Tri Talk HomepageTri Talk EventsTri Talk ForumsBlogsTri Talk TrainingTri TradeTriPlayerWikiTeam Tri Talk
Wiggle take over CRC?
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
redbiker

PostPosted: Sat Feb 20, 2016 2:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Whisk wrote:
Jorgan wrote:
Whisk wrote:
all Wiggle seems to be getting from the deal is that they are eliminating one of their biggest competitors Rolling Eyes

...and there you have it.

I don't know how much they are paying, but it seems like an expensive way of doing it Rolling Eyes

Did CRC really only make 4m profit on 153m of sales Shocked

Their margins are incredibly low, they just depend on shifting a lot of stock. Wiggle/CRC are consistently selling stuff lower than trade price through most distributors (i.e. the price your LBS can get product for).
www.bike-science.com
explorerJC

PostPosted: Sun Feb 21, 2016 5:24 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

redbiker wrote:
Whisk wrote:
Jorgan wrote:
Whisk wrote:
all Wiggle seems to be getting from the deal is that they are eliminating one of their biggest competitors Rolling Eyes

...and there you have it.

I don't know how much they are paying, but it seems like an expensive way of doing it Rolling Eyes

Did CRC really only make 4m profit on 153m of sales Shocked

Their margins are incredibly low, they just depend on shifting a lot of stock. Wiggle/CRC are consistently selling stuff lower than trade price through most distributors (i.e. the price your LBS can get product for).

they were also the first to break the bike industry's little cartels by buying in grey imports...good on them...

www.naturalrunningform.co.uk Natural Running Form Coach

2018 Training Camps http://www.appliedtri.co.uk/training-camps/
Jorgan

PostPosted: Mon Feb 22, 2016 8:52 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

explorerJC wrote:
by buying in grey imports...good on them...

There's a term I haven't heard for ages; normally associated with Japanese motorbikes & cars.
explorerJC

PostPosted: Mon Feb 22, 2016 9:49 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Jorgan wrote:
explorerJC wrote:
by buying in grey imports...good on them...

There's a term I haven't heard for ages; normally associated with Japanese motorbikes & cars.

It was a big(ish) problem for a while

Doonhamer

PostPosted: Sat Sep 29, 2018 6:13 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Looks like Halfrauds have jumped in to snaffle up Evans.

https://news.sky.com/story/halfords-rides-to-rescue-of-struggling-rival-evans-cycles-11509519
FatPom

PostPosted: Sat Sep 29, 2018 11:55 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Doonhamer wrote:
Looks like Halfrauds have jumped in to snaffle up Evans.

https://news.sky.com/story/halfords-rides-to-rescue-of-struggling-rival-evans-cycles-11509519

Swapped chimps for baboons.
mattsurf

PostPosted: Mon Oct 01, 2018 6:50 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have been pretty impressed with how much Halfords has improved over the past few years

Also recently I have been using Evans as much as CRC and Wiggle - often they have a better selection and better prices

Delivery to Switzerland is free with Evans, Wiggle and CRC

Evans is the fastest, CRC is also pretty good and Wiggle takes the longest by a couple of days

With regards to the long term future of Evans and CRC/Wiggle, Brexit must be a concern, currently they do a load of business with customers in Europe, what will happen to their purchase prices if they have to pay higher import duties, what will happen to their sales when they people have to duty to import the products to Europe
explorerJC

PostPosted: Mon Oct 01, 2018 7:58 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

They will probably go back to grey imports

jibberjim

PostPosted: Mon Oct 01, 2018 8:02 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

explorerJC wrote:
They will probably go back to grey imports

Don't worry about that, Brexit will make grey imports much less economic.
Jorgan

PostPosted: Mon Oct 01, 2018 8:07 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

mattsurf wrote:
Brexit must be a concern, currently they do a load of business with customers in Europe, what will happen to their purchase prices if they have to pay higher import duties, what will happen to their sales when they people have to duty to import the products to Europe

I'm sure Liam, Boris & Jacob have a plan for this type of thing; hence their confidence. Right.
GrahamO

PostPosted: Mon Oct 01, 2018 8:18 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

mattsurf wrote:
Brexit must be a concern, currently they do a load of business with customers in Europe, what will happen to their purchase prices if they have to pay higher import duties, what will happen to their sales when they people have to duty to import the products to Europe

Do you think all these items are only manufactured in the UK then ?

Think bigger - they will do an Amazon and set up a warehouse in Europe somewhere to receive the goods from the Us and Asia and ship to European customers that way, only paying EU duties. Its not difficult.
jayski

PostPosted: Mon Oct 01, 2018 8:35 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

EVERYONE is setting up warehousing in Europe. Goods will never touch these shores and scores of jobs and businesses are relocating to Ireland, Benelux etc etc - hey, its what people voted for.
GrahamO

PostPosted: Mon Oct 01, 2018 9:23 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

jayski wrote:
EVERYONE is setting up warehousing in Europe. Goods will never touch these shores and scores of jobs and businesses are relocating to Ireland, Benelux etc etc - hey, its what people voted for.

Yes, all those people complaining about jobs in an Amazon warehouse will get what they wanted - an end to the conditions. Eu decides to tax the Uk by 5% under WTP rules, Uk drops Corporation Tax by the same amount and the importers are all square but without the EU bureaucracy.

Just what the EU feared - a low tax environment offshore over which they have very little control and who can easily import into the EU under WTO rules.

As to 'scores of businesses' I think you've been reading the Independent too much.
stenard

PostPosted: Mon Oct 01, 2018 9:55 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

GrahamO wrote:
jayski wrote:

Yes, all those people complaining about jobs in an Amazon warehouse will get what they wanted - an end to the conditions. Eu decides to tax the Uk by 5% under WTP rules, Uk drops Corporation Tax by the same amount and the importers are all square but without the EU bureaucracy.

Just what the EU feared - a low tax environment offshore over which they have very little control and who can easily import into the EU under WTO rules.

As to 'scores of businesses' I think you've been reading the Independent too much.

But wouldn't that 5% tariff be on the gross value of the goods imported? In which case, for most businesses, even dropping CT to 0% wouldn't offset the tariff cost?!

Tariffs are far from my area of expertise however, so if they do somehow apply an import tariff based on a profit number, rather than on a value of goods/revenue basis, then fair enough. But I struggle to see how that would be the case.

Last edited by stenard on Mon Oct 01, 2018 1:07 pm; edited 1 time in total
mattsurf

PostPosted: Mon Oct 01, 2018 12:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

GrahamO wrote:
mattsurf wrote:

Do you think all these items are only manufactured in the UK then ?

Think bigger - they will do an Amazon and set up a warehouse in Europe somewhere to receive the goods from the Us and Asia and ship to European customers that way, only paying EU duties. Its not difficult.

No these goods are not manufactured in the UK, however, for example the EU has a trade agreement with Japan, so Shimano components, made in Japan, would attract an import duty shipping to the UK, but not into EU. Then when a European customer wants to by from the UK, import duty would then be charged when item was shipped from UK to EU

Of course Evans, CRC/Wiggle etc could setup an operation in the EU, however, this would be extremely costly to do

CT is payable against profit not Turnover, so a reduction in CT doesn't help.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    TriTalk.co.uk Forum Index -> General All times are GMT
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
Page 2 of 3

Jump to: