Tri Talk HomepageTri Talk EventsTri Talk ForumsBlogsTri Talk TrainingTri TradeTriPlayerWikiTeam Tri Talk
Virgin London Marathon 2017
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
JeffB

PostPosted: Tue Apr 18, 2017 7:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Oranj wrote:
JeffB wrote:
sbcoombs wrote:
So next year I will be 50. If I manage a 3:20 this year, does that count as a GFA for next year or do I need to achieve the 45-49 GFA time.
I am not sure I will ever run it again but it would be nice to have the option to avoid the lottery.
Looking forward to it after many years of missing our. Shame I ma'am carrying an injury but I hope it will be OK.

Fairly sure it is your age on the day of the qualifying race, e.g. you'd still need the 40-49 GFA time this year even if you are in the 50 A\G next year. (you might want to check the small print though)

Jeff

I think it's the other way round: a couple of years ago I ran 3:16 at age 49 and got a GFA place for age-50 (sub-3:20)

New York M run 5-year age bands, which seems a little fairer:
http://www.tcsnycmarathon.org/plan-your-race/2017-time-qualifying-standards

I've had a look and it isn't very specific, unlike Ironman or New York.

Although it is interesting that it does say 41-49, not 40-49 so essentially a year there?

Berlin is tough though, 2:55 for anyone 45 and above so won't be many over 50 GFA's I'd have guessed.

NY must have changed again, I did it about 6 years ago after a 3:04 I think, fairly sure the year after they changed the M40 to something like 2:50, looks like it has changed again and seems quite reasonable. As was Chicago this year.

Jeff
JeffB

PostPosted: Tue Apr 18, 2017 7:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

gingerbongo wrote:
I 'think' i'm looking forward to this next week. I live in the country and don't really like busy cities ... so naturally running with 35,000 other people is the thing to do!

Seriously though, i've heard a lot about the atmosphere etc and i'm starting to get excited. The biggest PITA seems to be getting to the start line on time and in one piece. Weather forecasts are varying across sites, which means i can pick the one i like the best and for that! They all seem ok, but i'm hoping the wind stays down a little more than forecast.

Any London vets know what the wind is like on the course? Do you get more shelter than other races due to the buildings etc, or are there particular spots that act like a wind tunnel? Is there a favourable wind direction?

I think you do get a bit of shelter but the run back towards parliament when the field thins out could be more exposed as you'll have less of a group to run in.

I'm more worried about the cold and need to avoid wimping it with a base layer again Sad

Jeff
stenard

PostPosted: Tue Apr 18, 2017 8:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The cold?! I'm worried about it being too hot! I know it shouldn't be anything like the temps the weekend of Brighton, but it's still showing as low teens when I'd probably prefer high single figures.
That said, it's in a reasonable range, overcast and showing dry, so can't really complain. Had I not missed the final Boston cutoff, I'd have been running in 25+ yesterday, so this looks pretty much ok!
YKK

PostPosted: Wed Apr 19, 2017 9:10 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Irritatingly the wind is spot on at the moment in London for London. But alas seems to be turning 180 by Sunday. Shame as the wind behind you for the last 6 or so miles would certainly help the trashed legs.

Even at 2:40 GB I expect there is still a surprisingly large amount of people around so you should find someone to draft off.

As someone else said, form memory Canary Wharf creates a couple of wind tunnels, both good and bad.

As for the cold. Yes JB you definitely need to man up.

The harsh GFA cut off's at NY does make for skewed results, I ran last year and a 2:55 got me in the top 500, whilst at London, I suspect you are more down at 1500 and that is with London having the smaller field.
tommy060289

PostPosted: Wed Apr 19, 2017 11:15 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:

The cold?! I'm worried about it being too hot! I know it shouldn't be anything like the temps the weekend of Brighton, but it's still showing as low teens when I'd probably prefer high single figures.
That said, it's in a reasonable range, overcast and showing dry, so can't really complain. Had I not missed the final Boston cutoff, I'd have been running in 25+ yesterday, so this looks pretty much ok!

Last year when I ran the NYC half I turned up at the start in gloves, shorts and a singlet (with a baselayer). It was 2 degrees above and everyone else was in coats, big layers, etc. I had no disposable layers so toughed it out but ran a 2 minute PB on a tough course. Cold is good.

Very much hoping it cools a bit before the weekend for London!
ttowel

PostPosted: Fri Apr 21, 2017 1:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

stenard wrote:

I must have been at a different Brighton. Never went above 17 degrees.
KingstonGraham

PostPosted: Fri Apr 21, 2017 2:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

JeffB wrote:

I'm more worried about the cold and need to avoid wimping it with a base layer again :(

Jeff

It's not forecast to be any less than 9 degrees - that has to be singlet weather.
stenard

PostPosted: Fri Apr 21, 2017 2:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

ttowel wrote:
stenard wrote:

I must have been at a different Brighton. Never went above 17 degrees.

All relative I guess. Maybe you are good with the heat?

It was fairly well reported as hot, which was not surprising given that day was the hottest day of the year overall for the UK. News reports have it at 21, and temp alone also ignores the fact they were apparently short of water. I know one c3.15 runner from my club has referenced the water situation internally.
http://www.theargus.co.uk/news/15214134.Thousands_of_runners_complete_Brighton_Marathon_2017_on_hottest_day_of_the_year/
http://www.midsussextimes.co.uk/news/county-news-marathon-faces-criticism-over-lack-of-water-1-7908932

People I know who live down there and do it most years were substantially slower than prior years.

Anyway, my point was that the temperature in London wouldnt be in the realm of what the temperature was like in London on the weekend of Brighton. It was >22 in central London by midday, and that would have been right in the middle of the marathon and a bit of a killer. For me, anyway.
http://www.itv.com/news/2017-04-09/its-official-uk-enjoys-hottest-day-of-2017/
Wheezy

PostPosted: Sun Apr 23, 2017 4:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

What news from London?
t1mmy

PostPosted: Mon Apr 24, 2017 12:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Having read through some great race reports in the past I thought I'd put up a mediocre one!

6ish weeks ago I bruised my knee cap which pretty much scuppered my training plans. I'd entered Reading Half which was a month before London and took it very steady, running with someone from work. My knee was really painful so I made the decision to concentrate on my swimming and give cycling and running a rest, whilst icing regularly and rolling.

In between Reading Half and London I did a whopping 3 runs:
- 2 weeks after a 5km, my knee felt uncomfortable but no pain
- 3 weeks after 10 miles, uncomfortable again and a little pain
- Tuesday last week a 5km, no discomfort or pain!

Fast forward to race day and it's safe to say I was woefully unprepared but not overly worried. At this point I'd only run further than a half once in my life and that was a 16 miler.

I got into London with plenty of time to spare and jumped on a train which would get me to Blackheath at 9:04, leaving plenty of time for at least one toilet stop before the race and a relaxed change and bag drop. The train arrived at 9:30 which led to a jog across to the start, quick change and dump of the bag and one last panicked toilet stop.

I know quite a few people who have done London before and they've all said that it can be pretty congested at the start so I'd made a conscious decision to just go with the flow and not be upset if we set off chronically slow. Anyway we set off a low 8 min/mile pace which I was more than happy with.

At this point I got a bit giddy and looking back I can say that I went too fast. Hindsight is a wonderful thing but at the time I felt comfortable. I settled into it with a few people around me and one of the first things to strike me was that it was a lot warmer than I thought it would be. The shower sprayers along the course were a godsend.

It all started to get a little bit uncomfortable around 9 miles which is never a good sign, however my knee felt fine. For some reason I felt like death running onto Tower Bridge but the got a second wind and felt fine. Who wants to get a second wind 9 miles in?!?!

I passed through the half way point in 1:46 and saw all the elites legging it on the other side of the road around 22 miles in. It was great to see them!

Only 3 miles further down the road and I was now in uncharted territory in terms of distance. I was starting to feel uncomfortable again and quite a few people around me had started to cramp up and walk. I realised I was still tracking below a 4 hour finish so I kept the legs moving.

At around 22 miles I saw Will, Kate and Harry handing out water which was all a bit random. I shouted out Will's name much like Rocky did for Adrian and he laughed and gave me a thumbs up. I'd like to say it gave me a much needed boost and put a spring in my step, but the reality is that it didn't and I was dieing on my arse out there.

I'd spent about the last 10 miles of the race continually overtaking someone called Joey (it was printed on his shirt) who was adopting what appeared to be a pretty solid run/walk strategy. In that I never saw him run past me but kept seeing him walking. Sadly I saw him lying on the floor at around mile 24 being attended to, hopefully he got back on his feet and walked the last bit!

Finishing for me was never in doubt but I was ecstatic to finally see Buckingham Palace. In the run towards the mall I got overtaken by someone in an 8ft costume that looked like a giant child, chapeau to them they were legging it. I was pleased to see the 400m sign, who wouldn't be, it's only 1 lap of a running track. However, the distance between that and the 200m sign felt like a mile!

Anyway I managed to finish and run all the way which I'm pleased with, even more so that I clocked a time of 3:57:54!

I've never been so relieved to finish a race in all my life. I wove my way down the Mall with my medal round my neck when I was given a goodie bag. Now I like freebies as much as the next person but it weighed a tonne, I think mine may have had a commemorative brick in it.

Looking back on it today I can honestly say it was the best and worst race I've ever entered. The crowds are phenomenal all the way round and that's what makes it special. Pain is temporary and all that.

Role on Ironman Wales in September when I get to do it all again as I won't be running another marathon before then!
snowie

PostPosted: Mon Apr 24, 2017 2:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

apparantly a women managed to run the 2nd fastest female marathon time (old rules) or the womens fastest world record time (new rules) but its difficult to find it in the news.

when a bloke does that it will be news.

otherwise i had a good run & its a good T shirt Surprised
TriSam

PostPosted: Mon Apr 24, 2017 2:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

snowie wrote:
apparantly a women managed to run the 2nd fastest female marathon time (old rules) or the womens fastest world record time (new rules) but its difficult to find it in the news.

I heard it today on the radio, after a long bit about Josh Griffiths, and his clubmate who was the one to carry a Chorlton runner across the line. You'd think that this would be bigger news, I agree
Whisk

PostPosted: Mon Apr 24, 2017 2:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

TriSam wrote:
snowie wrote:

I heard it today on the radio, after a long bit about Josh Griffiths, and his clubmate who was the one to carry a Chorlton runner across the line. You'd think that this would be bigger news, I agree

It was one of the top stories on the BBC Sport web page yesterday afternoon and I think it was even on the BBC News front page too for a while.
Tin Pot

PostPosted: Mon Apr 24, 2017 4:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Also Christie Wellington won the F40-44 group with 2:42.

Good on her, but feel a bit for the 2nd placer. Is a multiple world champ Ironman ever really an age grouper?
Sprint '16 1h17, '14 1h40, '13 2h01
Half Mara '16 2h04, '14 2h07
10 Mile TT '16 00:26:30
Trail 10K '16 54:01 '13 54:46
explorerJC

PostPosted: Mon Apr 24, 2017 7:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Tin Pot wrote:
Also Christie Wellington won the F40-44 group with 2:42.

Good on her, but feel a bit for the 2nd placer. Is a multiple world champ Ironman ever really an age grouper?

absolutely...i assume she is female (still) and 40 - 44?

www.naturalrunningform.co.uk Natural Running Form Coach

2017 Training Camps http://www.appliedtri.co.uk/training-camps/
Post new topic   Reply to topic    TriTalk.co.uk Forum Index -> Events All times are GMT
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Page 3 of 4

Jump to: