Tri Talk HomepageTri Talk EventsTri Talk ForumsBlogsTri Talk TrainingTri TradeTriPlayerWikiTeam Tri Talk
New BTF Rulebook for 2016 - read and adapt!
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 19, 20, 21

View previous topic :: View next topic  
hammerer

PostPosted: Mon Feb 20, 2017 12:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

awildt wrote:
Jorgan wrote:
fat buddha wrote:
hammerer wrote:
It appears that for 2017 sleeved Trisuits are allowed in non wetsuit swims but in true btf style it's confused! :-

) Trisuits:
(i) Competitors are required to wear a trisuit or costume during the swim segment;
(ii) Trisuits will not have any neoprene sections;
(iii) Suits may contain either a front or back zipper, but these must be fully zipped at all times;
(iv) Where the use of wetsuits is forbidden, clothing covering any part of the arms below the elbows and clothing
covering any part of the legs below the knees is also forbidden during the swim segment. An exception may be made for competitors taking part in middle and long distance events, and are allowed to wear clothing with sleeves extending from the shoulder to the elbow.

the wording could be a bit better tbh, but it really shouldn't cause any confusion - standard and below, no sleeves; middle and longer - sleeves allowed

Still incoherent/contradictory. I've heard some people say that they are now to wear LD suits in pool events, which based on the quote above does seem logical, as it refers to 'clothing that extends below the elbows'. But then it goes on to make reference to clothing extending from shoulder to elbow, for MD/LD.

Officials writing these rules still seem to struggle with their written articulation.

Quite right. The first reference to "elbow" should be shoulders by fb's response.

They're getting their shoulders and elbows confused. Don't they know the song???

Even the ref doesnt know Wink

Last year it clearly said below the shoulders and its been changed in the 2017 rules to below the elbows. I will certainly be wearing my short sleeves in the only pool swim I'm doing this year as i wont be buying a trisuit for 1 race but it seems I'm now allowed anyway. Such a shame the lack of professionalism at the BTF. surely these rule changes are proof read and voted in by a number of people and not one picked up this inconsistency.
fat buddha

PostPosted: Mon Feb 20, 2017 1:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

hammerer wrote:
awildt wrote:
Jorgan wrote:
fat buddha wrote:
hammerer wrote:
It appears that for 2017 sleeved Trisuits are allowed in non wetsuit swims but in true btf style it's confused! :-

) Trisuits:
(i) Competitors are required to wear a trisuit or costume during the swim segment;
(iii) Suits may contain either a front or back zipper, but these must be fully zipped at all times;
(iv) Where the use of wetsuits is forbidden, clothing covering any part of the arms below the elbows and clothing
covering any part of the legs below the knees is also forbidden during the swim segment. An exception may be made for competitors taking part in middle and long distance events, and are allowed to wear clothing with sleeves extending from the shoulder to the elbow.

the wording could be a bit better tbh, but it really shouldn't cause any confusion - standard and below, no sleeves; middle and longer - sleeves allowed

Still incoherent/contradictory. I've heard some people say that they are now to wear LD suits in pool events, which based on the quote above does seem logical, as it refers to 'clothing that extends below the elbows'. But then it goes on to make reference to clothing extending from shoulder to elbow, for MD/LD.

Officials writing these rules still seem to struggle with their written articulation.

Quite right. The first reference to "elbow" should be shoulders by fb's response.

They're getting their shoulders and elbows confused. Don't they know the song???

Last year it clearly said below the shoulders and its been changed in the 2017 rules to below the elbows. I will certainly be wearing my short sleeves in the only pool swim I'm doing this year as i wont be buying a trisuit for 1 race but it seems I'm now allowed anyway. Such a shame the lack of professionalism at the BTF. surely these rule changes are proof read and voted in by a number of people and not one picked up this inconsistency.

Right - I'll be the first to stick my hand up and say I made a mistake! The rule as highlighted is correct - sleeves down to elbows are now allowed in any non-wetsuit event. I should really read the notes that came out with the new rule book... Embarassed The section mentioning middle and long is no longer applicable. My error - apologies. Clearly getting my arse and elbows in a twist.... Rolling Eyes

The rule as written in the 2017 rulebook is

b.) Trisuits:
(iv) Where the use of wetsuits is forbidden, clothing covering any part of the arms below the elbows and clothing covering any part of the legs below the knees is also forbidden during the swim segment. An exception may be made for competitors taking part in middle and long distance events, and are allowed to wear clothing with sleeves extending from the shoulder to the elbow.

Comments in green have been added for 2017; those in red have been deleted from the 2016 rules for 2017

So in reality, the rule should read:

b.) Trisuits:
(iii) Where the use of wetsuits is forbidden, clothing covering any part of the arms below the elbows and clothing covering any part of the legs below the knees is also forbidden during the swim segment.

The section in the old rulebook regarding zips is now covered by 2.8.c.vi
hammerer

PostPosted: Mon Feb 20, 2017 2:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

fat buddha wrote:
hammerer wrote:
awildt wrote:
Jorgan wrote:
fat buddha wrote:
hammerer wrote:

) Trisuits:

Right - I'll be the first to stick my hand up and say I made a mistake! The rule as highlighted is correct - sleeves down to elbows are now allowed in any non-wetsuit event. I should really read the notes that came out with the new rule book... Embarassed The section mentioning middle and long is no longer applicable. My error - apologies. Clearly getting my arse and elbows in a twist.... Rolling Eyes

The rule as written in the 2017 rulebook is

b.) Trisuits:
(iv) Where the use of wetsuits is forbidden, clothing covering any part of the arms below the elbows and clothing covering any part of the legs below the knees is also forbidden during the swim segment. An exception may be made for competitors taking part in middle and long distance events, and are allowed to wear clothing with sleeves extending from the shoulder to the elbow.

Comments in green have been added for 2017; those in red have been deleted from the 2016 rules for 2017

So in reality, the rule should read:

b.) Trisuits:
(iii) Where the use of wetsuits is forbidden, clothing covering any part of the arms below the elbows and clothing covering any part of the legs below the knees is also forbidden during the swim segment.

The section in the old rulebook regarding zips is now covered by 2.8.c.vi

thanks FB. Seems they've cleared up some of the inconsistencies but just forgotten to take out that one sentence. I'll retract my groan as they've nearly sorted out the issues Wink
Jorgan

PostPosted: Mon Feb 20, 2017 3:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'll just keep wearing my swimskin for the odd pool Sprint that I do, with tri shorts underneath. It does tend to rub under the arms on the run though. I'm pretty sure my Castelli Sanremo suit would cost me a second a length; and I of all people, know that every second counts!
Post new topic   Reply to topic    TriTalk.co.uk Forum Index -> General All times are GMT
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 19, 20, 21
Page 21 of 21

Jump to: