Tri Talk HomepageTri Talk EventsTri Talk ForumsBlogsTri Talk TrainingTri TradeTriPlayerWikiTeam Tri Talk
Ironman Lanzarote 2017
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
explorerJC

PostPosted: Sun May 21, 2017 6:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

one of my athletes just didn't get going at lanza on the bike, so a summary of the conditions would be useful, that said, he ran a cat best 3.16 off the bike...

www.naturalrunningform.co.uk Natural Running Form Coach

2017 Training Camps http://www.appliedtri.co.uk/training-camps/
midsfella

PostPosted: Sun May 21, 2017 9:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Two words......F ₩ĄŁ€_ingredients BRUTAL.
lutterworth1

PostPosted: Mon May 22, 2017 7:27 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Wind swung around during the race, so you had a headwind back from Rio! Was a tough day!
snowie

PostPosted: Mon May 22, 2017 7:40 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

once again the GB girls flew the flag with a 1-2-3 sweep of the board lucy charles, corrinne abraham & lucy gossage:winner: Winner Winner

lucy charles (edit) also had the fatest swim 47:06 WOW

not sure whats happening with the mens long distance maybe we have to wait for alistar to step up?

congratulations to Brian Fogarty GB AG'ers who came 11th and also to kate comber who came 6th in the ladies race.

looks like it was a Sun Sun Sun day out there

Last edited by snowie on Mon May 22, 2017 7:47 am; edited 1 time in total
TriSam

PostPosted: Mon May 22, 2017 7:45 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

It was Lucy Charles with the 47:06! Only 8 seconds slower than the fastest male swim time. New bike course record for her too! Machine

Her fiance Reece Barclay also put in a great race to finish 1st in his AG and 14th Overall, 2nd amateur.

Not a bad day out!

Last edited by TriSam on Mon May 22, 2017 10:48 am; edited 1 time in total
snowie

PostPosted: Mon May 22, 2017 7:48 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

TriSam wrote:
It was Lucy Charles with the 47:06! Only 8 seconds slower than the fastest male swim time. New bike course record for her too! Machine

Her fiancee Reece Barclay also put in a great race to finish 1st in his AG and 14th Overall, 2nd amateur.

Not a bad day out!

edited
thank you
Jorgan

PostPosted: Mon May 22, 2017 7:54 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

snowie wrote:

not sure whats happening with the mens long distance maybe we have to wait for alistar to step up?

Two British men have gone sub-8 in the last 12 months.
midsfella

PostPosted: Mon May 22, 2017 8:22 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

For me, my race went like this....
The swim was horrible, it was a battle, impossible to swim as everyone was frantic, I lost my Googles 3 times on the 1st lap after being brutalised in the mayhem, kicked, punched, pulled back, swam over, elbowed, it was dangerous and frightening at times, I didn't see any clear water until the far last buoy on the second lap, swim time 1.09 mins.

The bike was everything and more, hard but rewarding, the wind was a battle at times but hey this is lanza, it's what you expect, I agree, on the return back your PDC, the wind only helped on the odd occasion, it certainly wasn't how I'd expected it to be from previous visits to this island. On the bike I drank 14 bottles of water and energy drink, by the time I arrived in PDC, I hadn't had a slash and was aware that my mouth felt dry, this was the start of my panic as the temp was nearly 35 degree's, bike split 5.58.

Onto the run, my legs felt strong, I made a deal that the 1st two aid stations I would walk and get as much fluid on board as possible, I also had 2 bananas and an energy gel, after the 2nd station, I felt bloated and all this stuff was sloshing around in my stomach, game over for me, stomach cramps, facts, burps and reflux literally finished me off, I was reduced to walking and finished the run (well walk) in 4.04 some 40ish minutes on what I'd hoped for.

I was gutted but crossed the line feeling relieved, there were athletes all over the floor and in the medical tent getting worked on, it was scary to see, ambulances were back and forth as people lay lifeless on beds.....

The only disappointment for me was the swim, this is damn right dangerous, how somebody didn't drown is beyond me, they need to change the course or make this race a rolling start as someone will in my opinion get seriously hurt or worse....

Fantastic support on every discipline, what a race, what a feeling, I get goose bumps looking at my medal, that hurt but was definitely worth it.

Well done to everyone who finished, you certainly earnt that ironman status here.
fat buddha

PostPosted: Mon May 22, 2017 8:31 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Jorgan wrote:
snowie wrote:

maybe so, but the field is generally getting faster so getting the GB men on the podium is still tough. sure we get the odd one or 2 but the men aren't there in numbers like the women
Jorgan

PostPosted: Mon May 22, 2017 8:36 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

fat buddha wrote:
Jorgan wrote:
snowie wrote:

maybe so, but the field is generally getting faster so getting the GB men on the podium is still tough. sure we get the odd one or 2 but the men aren't there in numbers like the women

True. But, I would also argue that men's endurance sports are generally more competitive, by virtue of the fact there are way more men participating at all levels.
dss123

PostPosted: Mon May 22, 2017 10:21 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

midsfella wrote:
For me, my race went like this....
The swim was horrible, it was a battle, impossible to swim as everyone was frantic, I lost my Googles 3 times on the 1st lap after being brutalised in the mayhem, kicked, punched, pulled back, swam over, elbowed, it was dangerous and frightening at times, I didn't see any clear water until the far last buoy on the second lap, swim time 1.09 mins.

The bike was everything and more, hard but rewarding, the wind was a battle at times but hey this is lanza, it's what you expect, I agree, on the return back your PDC, the wind only helped on the odd occasion, it certainly wasn't how I'd expected it to be from previous visits to this island. On the bike I drank 14 bottles of water and energy drink, by the time I arrived in PDC, I hadn't had a slash and was aware that my mouth felt dry, this was the start of my panic as the temp was nearly 35 degree's, bike split 5.58.

Onto the run, my legs felt strong, I made a deal that the 1st two aid stations I would walk and get as much fluid on board as possible, I also had 2 bananas and an energy gel, after the 2nd station, I felt bloated and all this stuff was sloshing around in my stomach, game over for me, stomach cramps, facts, burps and reflux literally finished me off, I was reduced to walking and finished the run (well walk) in 4.04 some 40ish minutes on what I'd hoped for.

I was gutted but crossed the line feeling relieved, there were athletes all over the floor and in the medical tent getting worked on, it was scary to see, ambulances were back and forth as people lay lifeless on beds.....

The only disappointment for me was the swim, this is damn right dangerous, how somebody didn't drown is beyond me, they need to change the course or make this race a rolling start as someone will in my opinion get seriously hurt or worse....

Fantastic support on every discipline, what a race, what a feeling, I get goose bumps looking at my medal, that hurt but was definitely worth it.

Well done to everyone who finished, you certainly earnt that ironman status here.

I would concur with this....

Swim was just dreadful. So aggressive. I just don't understand why it seems to be so much worse than other mass start IM races? What is it with Lanza? Don't think it helped allowing all the AWA off after the pros and in front of the sub hour AG swimmers. What a stupid thing to do.

I'd cruised round a lap in 30 minutes during the days before and felt a long 50 minutes was well on the cards.

Race day, 30 minute first lap, 33 minute second lap as I felt fecked. I love sea swimming but there was no enjoyment at all. Just wanted it to end as quickly as possible. Horrible.

Bike felt tougher than when I raced in 2013. Road surfaces seemed a bit worse. Famara beach and Nazaret are now beyond a joke.

Wind seemed to change and never really seemed to help much until the very end. Even the TT section was just a long tedious slog for me - staring at my power meter and trying not to get too depressed at my speed! 5:55 bike split - disappointed with that.

The run was like an oven, the aid stations were too far apart and the bloody Coke (when available) was watered down! Some aid stations were just RedBull - Just what you want when you've been spitting feathers for 2 miles! Bleughhhh!! Really no excuse when you think how much we pay to enter these races.

Managed to pull together an ok 3:28 run - but it was more survival really.

Missed a Kona spot by 2 minutes at roll down.

So not many positives from this years race for me.

Kudos to anyone who survived in one piece. I'm not sure I'll be back in a hurry.
Jorgan

PostPosted: Mon May 22, 2017 10:39 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

dss123 wrote:

Don't think it helped allowing all the AWA off after the pros and in front of the sub hour AG swimmers. What a stupid thing to do.

That's because AWA is basically a queue jumping scheme for 'frequent fliers' Wink
tburkinshaw

PostPosted: Mon May 22, 2017 10:46 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Concur with the comments on swimming. I started third row on the front on the beach, and got absolutely smashed. First time I've panicked, and swam way too hard for the first 600m to try and get space, but was wrecked and swam the rest easy and solo. Got calf/quad cramps towards the end and struggled to get out of the water. 59 mins.

Never really got going after that and stomach was a mess, but thoroughly enjoyed the bike and having closed roads. Tough conditions, headwind for first 25km was brutal and heartbreaking not to have a tailwind from Arrieta - was doing 25 mins faster on same power three weeks ago. 6:00 inc missing last right turn off highway and doing extra 6km.

Was walking by 18km on the run and not digesting properly all day, so called it a day. Bolton coming up and will be back next year - next time will just go wide off the start, as the stress cost me the race.

Re swim, think two things would help:
-wider start, as ~20 people wide makes it too dense.
-have first turn buoy straight ahead, whereas everyone ran to the left which made it denser still
Can't imagine how bad it must have been further back.
dss123

PostPosted: Mon May 22, 2017 11:20 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Jorgan wrote:
dss123 wrote:

Don't think it helped allowing all the AWA off after the pros and in front of the sub hour AG swimmers. What a stupid thing to do.

That's because AWA is basically a queue jumping scheme for 'frequent fliers' Wink

It's a load of b0ll0x.

I saw so many AWA swim hats at the bottom of the ocean as I swam by. I'm assuming they weren't still attached to the athletes... and must have just been torn off as they got swum over.

Also saw a load of swimmers from the AWA start jump over the lane rope on the left and had the benefit of a nice private lagoon all the way to the first buoy - which they probably cut off as well.

I just don't get that mentality.
dss123

PostPosted: Mon May 22, 2017 11:25 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

tburkinshaw wrote:
Concur with the comments on swimming. I started third row on the front on the beach, and got absolutely smashed. First time I've panicked, and swam way too hard for the first 600m to try and get space, but was wrecked and swam the rest easy and solo. Got calf/quad cramps towards the end and struggled to get out of the water. 59 mins.

Never really got going after that and stomach was a mess, but thoroughly enjoyed the bike and having closed roads. Tough conditions, headwind for first 25km was brutal and heartbreaking not to have a tailwind from Arrieta - was doing 25 mins faster on same power three weeks ago. 6:00 inc missing last right turn off highway and doing extra 6km.

Was walking by 18km on the run and not digesting properly all day, so called it a day. Bolton coming up and will be back next year - next time will just go wide off the start, as the stress cost me the race.

Re swim, think two things would help:
-wider start, as ~20 people wide makes it too dense.
-have first turn buoy straight ahead, whereas everyone ran to the left which made it denser still
Can't imagine how bad it must have been further back.

Tough luck mate... Though starting far right didn't seem to help me Sad

I actually think self seeded AG waves with 5 minute gaps are better than a rolling start. At least that way you can still race "head to head" in your AG and it has the added benefit of splitting up the faster swimmers so they don't all start the bike together and form packs.

Rolling starts still keep the fast guys together.

I remember Challenge Barca doing AG starts one year - I had a fantastic biff free swim
Post new topic   Reply to topic    TriTalk.co.uk Forum Index -> Events All times are GMT
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10  Next
Page 8 of 10

Jump to: