Tri Talk HomepageTri Talk EventsTri Talk ForumsBlogsTri Talk TrainingTri TradeTriPlayerWikiTeam Tri Talk
Virgin London Marathon 2017
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4

View previous topic :: View next topic  
gingerbongo

PostPosted: Mon Apr 24, 2017 8:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I had a nice chat with Chrissie, then ran off into the distance after wishing each other good luck. But then my race went south and I saw her gliding past an hour or so later! Lovely lady!
JeffB

PostPosted: Mon Apr 24, 2017 9:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Tin Pot wrote:
Also Christie Wellington won the F40-44 group with 2:42.

Good on her, but feel a bit for the 2nd placer. Is a multiple world champ Ironman ever really an age grouper?

Fairly sure it was 2:49? either way, impressive, but yes also a bit of sympathy for the lady that finished 2nd. Ex pro athlete, not that long retired and still world record IM finisher.

But strictly speaking she was competing as an A\G'er.

Similar thing at IM Barca last year when they announced the winner of one of the old male age groups, turns out he represented Spain at race walking in the Olympics a long time back so no stranger to top level endurance sports.

But credit to both for still training and competing, but part of their nature really.

Jeff
snowie

PostPosted: Tue Apr 25, 2017 7:23 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Tin Pot wrote:
Also Christie Wellington won the F40-44 group with 2:42.

Good on her, but feel a bit for the 2nd placer. Is a multiple world champ Ironman ever really an age grouper?

Chrissie has not raced as a pro since 2011, so yes she s just an AG er but a very talented one.
gingerbongo

PostPosted: Tue Apr 25, 2017 8:51 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Old Cracknell ran a pretty flippin awesome race. Went under Champs time with awesomely even splits - and that's a guy who is not built to be a runner!
Whisk

PostPosted: Tue Apr 25, 2017 8:54 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

There's lots of coverage of the bloke helping the other runner across the line. I didn't realise that they were so far up the field they were - the guy who was collapsing finished in 2:51 and the guy carrying him was about a minute behind on total time Shocked
blindcider

PostPosted: Tue Apr 25, 2017 9:10 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Whisk wrote:
There's lots of coverage of the bloke helping the other runner across the line. I didn't realise that they were so far up the field they were - the guy who was collapsing finished in 2:51 and the guy carrying him was about a minute behind on total time Shocked

Coverage was a little bit on the exploitative side by the BBC IMO. Focusing on a poor guy in front of millions of viewers. Fully expect his colleagues/friends to give him stick along the 'bambi on ice' lines for ever more.

Also having watched portions of the finish line feed from the BBC it is clear that there were tens, if not hundreds of people helped over the line by other runners or in a state as bad as (if not worse than) this fella.

That's not to take anything away from the guy who helped him, just that this was not unique
tommy060289

PostPosted: Tue Apr 25, 2017 11:29 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I finished 20 seconds behind the floppy legs guy and didn't realise I was so close as I saw it up on the screens as I rounded the corner on the mall! Lucky for me it means I can see myself running down the mall as he crosses the line:D

like you say though theres plenty more where that came from. I checked the finish line cam yesterday and watched a friend cross about 3:38 and within the minute prior to her crossing two people crossed and in a collapsed state (one being grabbed to stop him spearing the finish line bollards!)
Buzz_

PostPosted: Tue Apr 25, 2017 12:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

gingerbongo wrote:
Old Cracknell ran a pretty flippin awesome race. Went under Champs time with awesomely even splits - and that's a guy who is not built to be a runner!

Although he looked a lot leaner on Sunday than I have ever seen him before. Still a big unit, but noticeably more gaunt.

--
Cal_Ife

PostPosted: Tue Apr 25, 2017 2:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I was lucky enough to get a place in the marathon from my running club. I'm more of a half marathon runner but I trained as hard as I could for the event. Now I knew I wouldn't be quick (I do HM in around 2.20) but as it was VLM I wasn't worried about a time as the cut off is around 8 hours.

So while I ran a reasonable pace (for me) I also high fived plenty of people, took photos on the way round and exchanged a few words with people I know spectating. I finished in under 6 hours with thousands of people behind me and then discovered that there were no small or medium t shirts left - grrrrr. Very surprised that something as well organised as that ran out of t shirts. There was also no coverage of me crossing the finish line on BBC red button as the cameras had been turned off.

I'll never do this event again so I was determined to enjoy it rather than race for a time but if I'd known these things I would have run quicker! I have done a marathon in 5.15 before. When the cut off is 8 hours then I would expect things to finish then, not around 2 hours before!!

Shouldn't moan though as many people never get the chance to experience this event at all.
JeffB

PostPosted: Wed Apr 26, 2017 9:39 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Mr Gorilla is just getting to half way

https://twitter.com/GorillaSaver

Jeff
OldNick

PostPosted: Thu Apr 27, 2017 11:21 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The song remains the same...
https://www.virginmoneylondonmarathon.com/en-gb/how-to-enter/good-age-entry/
Post new topic   Reply to topic    TriTalk.co.uk Forum Index -> Events All times are GMT
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4
Page 4 of 4

Jump to: