Tri Talk HomepageTri Talk EventsTri Talk ForumsBlogsTri Talk TrainingTri TradeTriPlayerWikiTeam Tri Talk
Virgin London Marathon 2017
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Toyota_Crown

Location: Lincoln / Scarborough (Algerino-Land) / Fircombe-on-Sea. sandbagging for daveM

PostPosted: Sun Apr 09, 2017 7:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

yep, Boston seems fairer. If your in your late fifties, it certainly is tough to GFA at London. What's your goal pace nowadays m8?

London's "Age 18-40 sub 3:05" used to be sub 3:00, six or seven years ago roughly. right up until I hit 40. and could I eck as do sub3 back then Doh
85IM+11DIM+D+2Q+2T=133IM
UKIMGrandSlam04-16
jibberjim

PostPosted: Sun Apr 09, 2017 7:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Toyota_Crown wrote:
yep, Boston seems fairer. If your in your late fifties, it certainly is tough to GFA at London.

The problem is that's also the peak finish time for the ballot people, a problem Boston doesn't have as it's only qualifiers. If they made it more like Boston times at london then they'd have too many people all on that sort of time.

So much of it is really about managing numbers not being fair - Boston can be fairer as they control the numbers finishing in each range purely via the time.
sbcoombs

PostPosted: Sun Apr 16, 2017 3:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

So next year I will be 50. If I manage a 3:20 this year, does that count as a GFA for next year or do I need to achieve the 45-49 GFA time.
I am not sure I will ever run it again but it would be nice to have the option to avoid the lottery.
Looking forward to it after many years of missing our. Shame I ma'am carrying an injury but I hope it will be OK.
JeffB

PostPosted: Sun Apr 16, 2017 4:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

sbcoombs wrote:
So next year I will be 50. If I manage a 3:20 this year, does that count as a GFA for next year or do I need to achieve the 45-49 GFA time.
I am not sure I will ever run it again but it would be nice to have the option to avoid the lottery.
Looking forward to it after many years of missing our. Shame I ma'am carrying an injury but I hope it will be OK.

Fairly sure it is your age on the day of the qualifying race, e.g. you'd still need the 40-49 GFA time this year even if you are in the 50 A\G next year. (you might want to check the small print though)

Jeff
t1mmy

PostPosted: Mon Apr 17, 2017 8:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

This will be my first ever marathon and I'm really looking forward to it.

I bruised my knee cap about 6 weeks ago and have been resting it a lot. It means my longest run has been 16 miles so I'll be winging it somewhat on the day.

Good luck everyone!
Oranj

PostPosted: Mon Apr 17, 2017 9:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

JeffB wrote:
sbcoombs wrote:

Fairly sure it is your age on the day of the qualifying race, e.g. you'd still need the 40-49 GFA time this year even if you are in the 50 A\G next year. (you might want to check the small print though)

Jeff

I think it's the other way round: a couple of years ago I ran 3:16 at age 49 and got a GFA place for age-50 (sub-3:20)

New York M run 5-year age bands, which seems a little fairer:
http://www.tcsnycmarathon.org/plan-your-race/2017-time-qualifying-standards
Oranj

PostPosted: Mon Apr 17, 2017 9:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

t1mmy wrote:
This will be my first ever marathon and I'm really looking forward to it.

London as your first marathon, wow, you're in for a real treat! Hope it goes well
sbcoombs

PostPosted: Tue Apr 18, 2017 6:18 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Oranj wrote:
JeffB wrote:
sbcoombs wrote:

Jeff

I think it's the other way round: a couple of years ago I ran 3:16 at age 49 and got a GFA place for age-50 (sub-3:20)

Thanks for the feedback. I hope Oranj is correct, or at least I will if I manage a 3:19
gingerbongo

PostPosted: Tue Apr 18, 2017 9:59 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I 'think' i'm looking forward to this next week. I live in the country and don't really like busy cities ... so naturally running with 35,000 other people is the thing to do!

Seriously though, i've heard a lot about the atmosphere etc and i'm starting to get excited. The biggest PITA seems to be getting to the start line on time and in one piece. Weather forecasts are varying across sites, which means i can pick the one i like the best and for that! They all seem ok, but i'm hoping the wind stays down a little more than forecast.

Any London vets know what the wind is like on the course? Do you get more shelter than other races due to the buildings etc, or are there particular spots that act like a wind tunnel? Is there a favourable wind direction?
TriSam

PostPosted: Tue Apr 18, 2017 10:28 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'll probably be out on the course somewhere, hoping to spot some friends and generally getting jealous. Give us your race number/vest and I'll try and shout and get some photos
gingerbongo

PostPosted: Tue Apr 18, 2017 11:08 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

TriSam wrote:
I'll probably be out on the course somewhere, hoping to spot some friends and generally getting jealous. Give us your race number/vest and I'll try and shout and get some photos

No idea of my number, RS is getting it for me on Wednesday but i'll be in my Blue and yellow Exmouth Harriers vest again ... i'm sure it won't be hard to spot you Sam, it can't be that busy eh?! haha. If you're somewhere in the first half, hopefully i'll be on target; any time after that then who knows!!! Mad Very Happy
OldNick

PostPosted: Tue Apr 18, 2017 11:20 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Oranj wrote:
This one.
Oranj wrote:
That's more like it. At least those times look like someone has actually put some thought behind it. Although the half times look a lot more achievable than the full.
gingerbongo wrote:
Any London vets know what the wind is like on the course?
Only significant wind I can ever recall has been around Canary Wharf on occasions. Nothing to worry about with such a packed field.
explorerJC

PostPosted: Tue Apr 18, 2017 12:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

gingerbongo wrote:
I 'think' i'm looking forward to this next week. I live in the country and don't really like busy cities ... so naturally running with 35,000 other people is the thing to do!

Seriously though, i've heard a lot about the atmosphere etc and i'm starting to get excited. The biggest PITA seems to be getting to the start line on time and in one piece. Weather forecasts are varying across sites, which means i can pick the one i like the best and for that! They all seem ok, but i'm hoping the wind stays down a little more than forecast.

Any London vets know what the wind is like on the course? Do you get more shelter than other races due to the buildings etc, or are there particular spots that act like a wind tunnel? Is there a favourable wind direction?

it can actually get quite hot and claustrophobic in parts of the city...you will welcome a slight breeze..

a favourable direction is any tail wind over those final few miles....

good luck Smile

www.naturalrunningform.co.uk Natural Running Form Coach

2017 Training Camps http://www.appliedtri.co.uk/training-camps/
stenard

PostPosted: Tue Apr 18, 2017 1:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

explorerJC wrote:

a favourable direction is any tail wind over those final few miles....

Met Office is showing wind coming from WNW, so pretty much exactly the wrong direction sadly. As the route is predominantly east to west, quite a large part would appear to be some kind of headwind. Mad
stenard

PostPosted: Tue Apr 18, 2017 1:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

OldNick wrote:

Oranj wrote:
That's more like it. At least those times look like someone has actually put some thought behind it. Although the half times look a lot more achievable than the full.

Definitely. I did the time for 35-39 this year (by a whole 4s!), so if I can replicate that next year, I'd be in for 2019 when I'd move up an AG.

The full mara times are way too fast for me.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    TriTalk.co.uk Forum Index -> Events All times are GMT
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Page 2 of 4

Jump to: