Tri Talk HomepageTri Talk EventsTri Talk ForumsBlogsTri Talk TrainingTri TradeTriPlayerWikiTeam Tri Talk
Garden log cabin for training - experiences?
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Chrace

PostPosted: Wed May 04, 2016 8:29 am    Post subject: Garden log cabin for training - experiences? Reply with quote

Got a new house with a large garden and my exceptional wife suggested that instead of rebuilding the garage I should get a man cave at the back. Idea is a log cabin, about 3x4m or thereabouts. Anyone got experience with using this for training?

I'm thinking a static turbo bike and a treadmill, along with an armchair and a shelf with "it's bad weather but we want to be outside" toys. And of course later on a dart board and a beer fridge. Smile

Do I need insulation, and/or the thicker wood options? Do they boil in the summer or can they ventilate ok? Things that you have found out now that you didn't think of when you got it? Any experiences welcome!

(I prefer training outside but the baby monitor only reaches so far)
Foggy
Site Admin

PostPosted: Wed May 04, 2016 9:52 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have one as my office that I also train in. It gets really REALLY hot in the summer as it sits and bakes in the sunshine all day. May be worth looking at getting air con installed - it's something I keep saying I am going to do every year.
hillwall

PostPosted: Wed May 04, 2016 11:11 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm just about to build a log cabin in the garden with the same thoughts in mind. Probably be using it as an office and for training so any thoughts on what else I need to consider.

I too need to build it close enough for the baby monitor to work.

I hadn't really considered the heat and can always work in the house if I need to so not too concerned about this but would like it to be usable all year round.
fat buddha

PostPosted: Wed May 04, 2016 5:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

we have a 7m x 4m summerhouse in our garden which acts as a gym, bike (and bike kit) store plus it has a toilet and laundry area with washing machine and dryer (keeps them out of the house at least!). it easily takes a 2 turbo setup plus a Concept 2 rower and a workout bench.

the previous owners who built it only put a small electric panel radiator in and quarry tiled the floor so it's bloody freezing in winter!! I have since added extra heating for winter use. in summer it can be baking - it was 25C inside today with no extra heating. it has double glazed windows on 2 sides but at least they all open if needed.

I plan to replace the quarry tiles in due course with something warmer - probably laminate boarding - but I have more pressing projects to finish first.

if you have the space, go for it - it will get used
fruit thief

PostPosted: Wed May 04, 2016 6:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have form!

We chose a scrubby bit of garden

and levelled it out

filled a frame with 4 tonnes of scalpings, compressed them

laid down a damp proof course and 1.5 tonnes ready mix concrete

recruited all hands for the jenga bit

big and small

lick of varnish

and a roof

and that's how we built a gym in the garden

Ours is 5m x 4m. 45mm walls, not insulated. Usable all year round- shut the doors and windows in winter, open them in summer. Dunster House supplied the summer house, I supplied the grunt work. Took about a month and cost about 3k all in. Wired for electric of course. It has been fantastic. Go for it!
fenix

PostPosted: Wed May 04, 2016 9:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

That is awesome. Nice work sir.
Jorgan

PostPosted: Thu May 05, 2016 9:10 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

If you have space in the garage, I would just use that; it will be a LOT cooler in the summer and it will probably ultimately deal better with the moisture over the years. A shed will be baltic in the winter too. A bit of organisation has meant our garage has space for the treadmill and a work bench/table for my tools etc, plus the woodstack (beats chest) and various other stuff. I have a set of surplus Ikea wardrobes in there for storage too, to keep it all tidy.
hillwall

PostPosted: Thu May 05, 2016 9:22 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Jorgan wrote:
If you have space in the garage, I would just use that; it will be a LOT cooler in the summer and it will probably ultimately deal better with the moisture over the years. A shed will be baltic in the winter too. A bit of organisation has meant our garage has space for the treadmill and a work bench/table for my tools etc, plus the woodstack (beats chest) and various other stuff. I have a set of surplus Ikea wardrobes in there for storage too, to keep it all tidy.

I don't have a garage unfortunately.

Great to see the pictures from fruit thief. I will have to get someone to build mine for me since I will never get the time to do it myself. I had looked at the Dunster House ones but think I am leaning towards Tiger Sheds. Hoping to get one 5.5mx4.5m.
Cen

PostPosted: Thu May 05, 2016 10:50 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

hillwall wrote:
Great to see the pictures from fruit thief. I will have to get someone to build mine for me since I will never get the time to do it myself. I had looked at the Dunster House ones but think I am leaning towards Tiger Sheds. Hoping to get one 5.5mx4.5m.

I have a dunster house one too (smaller and the previous owner of our house had already laid the base so only had the easy/fun bit of putting the summerhouse in). They're great. Obviously can't compare it to Tiger Sheds as not had one but dunster certainly good.
Chrace

PostPosted: Thu May 05, 2016 12:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

fat buddha wrote:
we have a 7m x 4m summerhouse in our garden which acts as a gym, bike (and bike kit) store plus ...

Any insurance problems? That's not a brick built garage...

Our garage is a pre-fab concrete thingie which can be repaired for about 2.5k. A 3k cabin on top and 500 to wire etc means 6k price tag. Replacing the garage with a brick built one is around 10k, and would overall mean less space.

I would have preferred an extended brick built garage but the price tag is quite a lot in favor of a cabin.
fat buddha

PostPosted: Sat May 07, 2016 8:55 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Chrace wrote:
fat buddha wrote:
we have a 7m x 4m summerhouse in our garden which acts as a gym, bike (and bike kit) store plus ...

Any insurance problems? That's not a brick built garage...

Our garage is a pre-fab concrete thingie which can be repaired for about 2.5k. A 3k cabin on top and 500 to wire etc means 6k price tag. Replacing the garage with a brick built one is around 10k, and would overall mean less space.

I would have preferred an extended brick built garage but the price tag is quite a lot in favor of a cabin.

no insurance issues that we have come across and I "think" it's covered under my home policy - but now I mention that and my renewal has just come through with Pedalcover, it's sown a seed of doubt so I will check with them next week Confused

we don't have a garage and the summerhouse was already in situ when we moved in - it was one of the reasons we bought the place. it's timber clad with a tile roof and was granted planning permission before being built - that we did check!

and fwiw, I also have a 16' x 8' workshop that I am replacing as the current one is made from timber shuttering which is past it's use by date (must be about 30 years old I reckon) so I have ordered a new pressurised timber one to match for 2500, so wooden buildings are reasonably priced compared to solid built.
Davem

PostPosted: Thu May 12, 2016 10:10 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

heres ours - its a dunster house cabin (technically 2 put back to back)
Stivrunning

PostPosted: Thu May 12, 2016 11:29 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

O.M.F.G
FoulOleRon

PostPosted: Thu May 12, 2016 12:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Cen wrote:
hillwall wrote:

I have a dunster house one too (smaller and the previous owner of our house had already laid the base so only had the easy/fun bit of putting the summerhouse in). They're great. Obviously can't compare it to Tiger Sheds as not had one but dunster certainly good.

I have recently erected *snigger* a Tiger Shed log cabin in the garden. Opted for the 28mm version as it is to replace a brick out house for freezers, and also store bikes and garden stuff. So far I'm very impressed. Really solid materials, went up without a hitch - although it did take 2 days. Finish is pretty good as well.
Davem

PostPosted: Thu May 12, 2016 12:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Find a bit of garden

get a digger

Add a lot of hardcore

lay foundations - IIRC 7 cubic of reinforced concrete

Build the giant lego kit

add electrics water and waste

varnish

install endless pool

get the sign off from the management

fill it

and enjoy
Post new topic   Reply to topic    TriTalk.co.uk Forum Index -> General All times are GMT
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Page 1 of 4

Jump to: