Tri Talk HomepageTri Talk EventsTri Talk ForumsBlogsTri Talk TrainingTri TradeTriPlayerWikiTeam Tri Talk
Ironman Lanzarote 2017
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
explorerJC

PostPosted: Mon May 22, 2017 11:31 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

'my' athlete started wide on the AWA with the aim of holding each pack as they came through. Carnage and lesson learnt...was marginally faster than last year but 6 mins down on the lower target....

was 35 mins down on bike target. still reviewing the numbers but obviously the wind clearly had an impact.

Kept his head and ran 6 mins faster than last year and only 1 minute slower than the top Brit...

www.naturalrunningform.co.uk Natural Running Form Coach

2017 Training Camps http://www.appliedtri.co.uk/training-camps/
TRO Saracen

PostPosted: Mon May 22, 2017 11:50 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Crikey that swim sounds horrendous.

My Lanza in 2014 was OK, I swam 1:10. Mate of mine swam 1:24 and got a hiding. Maybe I was lucky and just in the sweetspot where swimmers are compentent and swim straight/consistently, but not ultra aggressive pointy end types.

Reminds me of why I like rolling starts though, well done to all that survived that, on top of everything else Lanza chucks at you.

Great race....

Oi knee, do one....
SGreg

PostPosted: Mon May 22, 2017 12:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

dss123 wrote:

I remember Challenge Barca doing AG starts one year - I had a fantastic biff free swim

Same at Ironman Copenhagen (which was challenge) and It was such a sedate swim, bordering on boring.

Lanza easily the worst swim I've had. and that was years ago with a smaller field.
lutterworth1

PostPosted: Mon May 22, 2017 1:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The swim smooth way is the way to go, done Mallorca the week before with 4,000 people, no biff or hassle what so ever. It's the way to go, self seeding in huge waves simply doesn't work.
Jorgan

PostPosted: Mon May 22, 2017 2:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've never experienced a bad start in an Ironman/Challenge event, whether that's AG waves or a mass start. Yet to do a rolling start. Sounds like they need to widen out the start area in Lanza. I thought all WTC events were wave or rolling starts now?
tburkinshaw

PostPosted: Mon May 22, 2017 3:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

dss123 wrote:
tburkinshaw wrote:
Concur with the comments on swimming. I started third row on the front on the beach, and got absolutely smashed. First time I've panicked, and swam way too hard for the first 600m to try and get space, but was wrecked and swam the rest easy and solo. Got calf/quad cramps towards the end and struggled to get out of the water. 59 mins.

Never really got going after that and stomach was a mess, but thoroughly enjoyed the bike and having closed roads. Tough conditions, headwind for first 25km was brutal and heartbreaking not to have a tailwind from Arrieta - was doing 25 mins faster on same power three weeks ago. 6:00 inc missing last right turn off highway and doing extra 6km.

Was walking by 18km on the run and not digesting properly all day, so called it a day. Bolton coming up and will be back next year - next time will just go wide off the start, as the stress cost me the race.

Re swim, think two things would help:
-wider start, as ~20 people wide makes it too dense.
-have first turn buoy straight ahead, whereas everyone ran to the left which made it denser still
Can't imagine how bad it must have been further back.

Tough luck mate... Though starting far right didn't seem to help me Sad

I actually think self seeded AG waves with 5 minute gaps are better than a rolling start. At least that way you can still race "head to head" in your AG and it has the added benefit of splitting up the faster swimmers so they don't all start the bike together and form packs.

Rolling starts still keep the fast guys together.

I remember Challenge Barca doing AG starts one year - I had a fantastic biff free swim

Though having started in one of the last AG to go in Mallorca/Wiesbaden, it isn't great to overtake so much of the field on the swim/bike and probably stressful for the slower/earlier starters too.

I think a wide start in the water with a decent distance to first buoy or rolling start works best for most.

Just saw this clip of the action...
https://twitter.com/IRONMANLive/status/865812142284562432
midsfella

PostPosted: Mon May 22, 2017 10:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Jorgan wrote:
I've never experienced a bad start in an Ironman/Challenge event, whether that's AG waves or a mass start. Yet to do a rolling start. Sounds like they need to widen out the start area in Lanza. I thought all WTC events were wave or rolling starts now?

So did I, I asked the question prior to the race and was told this race will always be a mass start....

I too counted at least 6 awa swim hats laying on the sea bed......brutal is one thing, dangerous is another.
stanley

PostPosted: Tue May 23, 2017 4:34 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

midsfella wrote:
Jorgan wrote:

So did I, I asked the question prior to the race and was told this race will always be a mass start....

I too counted at least 6 awa swim hats laying on the sea bed......brutal is one thing, dangerous is another.

Yes but don't the AWA get to start near the front regardless of their speed?seem to think this caused some concern in 2016.
Jorgan

PostPosted: Tue May 23, 2017 8:38 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I wouldn't worry about swimhats on the seabed, I routinely lose mine, a combination of baldly head, suncream and perspiration. But mainly baldy head judging by recent training swims, where they last 600m Rolling Eyes I think it's warm enough to ditch them for training now.
Jorgan

PostPosted: Tue May 23, 2017 8:45 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

SGreg wrote:
dss123 wrote:

Same at Ironman Copenhagen (which was challenge) and It was such a sedate swim, bordering on boring.

My first ever WTC event was St Polten which was/is AG ; seems like a good solution to me. You can compete against your AG, but smaller starts. In-water start definitely safer too; generally too many a*holes at WTC events to make beach starts pleasant (although to date I personally haven't had an issue).

Am I the only that thinks the Ironman brand events attract a disproportionately high number of Type A twits?
SidSnot

PostPosted: Tue May 23, 2017 9:50 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Jorgan wrote:
SGreg wrote:
dss123 wrote:

My first ever WTC event was St Polten which was/is AG ; seems like a good solution to me. You can compete against your AG, but smaller starts. In-water start definitely safer too; generally too many a*holes at WTC events to make beach starts pleasant (although to date I personally haven't had an issue).

Am I the only that thinks the Ironman brand events attract a disproportionately high number of Type A twits?

Nope
athlete_builder

PostPosted: Wed May 24, 2017 11:36 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Any feedback on the new run course? Watched the 2017 video and see the run went right around to Arrecife.
Simon G.

PostPosted: Wed May 24, 2017 4:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

athlete_builder wrote:
Any feedback on the new run course? Watched the 2017 video and see the run went right around to Arrecife.

I really liked the new run course...Arrecife was pleasant to run through - some nice tall buildings providing a bit of shade at times, a pleasant mixture of changing "scenery" to look at and twisty and turny enough not to get soul destroying. Also enjoyed the limited crowd support - before being back in frenetic Puerta Del Carmen Very Happy Also, when you did get back to the finish turn around, you collected your wristband with just 12k to go. Thought it was phsycologically better Smile
Simon G.

PostPosted: Wed May 24, 2017 4:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

P.S. Full report to follow when I have time in the next few days Smile
mash180

PostPosted: Wed May 24, 2017 8:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

This was IM Lanza's 26th year so you have had 25 previous years of people saying - brutal swim, hard bike , hot and windy run so I genuinely don't know why people go and do this race and then complain about the conditions - if you want an easy race do the Outlaw !
Post new topic   Reply to topic    TriTalk.co.uk Forum Index -> Events All times are GMT
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10  Next
Page 9 of 10

Jump to: