Tri Talk HomepageTri Talk EventsTri Talk ForumsBlogsTri Talk TrainingTri TradeTriPlayerWikiTeam Tri Talk
Ironman Lanzarote 2017
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10

View previous topic :: View next topic  
SidSnot

PostPosted: Thu May 25, 2017 7:40 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

mash180 wrote:
This was IM Lanza's 26th year so you have had 25 previous years of people saying - brutal swim, hard bike , hot and windy run so I genuinely don't know why people go and do this race and then complain about the conditions - if you want an easy race do the Outlaw !

this
Davem

PostPosted: Thu May 25, 2017 11:45 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

SidSnot wrote:
mash180 wrote:
This was IM Lanza's 26th year so you have had 25 previous years of people saying - brutal swim, hard bike , hot and windy run so I genuinely don't know why people go and do this race and then complain about the conditions - if you want an easy race do the Outlaw !

this

+2
earthling

PostPosted: Thu May 25, 2017 8:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Davem wrote:
SidSnot wrote:
mash180 wrote:

this

+2

+3 Laughing
FatPom

PostPosted: Fri May 26, 2017 6:47 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

mash180 wrote:

Some of us did Outlaw before it was Euro trash style draftfest Wink
Jorgan

PostPosted: Fri May 26, 2017 8:57 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

FatPom wrote:
mash180 wrote:

But you didn't do it in '13 when it was hotter than the sun*

*citation needed
FatPom

PostPosted: Fri May 26, 2017 10:35 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Jorgan wrote:
FatPom wrote:
mash180 wrote:

But you didn't do it in '13 when it was hotter than the sun*

*citation needed

I did it in 2010. Unless you mean '13 as in 13hrs, in which case, in my my mind I turned in a sub 11hr race in 40C heat with a barefoot run.

In reality it was about 29C and I death shuffled my way to a lowly 13.25 Embarassed Very Happy
Andy G

PostPosted: Fri May 26, 2017 7:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Very enjoyable 5th IM Lanza finish for me. (Didn't go to the awards ceremony, any idea how I get the special 5 year medal? I may have to email Kenneth.

The usual biff on the swim. Had no power on the bike (plus bad nutritional choices, lingering cold, etc, etc). Run/walked it in for a long day but as I say, very enjoyable.

Still got unfinished business with this race, not sure if that will be next year or not.

Andy G
Whisk

PostPosted: Tue May 30, 2017 9:39 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Andy G wrote:
Very enjoyable 5th IM Lanza finish for me. (Didn't go to the awards ceremony, any idea how I get the special 5 year medal? I may have to email Kenneth.

When I did my 5th back in 2015 I e-mailed the info address before the event to let them know that I was due the special medal that year, but I don't think I needed to bother.

We were staying at CLS, so while we didn't bother with the dinner, we turned up in time for the awards and the race video. The "special achievement" bit was pretty informal, with them just calling anyone who was due a medal to come up to the stage. We got our medals, they played the A-Team music and everyone clapped lots Cool I'm sure that everyone was genuinely on their 5th finish, but there were no checks and they had a load of spare medals at the end. The medals are different every year, so if you contact them I'm sure they'd be only too happy to send you one.
Whisk

PostPosted: Tue May 30, 2017 9:57 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Re the swim start, I wasn't there this year or last year, but the swim course and infrastructure were exactly the same for my 1st Lanza in 2008 with <1000 athletes as they were for my 5th time in 2015 with ~2000 athletes.

As long as you are prepared to swim reasonably wide, I think there is plenty of room in the water. If you want to swim along the rope then it's going to get very congested.

The main problem for me is the narrowness of the start pen. In 2014 I was relatively late arriving in the pen (maybe 10 minutes before start time?) and even though I'm a 60 minute swimmer, I couldn't get any further forward in the pen than the +75min banner. From there, it took a good few minutes from the hooter to actually reach the water and when I did get there I had to swim through a seething mass of bodies. People seemed quite frantic to get going and there was a lot of biff. There were clearly a lot of decent swimmers who were penned in towards the back and were fighting their way through the crowds.

In 2015 I got there in plenty of time and positioned myself on the right in the sub-60 section and I stayed wide when I hit the water and had a trouble-free swim.

A mass beach start is a great spectacle, so I can't see the Lanza organisers changing to a wave start. It would be nice if they could widen the start pens
Simon G.

PostPosted: Sat Jun 03, 2017 5:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Race report...(slightly altered from one I've done for my running club).

Ironman Lanzarote III (Or… “2 Out Of 3 Ain’t Bad”)...

Well, after last year’s DNF, I had to come back to (hopefully) erase the memory…
Last year, I got sun stroke and sickness and was unable to finish the run. Because…
- I only arrived 36 hours before the race (not enough acclimatisation time/sleep) and it was just too stressful. I think, having completed it the year before, I had been over confident.
- I wore a sleeveless trisuit exposing my neck and shoulders.
- I unknowingly used well out of date sun cream (found out when looking at the packaging later).
All of the above problems could be easily solved for this year...
However, training this time was interrupted more by illness and injury. In particular, 4 weeks before the event I hurt both calf muscles when continuing to run whilst experiencing pain in the Ribby Hall Triathlon. My right calf swelled up quite bad…Well, the swim and bike parts had gone very well and I was on for a PB for that course. The next day I couldn’t believe my stupidity! I should have stopped and thought of the bigger picture. I guess we all make those sorts of mistakes.
Luckily, after a week or so, both swimming and cycling could be done carefully – but there was to be absolutely no running until the day itself.
Time ticked by…I arrived in Lanzarote 7 days before the race. My workplace had kindly allowed me to swap quite a few days and I had “promised” everyone it would DEFINITELY be my last time.
I was a stone lighter than at Xmas and my right calf injury could no longer be felt when walking about. I began to feel tentatively hopeful. There is a buzz around Puerta Del Carmen at Ironman time and as a competitor you can easily begin to feel “superhuman”. Ha! My goal this year was simply to get a Finishers Medal. That was far above anything else – although of course I would be trying my absolute best on the day. If I can’t run, I’ll just have to walk around the marathon, I told myself. Hopefully it wouldn’t come to that. In the days that followed, I tried to keep a lid on my emotions.
Unfortunately, 3 days before the race I walked into the edge of the bath in the night - and hit my left shin EXACTLY where there is a stress fracture weakness from 10 years ago. It hurt and I almost cried - not so much because of the pain but because of the unbelievable bad luck with the timing of this accident. As I dreaded, the next morning (despite copious amounts of ice), there was clear bruising, swelling and pain. I even wondered if I had refractured the leg. I daren’t visit a Spanish doctor in case they tried to put my leg in plaster. Luckily, I had registered earlier that day so could just lie around the apartment resting my iced up leg. And for the next day too (even walking to the pool area hurt) - desperately willing it to get better. I WILL walk the marathon to get my medal, if need be, I told myself. I can’t go home with nothing like last year.
Anyway, all too quickly, the day before the race came…Time to hobble down to transition to rack the bike etc. Both legs were now injured but they didn’t feel too bad when walking slowly. I went to rack the bike early – so I wouldn’t have to stand around too long in queues and so I could get back to my apartment quickly to rest and cook my last supper etc. I also didn’t feel like speculating with others about what tomorrow might bring. Soon, it was time to set the alarm.

Race Day

There is something so intense and committing about waking up on Ironman morning…5 am.
I had no problems with pre-race preparation and then suddenly it was the final countdown. The gun went off and we entered the sea. I had enjoyed the last 2 year’s swims but this time was different. I think I’d positioned myself too near the front because within the first 200m, I got punched in the nose, had my goggles knocked off, got kicked a few times, swum over and drank too much sea water. Just stay calm, I told myself…Luckily, I’m okay about swimming in open water. The sea was certainly a lot warmer than Pennington Flash (near Wigan), where I train, and the waves weren’t big. The rest of the first lap passed and the second was easier. I had used more energy than intended because of the aggression - but was glad to have survived the swim. 1:17:07. Pleased with that. T1 was fine.

Onto the bike…I jogged very tentatively through transition. My calves slightly cramped but I told myself it was due to the long sea swim. The crowds were cheering and I felt good. Soon I was out on the bike with a good start to the race…
Once you leave Puerta Del Carmen, it suddenly becomes lonely. Every man/woman for himself. It’s a long, hilly, hot and especially, windy bike course – but the village supporters in Lanzarote and the awesomeness of the event and the scenery keep you going.
The course winds itself around most of the island and has a bit of everything. Long, slow climbs and descents, short and steep ones. Fast, flat sections. Excellent road surfaces/rough, bumpy ones. The wind is sometimes very helpful but usually not. The Lanzarote cross winds were bad at some points this time, noticeably descending from Mirador Del Rio towards Arrieta, but not horrendous this year. Barring a mechanical I knew I would finish. I came back into Puerta Del Carmen feeling good – but understanding that the race for me now really begins…

Bike time 8:09:30. My slowest ever in Lanzarote - which was a little disappointing. It had felt better to me. However, the bike route is so epic that it’s hard for a cyclist of my ability to feel too bad about simply finishing it. T2 was fine.

Last year, I started the run and felt dreadfully ill from the start. This year I didn’t! I was just tired. I could have jumped for joy! My right calf cramped up in the first km and the left at about the 4k mark… but it just slowed me down, not stop me. I kept up my slow jog strategy for 20k or so, eating and drinking only the minimum I felt I needed…I became more confident, pushing the pace, and then felt sick at about 22k…Whoa! Remember, you must finish!! So, I walked for a couple of kilometres and began to feel better. The rest of the marathon passed and soon it was the final turn around! My pacing had been slow but consistent. One last effort to the finish line!
Run 5:41:42. My slowest marathon ever but I didn’t care.
I ran through the crowds and collected my medal - where I felt strangely unemotional. I had even forgot to look up with happiness when I crossed the line! I had spent so long controlling myself I was not yet ready to let go…that came a week or so later. It had been (by over an hour) my slowest Ironman time ever – but I am older now and I am delighted to have achieved it again. This may be the last one. Who knows? Certainly not me at the moment! Always tempted by Lanzarote because the course is so "interesting"!

This time in Lanzarote, I got what I came for.
15 hours 25 mins 58 seconds. 1191 out of 1606 names on the start list. 1339 finishers.
mossym

PostPosted: Wed Jun 07, 2017 10:54 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

we must have been close coming out of the water so, i was 1:17 as well.

thanks to all that provided advice before the race, car hire was painless, pity the race wasn't the same. Can put up the long race report if there is any interest, but a 1:17 swim, 6:29 bike and a 4:05 marathon that had far too much walking for my liking got me through my first IM Lanza in 12:05. vowed at the finish i'd not do that race again, 30 mins later that was gone out the window and i'd do it again in a heartbeat.

definitely have unfinished business with that race, bike was disappointing, back issues flared up and i had to get off 3 or 4 times in the last third to stretch my back, and run was slower than expected too. but it was a lot tougher than i imagined as well so was more than happy to come over the line
SGreg

PostPosted: Wed Jun 07, 2017 12:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

mossym wrote:
Can put up the long race report if there is any interest,

I always enjoy reading a Lanza race Report...especially is the protagonist has suffered Laughing
Ozzie1973

PostPosted: Wed Jun 07, 2017 2:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

SGreg wrote:
mossym wrote:
Can put up the long race report if there is any interest,

I always enjoy reading a Lanza race Report...especially is the protagonist has suffered Laughing

... this insinuates it is possible to do Lanza without suffering - surely this is a statement of sheer folly?
Ironman Wales - 2013
Gower Triathlon - 2014
Blenheim Triathlon 2015
Ironman Lanzarote - 2015
mossym

PostPosted: Wed Jun 07, 2017 3:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

SGreg wrote:

well you asked. this is taken from another forum where i log frequently, where there is a bit more non race day stuff so some references may not make sense but do there, i;ve tried to clean it up so it stands alone as much as i could. when you see how long this is , be glad you're not reading the whole thing!!there are a few references to copenhagen which was the other IM i did last year, hence the comparisons. time was 10:40 in CPH for reference. the other thing that the extended version is back issues i've had for the past year, which come and go, are bike related, but not due to the tri bike or being aero as they hit on the road bike as well, but they are fine as soon as i get off the bike and start running. i thought it was a CPH only problem but it flared up over the last few weeks of training for Lanza and while i hoped it wouldn't affect race day you'll see that it did in a pretty significant way

The report

Arrived Monday before the race.The week build up was incredible. I’ve never had the pull to Kona some have, probably cause I know it’s highly unlikely I’d ever get there, and if I was to try I’d give up too much time I’d rather spend with my kids. I’ve a certain amount of greed when it comes to training, but there’s a cap on it, and kona would be too much. However, the week in Lanza gave a small taste of what it must be like. Triathletes everywhere, swapping stories and advice, you couldn’t walk 5 feet without meeting another. Much more of a buzz than Copenhagen in the days before. Got registered on the Wednesday, drove the bike course, and realised what was ahead.
Family arrived Thursday, while waiting for them I was standing outside the apartment and met last years winner Jesse Thomas .sound guy, turns out he was staying right next door to me!! Spoke to him loads, both pre and post race, and it was so reassuring to see the same doubts, issues, and opinions I’d have expected from any Ager. . .

Friday I racked my bike, dropped off my gear. I felt good. Ready to go. The awful wind we had Thursday had dropped off, the temperature had gone up, but I was less worried by heat than wind. Ironic that was.

Out for dinner with the family Friday night, ate light, had my bigger meal at lunch, and was home in bed by 10.

Race Day:
4am alarm. Honestly cannot remember what I ate, I know it was similar to Copenhagen and had rice cakes/peanut butter/honey as part which worked well then. Down to the race start, my wife got a picture of me from behind walking down the steps in the darkness, I love the pic, echoed the mood completely. Pumped the tires, stored the nutrition, and just chilled. As race start approached, threw on the wetsuit and headed for the beach. Found the 1:10 and 1:20 swim signs and took up station right between them. The course is a loop to the left, out 100m or so, then hard left. Had been warned the first turn was a battlezone, but going too wide you added a lot. So I went to the right of the start area, but not all the way. The big countdown then. As we got close, there were announcements in 4 or 5 different languages, except all of them gave the phrase worlds hardest ironmans in English. Talk about making you nervous

CPH had been the new staggered start, this was old school. At 7.01 the gun went, and we charged forward. Into the water, pulling hard, getting banged but nothing too bad. Next thing it all stopped. Looked up, clear water in front of me, to the left there was carnage with the guys on the fastest line, out to the right of me those that had gone wide to avoid it had grouped up so bad it looked worse. But right up the middle there was a clear channel, I had 20 feet of open water in front of me, so I took full advantage, and got around the first turn relatively calm. It got worse on the pull to the next buoy, but it was quick, seemed to have a current pushing us down, then we turned 90deg left and I knew there was a current, as we were getting pushed way down from the next buoy, but it was a short run and we got there. At that point I picked up the best draft I have ever had in a tri, got on a hip and followed it all the way back into the swim start. Pace was perfect, if I slacked off I was losing the hip, so I stayed there the whole way in. second loop was more of the same, I thought there would be less bashing as the field was strung out, but it was pretty similar. Finally I was taking the last left and feet were under me, and up the beach we went.

Swim: 1:17, need to check but pretty sure that’s almost exactly what CPH was.

Grabbed my bike bag, into the change tent on the beach, which had the sand for a floor. Not so great, by the time you were changed you were just covered in sand again, well that and the sun screen the volunteers graciously lathered all over us. Didn’t waste a lot of time and was out and onto the bike pretty quickly.

500m on the bike and I was pulling over, couldn’t see a thing with suncream on my glasses. Got it cleared and took off. Passing almost straight away, glad to be onto the bike. Plan was to hold 210w on the flat, 280w on the big climbs, and recover but not take it easy down the hills . I thought I was doing pretty well out over the first few climbs, was passing loads, and as we headed out the long straight road towards yaiza I was motoring, holding over 50km/hr and absolutely motoring past people for a lot less watts than that.
And that became the problem. Even though I felt like I was hitting the numbers I was supposed to be whenever I checked, my average power was nowhere near where it was supposed to be. No-one was passing me, I was continusouly passing others but my average power, which I expected to be well over 200 at this point, closer to 220, was only 190w. I hoped I’d build into in.

Fairly soon we were past la santa, and took the right turn inland, where it felt like the temperature went up 10C in the space of a hundred yards. It was just dead heat, and made the going tough. Finally we hit the first really big climb up mirador del haria. Hit my numbers easily, 280w all the way up, what the hell was going on elsewhere. Was flying past guys, I’m sure they were laughing thinking I was overcooking it, but for the first time I think I was doing what I had trained to do.
Over the top, and down the tight hairpins. Every turn was hard on the brakes, which felt so bad to be losing the speed given how hard the altitude was gained. Down into haria, and headed for mirador del rio
At this point my power numbers became secondary. I had bigger issues. My back tightened up completely, and I was hurting pretty badly. It wasn’t too bad climbing, so again I climbed well up mirador del rio which is nothing really after the previous climb, and flew down the descent, past two guys unconscious on the side of the road, their blood pooling across the asphalt, where they had taken the turns too hot and smashed badly.
Now we were down on the flat, and from all previous reports should have had a strong tailwind driving us home. I;ve cycled the road in the other direction many times, and always had a head wind, so I believed it. Except today. It wasn’t hugely strong, but it was definitely a head wind. F^%K.
I was still feeling strong, and it wouldn’t have bothered me, except my back was killing me at this point. From here back to the end of the bike, 50/60km or so, I had to get off the bike several times just to stretch my back so I could get aero for a few minutes, and by the end just keep going. So frustrating, knowing I could have pushed harder but wasn’t able to.

Finally though we were barrelling down into Puerto del carmen, 70km/hr + down the hills into the town and hopping off the bike. As I knew it would, once I was off the bike my back was fine, not a peep out of it. So I wasn’t worried about it for the run.
Bike: 6:29
As I hopped off the bike my family was right there, hearing the two girls roaring encouragement was a big boost, and I flew into the change tent. Runners on, hat on, kept the shades on, and out I went.

First 100m I was eager to see how the legs were. Not bad, not as good as they had felt in CPH, but I’d been 75 minutes longer on the bike over tougher terrain. So I was somewhat encouraged, but to make my wife feel good as I ran past them I pointed up the road and roared at her that I was just going to go for a little run. In my head I knew things weren’t that jovial, but I knew it would help her.

The biggest worry at this point was the heat. It was oppressive, overall I was there for 2 weeks, this was the hottest day we had. It was well into the thirties, and with a light wind from the wrong direction it wasn’t getting any cooling help. So the aid stations became critical, water, ice whatever they had to cool down, getting cool was more important than getting through them fast. The run was two loops, one of just over 30km, then a shorter one of 12.

The first 5km were fine, roads I knew well. Then we passed the airport and some of the stretches over the next 10km were hell, long quiet stretches, no crowds, no sound, sun bouncing off the concrete ground and walls, felt like a furnace. Finally got to arrecife and turned around heading back to the start. The walk periods through the aid stations were getting longer, but I always got running again, and when I was running I was moving okay, was passing others without getting passed by many. But I knew I was really starting to struggle.

Finally got back the start, collected my band, and headed out on the second loop. Stopped to give the girls a quick kiss, my smallest one telling me “daddy’s running!!!”, I just hoped she’d continue to be right. I knew it was getting very tough with a third of a marathon still to go, but the old adage I’d read on here so many time of just keep moving was firmly in my mind. I started giving myself walk breaks on the hills, even though they were minor, but I always picked a spot and said you will be running by there, and I always was.

Finally made the final turnaround. 6km to go. Walk breaks becoming more frequent, but always managing to get going again. Finally, with 3km to go, I said no more, we go from here, and didn’t even stop at the last aid station as I trotted back in. that finishing line was the sweetest sight, heard my name and Ireland being called as I got the chute, got to raise the finishing ribbon as they let everyone do it, and was done.
Run: 4:05
12:05 overall. To be honest, if you had asked me on the marathon I would have had no idea what my time was, it was simply a case of keeping going. I had no idea what time I had done, I just knew how many km I had left. And it might sound strange but I didn’t really care. From very early in this race it had turned into a personal battle, me against the day rather than the clock. As soon as I couldn’t hit my numbers on the bike the time became irrelevant.

I was so empty I almost missed my medal, they had to pull me back to put it on me. Out, met the family, felt a lot better to see the smile on my two girls faces. Very proud of their daddy. Treated myself to a big bowl of paella, a massive icecream, and a cold beer at the finishers tents, grabbed my bike and took them the 200m to the apartment, a big benefit of staying close to race start. Out for dinner that night with the folks, a well-earned steak and a nice bottle of red, where the pride at having battled through it hit home

So thoughts on lanza? It’s a brutal race, well deserving of its reputation. That said, I know I could take a chunk off that time on a better day. I’m not sure it’s the type of course to go chasing times on, it’s a battle, and I think that’s what it’s more about, forget the time till the end, go, go hard, see how you manage, then take the time at the end. Will I do it again? For sure. Not for a while though

https://i261.photobucket.com/albums/ii43/mossym/173_m-100762996-DIGITAL_HIGHRES-1746_044135-7751673_zps3140zd6n.jpg
midsfella

PostPosted: Sun Jun 25, 2017 8:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well said mossym, a great account of this iconic race.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    TriTalk.co.uk Forum Index -> Events All times are GMT
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10
Page 10 of 10

Jump to: