Tri Talk HomepageTri Talk EventsTri Talk ForumsBlogsTri Talk TrainingTri TradeTriPlayerWikiTeam Tri Talk
Stryd - any early adopters out there?
Goto page Previous  1, 2

View previous topic :: View next topic  
jibberjim

PostPosted: Mon Jan 18, 2016 11:57 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Stryd doesn't have any direct measure of speed though, so speed is not an input, so I'm confused why it's so adamant that it doesn't account for wind - a head/tailwind will impact how you run, but it impacts it in ways that an accelerometer should be able to tell - ie you'll probably shorten your stride in the headwind and lengthen it in the tail.

If it cannot tell the power differences of this - due to it not knowing if the higher "glide" time while you're in the air is due to pushing off harder, or from the tailwind, then it would also not be able to tell the difference between surfaces, sand, mud, concrete, running track.

So it's odd for them to claim one thing works, and the other doesn't, I would suspect simply neither work, however the approximation may well be useful for many purposes.
The Man With No Nickname

PostPosted: Mon Jan 18, 2016 1:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Rooster has been using this. He's mentioned it a few times on Cup of Tri. Not sure the benefits over a HRM have been clearly identified/evaluated.

Whilst we're on the subject. I have thought that a swimming power meter would be quite easy to design/manufacture. If you put the sensors between a thin sandwich of hand paddles, it could measure the force and the length of the pull. Does such a beastie exist?
KingstonGraham

PostPosted: Mon Jan 18, 2016 3:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The Man With No Nickname wrote:
Rooster has been using this. He's mentioned it a few times on Cup of Tri. Not sure the benefits over a HRM have been clearly identified/evaluated.

Lag time for HR to respond.
stenard

PostPosted: Tue Jun 28, 2016 9:57 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Interesting to see this on Sport Pursuit already. A third off GBP RRP, and even significantly cheaper than the USD price before any taxes/duties etc.

It would seem to imply to me that the uptake of the device has been lower than expected?
hillwall

PostPosted: Tue Jun 28, 2016 12:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think for a variety of reasons, people haven't started on these yet. I have one although only for the last month and have yet to really use it properly (I've worn it in a couple of ultras but not in proper training).

Whilst the tech doesn't work completely (it couldn't work out me running on sand or shingle beach) I do think that there is some useful information there which will help me pace myself better/train better. And I like messing with this sort of thing which is the main reason for it.

I suspect this is still very early days but eventually these will get used a lot more. The software can I'm sure be improved over time as well and some integration with Garmin would be nice - rather than recording all my runs as rides.
stenard

PostPosted: Tue Jun 28, 2016 1:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

hillwall wrote:
I think for a variety of reasons, people haven't started on these yet. I have one although only for the last month and have yet to really use it properly (I've worn it in a couple of ultras but not in proper training).

Whilst the tech doesn't work completely (it couldn't work out me running on sand or shingle beach) I do think that there is some useful information there which will help me pace myself better/train better. And I like messing with this sort of thing which is the main reason for it.

I suspect this is still very early days but eventually these will get used a lot more. The software can I'm sure be improved over time as well and some integration with Garmin would be nice - rather than recording all my runs as rides.

Yeah, I think the last point is fairly key. It is such an easy fix for Garmin to open up the power feature on runs, so that you still get everything else, and yet they just wont do it. As a 910 user (I know they wouldnt release a running power update for this now), I'd have to sacrifice my footpod to get the data, or record as a ride as you suggest and then be stuck with speed rather than pace. It's just not seamless enough for me at the moment, even if I upgraded to one of the latest watches.
Greg66

PostPosted: Wed Jun 29, 2016 9:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

stenard wrote:
Interesting to see this on Sport Pursuit already. A third off GBP RRP, and even significantly cheaper than the USD price before any taxes/duties etc.

It would seem to imply to me that the uptake of the device has been lower than expected?

Saw that too. Being a sucker for toys I snapped one up. Then found out it would take a month to arrive so cancelled it and found one on eBay for a tenner more.

Once I've used it a bit I'll report back.
stenard

PostPosted: Thu Feb 09, 2017 4:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Not sure why, but I've started thinking about these again. Anyone evolved onto the footpod version? This appeals to me a lot more than the integrated HR gen1 approach.
hopper-tri

PostPosted: Sun Feb 12, 2017 10:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm using a foot pod version.
I keep meaning to go through my data, now that there's over a months worth, to see if I can learn anything by it, or justify the purchase...

Team VeloVelocity

Broadland Half Marathon - 1:33:33
Manchester Marathon - 3:25:12
East Coast Tri - 50:54 (PB 3:39)
Grafman Middle - 5:43:33
Beccles Tri
Fritton Standard (EC)
Gosfield Sprint (EC)
The Outlaw
Monster Middle (EC)
IM Wales
Post new topic   Reply to topic    TriTalk.co.uk Forum Index -> Gear All times are GMT
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2

Jump to: