Tri Talk HomepageTri Talk EventsTri Talk ForumsBlogsTri Talk TrainingTri TradeTriPlayerWikiTeam Tri Talk
Alpsman Extreme Triathlon, Annecy
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Whisk

PostPosted: Tue May 31, 2016 8:52 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Edz wrote:
Run now going up to the Semnoz, 1300m+. Cse cutoff @ 27km.
http://alps-man.com/en/course/

12 hours is a pretty punchy cut-off time to reach 27km on the run after that bike course.
Doonhamer

PostPosted: Tue May 31, 2016 3:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Whisk wrote:
Edz wrote:
Run now going up to the Semnoz, 1300m+. Cse cutoff @ 27km.
http://alps-man.com/en/course/

12 hours is a pretty punchy cut-off time to reach 27km on the run after that bike course.

It is sporting, but I'm sure you could ease back a bit Wink .
Edz

PostPosted: Tue May 31, 2016 7:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Will try & get round the bike cse next month. Run up to the Semnoz is 'trail'. AdH Long for a warm up in July.
Foggy
Site Admin

PostPosted: Tue May 31, 2016 8:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I was sorely tempted for next year, but not sure how keen I'd be on running up Semnoz on the run!
tuckandgo

PostPosted: Tue May 31, 2016 8:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Looks awesome!

A proper 'can I finish this' challenge.
iainm

PostPosted: Fri Jun 03, 2016 8:57 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

that is a great looking tri. need to get training now and might be able to do it in a couple fo years time!
simonwbooth

PostPosted: Fri Jun 03, 2016 9:55 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

That does look epic
mkhalliwell

PostPosted: Sun Aug 14, 2016 5:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Just come back from a couple of weeks and recce'd the route whilst there. My conclusion - The bike does go up the easier side of Semnoz, but it is still a tough climb. My basic maths, assuming you are a half decent runner and swimmer, would mean that you would need to average over 16.5 mph on that bike course, having swam 3.8k and with a mountain marathon to follow. I consider myself a strong cyclist, but I am NOT entering based on the fact that that is near impossible for anyone, other than a REALLY strong cyclist. Don't get me wrong, I nearly cried when I saw how beautiful the course was, but it isn't possible for me to meet those cut offs (I have completed the full Brutal and ADH long numerous times), so consider myself pretty experienced. There is also a chance that the swim could be non wetsuit, which also doesn't bear thinking about. It is a long way to go to DNF. Sorry to be so pessimistic. Anyone who gets round this course will have bragging rights over any Norseman, Celtman Swissman finisher and will experience the most beautiful course in the World, but tough beyond belief. Anyone who gives it a go, will have many nice places to stay really close to the start, so logistics would be fine, but other than that, incredibly tough.Over to you guys!!!!!
Edz

PostPosted: Wed Aug 17, 2016 10:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

All being well & I complete it, I'll do a write up & post on here. I've ridden all of the course & not too worried about the Semnoz as it's early on. More concerned about twice up Col des Prés. Relatively confident about the run, raced a couple of Ultras in the Alps inc Mt Blanc mthn this year. Also done most of the alpine sportives. Not done a long swim since iMUK '12. Can't be as bad as Nice, AdH or Embrun. Lac d'Annecy expected to be about 15° according to locals that time of year. Gotta respect the course but not going to be intimidated by it.
Chrace

PostPosted: Thu Aug 18, 2016 9:56 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Very keen to hear your feedback Edz. This looks like a like a tough but warm Norseman.

But yes, 24kph average on the bike is hard. That is based on 1.5h swim and transitions and 6 min/k run which leaves 7.5 hours for the bike.
Andy916

PostPosted: Thu Aug 18, 2016 10:39 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Edz wrote:
Gotta respect the course but not going to be intimidated by it.

Interesting, it's a slightly lesser version of the Chamonix Evergreen 228 Wink https://www.evergreen-endurance.com/en/races/evergreen-228/ (5000m climb on the bike, 2500m on the trail run, 24hr overall cut-off) I'll report back in 4 weeks...

The inaugural Chamonix event was quite small last year but has a couple of hundred registered this year, along with a few hundred others doing 118 and 58km distances. Seems well organised, by a very responsive Brit/French pair of athletes.

Can't see how many are registered for Alpsman on their quirky website; anyone know?
JeffB

PostPosted: Fri Aug 19, 2016 7:10 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

This event in Chamonix also looks really nice and you can get flights to Geneva pretty easily. I'll be interested to read the report.

Looks like you don't need support for either race unless I've missed something.

Jeff
Andy916

PostPosted: Fri Aug 19, 2016 9:14 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

JeffB wrote:
This event in Chamonix also looks really nice and you can get flights to Geneva pretty easily. I'll be interested to read the report.

Looks like you don't need support for either race unless I've missed something.

Jeff

Yup, 60 quid return flight to Geneva, plenty of under-occupied ski accom in Chamonix, 3am(!) bus transfer to swim start, good support on the point-to-point bike, and no support reqd on the run. Finish in the dark with headtorch.

Penultimate long run last night, 3hrs home from work; racing a half on Sunday; been riding TTs up to 25M, amongst other things, in the relative absence of hills to train on; looking forward to it.
Edz

PostPosted: Tue Oct 04, 2016 5:59 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well that was Epic. The whole swim in the dark. Only 34 reached the cut off so were TOP finishers on the mountain, rest LAKE finish. Write up when I have a moment. Off to Chicago mthn now??? In the money with 5th.
http://alps-man.com/wp-content/uploads/2016/10/AM2016_Classement-détaillé.pdf
WhittleFit

PostPosted: Tue Oct 04, 2016 6:50 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Edz wrote:
Well that was Epic. The whole swim in the dark. Only 34 reached the cut off so were TOP finishers on the mountain, rest LAKE finish. Write up when I have a moment. Off to Chicago mthn now??? In the money with 5th.
http://alps-man.com/wp-content/uploads/2016/10/AM2016_Classement-détaillé.pdf

Awesome result!

I was quite concerned by those cut-off times, not convinced too many would get through, so well done and in the money too!!! Smile
Post new topic   Reply to topic    TriTalk.co.uk Forum Index -> Events All times are GMT
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
Page 2 of 3

Jump to: