Tri Talk HomepageTri Talk EventsTri Talk ForumsBlogsTri Talk TrainingTri TradeTriPlayerWikiTeam Tri Talk
Ultimate Tri/Ultimate Half, Shropshire on Sunday?

View previous topic :: View next topic  
ploddinglady

PostPosted: Fri Jul 01, 2016 7:58 pm    Post subject: Ultimate Tri/Ultimate Half, Shropshire on Sunday? Reply with quote

am going watching Ultimate Tri on Sunday. Does anyone know if I park on site can I leave in the middle of the race or are the roads closed? Not sure where is best to park and don't want to be faffing with parking and miss the start.
I can't stay till end though - any one done it? Any suggestions?
SwimsLikeAWalrus

PostPosted: Sat Jul 02, 2016 9:21 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Never done the tri but been there and there is loads of space to park. I would have thought that you'd be able to get out once all the bikes have gone out.
trimart

PostPosted: Sat Jul 02, 2016 5:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Done half twice assuming course similar I shud imagine deffo OK once bikes in possibly OK with caution\advice from Marshalls once bulk of riders in.
Lovely venue. Enjoy
Toyota_Crown

Location: Lincoln / Scarborough (Algerino-Land) / Fircombe-on-Sea. sandbagging for daveM

PostPosted: Wed Jul 20, 2016 4:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I did a wee report for this. Couldn't help myself, I'd done IsoMan the day before tho: Crazy Psychotic

UK Triathlon Events are a long established tri specific race organiser and have a wide portfolio of events, mainly in the NW.

It's the Fourth year of the 'Ultimate' Tri and Ultimate Half, both held on the same day, so the races now have quite a bit of history and form. There's a big event buzz and there are lots of entries for the Half in particular, which generates its own buzz. The Ultimate is the classic 'ironman' distance of 2.4 miles sw1m, 112 mile bike and then a marathon. Half is the '70.3/half ironman' distance.
Ultimate competitors go off first at 7am, so it's a much more relaxed start for the Halfers mid morning.

Dearnford Lake is just outside of Whitchurch in leafy Shropshire, near the border with Cheshire. In all 4 years of the event somehow its always sunny and decent weather.
Sw1m is a good 'un, nice clear water, you can follow feet and all that kind of stuff. For a sw1m its an entertaining course around an island and then this year an M shape. There is an Australian exit i.e. you get out and back in and do another lap, after running about 30 metres. Gives you chance to grab a drink, and check your lap splits, and generally catch your breath and reset yourself for the next lap, and lets your supporters and spectators see you. I particularly like this format. 2 laps for the Halfers. 4 for Ultimate. OK I was a clever so n so and had done a Long Distance tri on Saturday the day before, and that had a 7 mile (! yes 7! Doh ) sw1m, but I felt ok at the start and that this would be a breeze by a comparison, but I faded on later laps and was pleased to get out. Maybe I'd fade anyway. But I think I faded more due to yesterdays exploits. Interesting. The sw1m course was a tad long this year so no-one got short changed - Good value for money Wink

Bike course is one of the few that is relatively flat in the this country for an IM. Road surface is ok, worn out patches in places like anywhere, watch out for some sunken manholes near Cholmondeley Castle.
Route is all on 'A' roads but these are really not busy and are quite wide, especially the Whitchurch bypass. Out by the pretty village of Bulkely you skirt the Peckton Hills for the lumpiest but most scenic part of the course. Strangely on the later laps these seem to get steeper, funny that Wink. Same as the sw1m, it's 2 bike laps for the Halfers, 4 for the full ironpeeps. It's quite a heads down rock n roll non-technical course that you can blast around, defo a TT bike course. Some large roundabouts to swoop round, I was never held up, and enjoy timing my entry into these. Well marshalled and signed, no issues there. As it's such a rural area this is evident by the roadkill that marks out the laps repeatedly, eg squashed badger hill! 2 badgers and 2 foxes last year, just 2 badgers this year but throw in an owl! Not nice to see but a good sign the wild life is thriving.
It's not quite as fast a course as the profile would suggest but is a blast and has enough undulations and scenery to be interesting. There's two aid stations out on the course, and another back at the venue turnaround, where there is a closed minor road, spectator friendly. The Marshalls on the exit back on to the road were yet again particularly supportive, great fun. OK well they were nuts! Smile
Unfortunately I seemed to labour on the bike, yesterday overly taking its toll on my mojo. Dammit. 6 1/2 hrs Doh

The run is spectator friendly. Best spot is by the Park cafe where you do a turn around. Very sociable where supporters sit out and cheer and have some refreshments drink! Initially each lap is a good surfaced grass trail section round the lake and grounds and then its onto the closed minor road for the majority of the lap. This has just a few undulations to make the Walk Run strategy work at obvious points. Walk Run DEFINITELY works for the iron distance, when it's a case of being clever with your energy, and you can recoup some mojo on the Walk sections, which you obviously do on the bits of Uphills. The race fuel was High5 IsoGels, both regular and caffeinated, so an excellent choice, as well as the other usual fare. Marshalls were great, have a cup of whatever you want ready for you if you shout up.
The run course is good for racing, as when you get out onto the closed road, you go out and back TWICE each lap, and the course is well marked to this effect, and well marshalled checking numbers so you can't screw up and just do one. Good for racing in that if your chasing someone or being chased, you get loads of opportunities to see if your catching them or being caught etc. And loads of chance to encourage each other. A trick I learned from EnduroMan is that high fiving each other and giving mutual encouragement became the norm not the exception after i joined the course. An advantage for the Middle to Back of Pack Halfers is that as they are mid way thru their run when the full ironers join the run course. So it's not lonely for them, the cut-oofs can be generous (a why not, since the full IM has all night to run) and plenty of support and encouragement can be given as they dig deep.

My race ended OK. I paced the first three laps using a zero energy easy bimble and walk strategy, and did the first three laps steady in an hour each. I dared let rip on the last lap, which felt absolutely electric, and I maintained it to the finish picking up a few places which was a blast, for my 115th ironman race. (Yes, 115! Surprised ) Loved it. Look forward to returning to this venue and seeing both races on the calendar again next year, as they compliment each other well. The kudos of running a great full iron-distance Ultimate race being something all the Halfers and shorter distance UK Tri competitors can aspire to one day.
97IM+12DIM+D+3Q+4T=158IM
UKIMGrandSlam04-18
PCP

PostPosted: Wed Jul 20, 2016 7:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Great report, you couldn't have described the course any better.
I did the 1/2 last year then stayed on and manned the feed station at the cafe turnaround for the full competitors. I'd like to go back and do the full but I have IMUK on my radar for next year.
Tahr

PostPosted: Wed Jul 20, 2016 8:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I too did the half last year, good write up, the lake was so warm as I remember. Cool

ATB

Tahr

Fitness forged in the furnace of competition.
Andy916

PostPosted: Tue Nov 20, 2018 2:54 pm    Post subject: Ultimate and other Shrops entry fees reduced for black 'frid Reply with quote

Thanks for the report TC, 2 years hence Smile

Thinking of doing this one next year, having had a year out due to shoulder rehab and being up to my ears in renovating a Shrops smallholding (will be living there by next year).

Entry fees are reduced 25% at the moment for black 'friday' - https://uktriathlon.co.uk/events/black-friday
PCP

PostPosted: Tue Nov 20, 2018 3:12 pm    Post subject: Re: Ultimate and other Shrops entry fees reduced for black ' Reply with quote

Andy916 wrote:
Thanks for the report TC, 2 years hence Smile

Thinking of doing this one next year, having had a year out due to shoulder rehab and being up to my ears in renovating a Shrops smallholding (will be living there by next year).

Entry fees are reduced 25% at the moment for black 'friday' - https://uktriathlon.co.uk/events/black-friday

Cotswold 113 is the week after. It is turning into a little tritalk meet! Very Happy
Post new topic   Reply to topic    TriTalk.co.uk Forum Index -> General All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: