope you start feeling better, and keep bigger picture in mind. Ive been off the bike for 10 days now as couldnt even sit on saddle after trying to ride through my first saddle sore so decided rest was best. Still a bit of an ulcer there so hoping this weekend doesn't hurt the healing too much.
funkster

PostPosted: Sat May 13, 2017 7:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Just about to get down to sleep in the car park.

Nice forecast of rain for 4:00-8:00 tomorrow Sad
PCP

PostPosted: Sun May 14, 2017 4:18 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Just arrived. Number 82.
Good luck all.
TriSam

PostPosted: Sun May 14, 2017 2:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Spill the beans! How did everyone get on?
Post new topic   Reply to topic    TriTalk.co.uk Forum Index -> Events All times are GMT
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: