Tri Talk HomepageTri Talk EventsTri Talk ForumsBlogsTri Talk TrainingTri TradeTriPlayerWikiTeam Tri Talk
New BTF Rulebook for 2016 - read and adapt!
Goto page 1, 2, 3 ... 19, 20, 21  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
fat buddha

PostPosted: Tue Jan 12, 2016 9:56 am    Post subject: New BTF Rulebook for 2016 - read and adapt! Reply with quote

The BTF have updated the 2016 rulebook to introduce a new layout (it now follows the ITU rulebook) and to introduce a range of new and amended rules that are now in force for all multisports events that come under BTF jurisdiction. The BTF haven't adopted the ITU rulebook completely and have adapted some rule variations for the UK. Also note that these rules only apply to events run under a home nation permit (Tri England, Scotland, Wales) although non permitted events (Ironman, Castle series etc) can apply the same rulebook if needed - but check with that event organiser first.

So, get yourself a copy and read it so us officials don't have to penalise you! Here are some links to follow

http://www.britishtriathlon.org/britain/documents/rule_book/2016_competition_rules_all_update.pdf - outlines the key changes that are now in force. There are some interesting ones in there - e.g. if anyone uses a plastic box for transition, dump it and get a soft bag as boxes are now banned! And dump all the excess stuff you bring into T - you are only allowed stuff you will use to race with so keep it simple and ditch the crap you carry around "just in case". There are also changes to drafting, swimming and penalties that need noting.

and here's the link to the Rulebook download for the whole shebang - http://www.britishtriathlon.org/britain/documents/about/competition_rules.pdf - it's 38 pages. You may want to print it for future referral.

there are a few Race Officials (aka refs) around these parts so no doubt we can try to answer any questions.
Jorgan

PostPosted: Tue Jan 12, 2016 10:38 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I thnk you just sounded the death knell of the Triathlon Box; genuinely hope the guy behind it can find a new more useful product to market though Smile
fat buddha

PostPosted: Tue Jan 12, 2016 10:52 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Jorgan wrote:
I thnk you just sounded the death knell of the Triathlon Box; genuinely hope the guy behind it can find a new more useful product to market though Smile

it's not as if he wasn't given enough notice about the upcoming change of rules by quite a few people (not just on here). Very Happy
Jan

PostPosted: Tue Jan 12, 2016 11:13 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Very Happy
Great! As a referee and a competitor this is great news. I have been asking for this for years. How many people actually read the rules though? I think event organisers will have to point this out in their event information along with other key rules like headphones etc.
Whisk

PostPosted: Tue Jan 12, 2016 11:15 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

There might be a few people having to take off their GoPros when they check their bikes in too Wink
Jan

PostPosted: Tue Jan 12, 2016 11:24 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Barefoot running? Backstroke in open water? What's all that about?
How will I coach sighting for back-strokers in the lake? Not a problem in a pool as they can have a separate lane & use the flags.
Surely neither of these new rules make for a safer or better experience for the majority? Confused
Jorgan

PostPosted: Tue Jan 12, 2016 11:48 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The draft zone for longer events is now actually bigger than for Ironman iirc.... 12m vs 10m for IM.
fat buddha

PostPosted: Tue Jan 12, 2016 12:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
Barefoot running? Backstroke in open water? What's all that about?

it's about making triathlon more accessible for those who prefer to run barefoot or swim backstroke - as simple as that. however, I suspect we won't see many taking up either option - I have yet to see someone swim 'fly yet that has never been outlawed! and barefoot runners need to declare their wish to the event director and/or chief official who will make a decision based on course appropriateness - I guess a smooth tarmac promenade run would be fine (bar the dog sh1t!) but any flinty/rocky off-road section wouldn't. again I suspect we won't see many takers but the option is now there if they want.
fat buddha

PostPosted: Tue Jan 12, 2016 12:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

and yes - event organisers need to understand the new rules and how it impacts on their race set ups (baggage areas for all those boxes - but best put back in vehicles), new rules re. drafting, swimming and running, instructing marshals and pre-race info outlining the key changes. same goes for coaches I guess.
alexe

PostPosted: Tue Jan 12, 2016 1:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

FB with regards to tri suits and tops if I understand correctly the new rules permit suits and tops with a front zip though must be done up. Is that correct?
Chrace

PostPosted: Tue Jan 12, 2016 2:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

alexe wrote:
FB with regards to tri suits and tops if I understand correctly the new rules permit suits and tops with a front zip though must be done up. Is that correct?

Looks like it.

Quote:
2.8.c
(v) Where a two-piece uniform is used, the space between the top and the bottom may be not visible, so the two
pieces overlap. The competitor must cover their torso during the entire race with the exception of the swim
section; this includes front zips being completely fastened during the cycle and run segments.
(vi) If the suit has a zipper it will be located at the back (except for middle and long distance events) and will not
be longer than 40cm. Competitors wearing a front zip suit must ensure it remains fully done up for the
duration of competition.

Bit late on this since I haven't done standard distance in a while, but since I'm in for Leeds in June I better get this right:
In 4.9.b.iv, that means my short sleeved trisuit is allowed then (as long as we hazard the guess that it's a wetsuit swim)?
jibberjim

PostPosted: Tue Jan 12, 2016 2:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Jorgan wrote:
I thnk you just sounded the death knell of the Triathlon Box;

This is a rule too far for me, I'm never going to do a triathlon again.
Jorgan

PostPosted: Tue Jan 12, 2016 3:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

jibberjim wrote:
Jorgan wrote:

I would say you'll be missed...but you've done one in you whole life right? Very Happy
jibberjim

PostPosted: Tue Jan 12, 2016 3:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Jorgan wrote:
jibberjim wrote:
Jorgan wrote:

I would say you'll be missed...but you've done one in you whole life right? Very Happy

Roughly that number that yes... but the Triathlon Box nearly was the thing that would've triggered a second.
Whisk

PostPosted: Tue Jan 12, 2016 4:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

jibberjim wrote:
Jorgan wrote:
jibberjim wrote:
Jorgan wrote:

Roughly that number that yes... but the Triathlon Box nearly was the thing that would've triggered a second.

You could use your Triathlon Box to store your newly-acquired Triathlon Bag between races Wink
Post new topic   Reply to topic    TriTalk.co.uk Forum Index -> General All times are GMT
Goto page 1, 2, 3 ... 19, 20, 21  Next
Page 1 of 21

Jump to: