Tri Talk HomepageTri Talk EventsTri Talk ForumsBlogsTri Talk TrainingTri TradeTriPlayerWikiTeam Tri Talk
Ironman UK Bolton 2017
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 15, 16, 17, 18  Next
 
Post new topic   Reply to topic    TriTalk.co.uk Forum Index -> Events
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Author Message
MTriton




Joined: 16 Feb 2005
Posts: 805
Location: N Surrey

PostPosted: Wed Jul 19, 2017 10:24 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Toyota_Crown wrote:
OK I'll let YOU (and only you Exclamation) off from not walking any of the steep hills of that run, given only you can get away with breaking all the power-walk rules at EnduroMan Avon Tyrrell (AT). Despite missing your target Razz by 54 seconds, wow, fair play m8. really chuffed for you Thumbs Up Did you not take your KQ slot tho?

No. Doesn't fit my plans for this year. There were 4 slots and one of the guys who finished in front of me, I understand, had already qualified elsewhere. Thus it was there for the taking. Never mind. Kona is not going anywhere so I'll just have to qualify again some other time......
_________________
2017 - IMUK (10.00; 33rd)
2016 - Comrades (7.22, silver medal)
2015 - AT 5x1 Quin (63.20; 1st)
2014 - AT50 (6.46; 1st), Forestman (10.05; 2nd), Anglian (10.44; 2nd), Owler (11.31; 7th), Slovenia Double IM - WC (20.47, 1st)
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Tin Pot




Joined: 08 Jul 2013
Posts: 2219
Location: Bromley

PostPosted: Wed Jul 19, 2017 1:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Great attitude!

I watched the KQ allocations and there was much jubilation for the people that got roll down slots.

The lady I'd met at the start line got one so she's at Chatanooga and Kona this year.

One group rolled down to 10th place, I think it was a Frenchman whooping with joy Smile
_________________
Iron '16 14h30
Half Iron '17 7h39!, 6h28 '16 5h53
Olympic '16 3h18 '15 3h33, '13 3h36
Sprint '16 1h17, '14 1h40, '13 2h01
Half Mara '16 2h04, '14 2h07
10 Mile TT '16 00:26:30
Trail 10K '16 54:01 '13 54:46
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
JeffB




Joined: 04 May 2008
Posts: 1014
Location: Middlesbrough

PostPosted: Wed Jul 19, 2017 5:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well done to everyone that finished, sorry to hear some didn't go as planned but I've had two bad days on that course myself, it is a tough day out!

There was some fast times, my mate did a 5:19 bike, finished in 10:01 and was only 10th in his A\G!

I think it is a bit of an underrated event, I know Bolton isn't everyone's first choice event but the support on the run was excellent, and I suspect on the bike as well on the climbs.

Shame the bags and finishers T-Shirt are going downhill and are just about the same at every event.

Has anyone seen the roll-down list? I know in the M45 category Duncan got last slot, I think Marc Laithwaite has turned his down a few times now.

Jeff
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
JeffB




Joined: 04 May 2008
Posts: 1014
Location: Middlesbrough

PostPosted: Wed Jul 19, 2017 5:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Will Clarke was also in the sin bin for 5 minutes at T2, possible drafting? but as he was second at that point there can't have been many people to draft off.

Jeff
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
MTriton




Joined: 16 Feb 2005
Posts: 805
Location: N Surrey

PostPosted: Wed Jul 19, 2017 5:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

JeffB wrote:
There was some fast times, my mate did a 5:19 bike, finished in 10:01 and was only 10th in his A\G!
Sounds like he may have biked too hard to end up with 10.01.

JeffB wrote:
Has anyone seen the roll-down list? I know in the M45 category Duncan got last slot, I think Marc Laithwaite has turned his down a few times now.
There is no published list. But I know that in male 35-39 (my age group) the 4th slot rolled down to 6th place.
_________________
2017 - IMUK (10.00; 33rd)
2016 - Comrades (7.22, silver medal)
2015 - AT 5x1 Quin (63.20; 1st)
2014 - AT50 (6.46; 1st), Forestman (10.05; 2nd), Anglian (10.44; 2nd), Owler (11.31; 7th), Slovenia Double IM - WC (20.47, 1st)
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
JeffB




Joined: 04 May 2008
Posts: 1014
Location: Middlesbrough

PostPosted: Wed Jul 19, 2017 7:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

[quote="MTriton"]
JeffB wrote:
There was some fast times, my mate did a 5:19 bike, finished in 10:01 and was only 10th in his A\G!
Sounds like he may have biked too hard to end up with 10.01.

He's a really strong cyclist but it is a possibility, haven't spoken to him yet, although I think his run was fairly steadily paced apart from one split which might have included a toilet break or something as he got going again afterwards.

Jeff
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Ex-Squaddie59




Joined: 21 Sep 2014
Posts: 24
Location: Hereford

PostPosted: Thu Jul 20, 2017 6:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well done to everyone on Sunday. Its was my first outing to Bolton and I was worried about the weather. Saturday was grim and I could feel my enthusiasm ebbing away.

I stayed in the Premier Inn and must admit I didn't hear a thing, but I was in bed at 2000Hrs and woke at 0220Hrs with someone closing doors. Good nights sleep for once..!! 😁

Overall I finished in 11Hrs 17mins and was 34th in AG 40-44. The bike for me was hard, I was using a disc and found that when going up Sheep House Lane and Hunters the bottom of my rear derailer was rubbing the disc. Not impressed so had to go up in 25 and not the nice 28. The head wind after Sheep House Lane once you turned left at the bottom wasn't nice.

The run was good 3Hrs 48, but I do walk through every feed station and drink.

Rest, Relaxation for this week then starting gentle and building up ready for IM Wales 🙃.

Some serious fast people out there and well done to each and everyone of you that finished irregardless of time its still a sense of achievement 👍👍
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
JeffB




Joined: 04 May 2008
Posts: 1014
Location: Middlesbrough

PostPosted: Tue Jul 25, 2017 5:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I see they have just renewed the partnership with Bolton for another 5 years, so bang goes the move to Blackpool!

Jeff
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Daniel1981




Joined: 27 Jul 2017
Posts: 4

PostPosted: Thu Jul 27, 2017 12:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

MTriton wrote:
Nevertheless, pleased enough with a 5:35:46.

That was from 208w average (222w NP).


MTriton, firstly congrats on a good race. Think you must have passed me on either the bike or run (I finished in 10.08 )

I have to ask how you go so fast on that wattage? 208/80 = 2.6w/kg

I rode 234/77.5 = 3.0 w/kg BUT I only rode a 5.40...... a full 5 mins slower........... Admittedly I had a small mechanical but it only cost 1m30s (moving time on Garmin is 5.38 )

Do you think my powermeter (P2Max type S) reads high or do my bathroom scales read low?!?! I'm wondering if I am an aero brick but my position looks ok in pictures.

I'd like to get back into KQ shape by next year and I am working on getting to 3.3W/kg however am I missing some free speed here?
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Tin Pot




Joined: 08 Jul 2013
Posts: 2219
Location: Bromley

PostPosted: Thu Jul 27, 2017 1:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

With the best power meters only having an accuracy of +\-5%, comparing two different power meters could easily account for more than that difference. E.g. His reading 5% to high and your 5% too low, could account for 20-25W. And that's with the best available.
_________________
Iron '16 14h30
Half Iron '17 7h39!, 6h28 '16 5h53
Olympic '16 3h18 '15 3h33, '13 3h36
Sprint '16 1h17, '14 1h40, '13 2h01
Half Mara '16 2h04, '14 2h07
10 Mile TT '16 00:26:30
Trail 10K '16 54:01 '13 54:46
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
stenard




Joined: 04 Sep 2013
Posts: 1280

PostPosted: Thu Jul 27, 2017 1:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Tin Pot wrote:
With the best power meters only having an accuracy of +\-5%, comparing two different power meters could easily account for more than that difference. E.g. His reading 5% to high and your 5% too low, could account for 20-25W. And that's with the best available.

Not sure where you get +/- 5% from. Basically every mainstream PM is +/- 2% at worst.



The only psuedo-power meter I know of claiming +/- 5% was the Tacx Flux turbo, and that was a compromise in accuracy to sell a direct drive turbo at a lower price. It's already been outdone by the Elite Direto which is the same price, direct drive and +/- 2.5%.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
PCP




Joined: 13 Oct 2012
Posts: 1614
Location: Manchester

PostPosted: Thu Jul 27, 2017 6:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

stenard wrote:
Tin Pot wrote:
With the best power meters only having an accuracy of +\-5%, comparing two different power meters could easily account for more than that difference. E.g. His reading 5% to high and your 5% too low, could account for 20-25W. And that's with the best available.

Not sure where you get +/- 5% from. Basically every mainstream PM is +/- 2% at worst.



The only psuedo-power meter I know of claiming +/- 5% was the Tacx Flux turbo, and that was a compromise in accuracy to sell a direct drive turbo at a lower price. It's already been outdone by the Elite Direto which is the same price, direct drive and +/- 2.5%.


Yep, plus I'm pretty sure that someone riding 5:40 at IMUK and producing 3w/kg knows there is some slight discrepancy.

Daniel - You can lose a hell of a lot of time on that course with the cornering and descending. I passed around 20 people over both descents of Belmont and there were a lot of people sitting up on 'manned' turns that were easy to stay down and power round. Loads of time to be gained there too.

Maybe you were too cautious or didn't know the route well enough to take risks?

2.6w/kg does seem ridiculous for that time, I would put that power to weight closer to 6 hours.
Maybe Martin is just super aero though, he is a world double ironman champion afterall Laughing
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Daniel1981




Joined: 27 Jul 2017
Posts: 4

PostPosted: Fri Jul 28, 2017 8:45 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

PCP wrote:


Yep, plus I'm pretty sure that someone riding 5:40 at IMUK and producing 3w/kg knows there is some slight discrepancy.

Daniel - You can lose a hell of a lot of time on that course with the cornering and descending. I passed around 20 people over both descents of Belmont and there were a lot of people sitting up on 'manned' turns that were easy to stay down and power round. Loads of time to be gained there too.

Maybe you were too cautious or didn't know the route well enough to take risks?

2.6w/kg does seem ridiculous for that time, I would put that power to weight closer to 6 hours.
Maybe Martin is just super aero though, he is a world double ironman champion afterall Laughing


I wish I had that excuse but I live 3 miles from the course and I ride it all the time!

My cornering is fairly average but it doesn't lose me too much time, I rode the first 40 miles with a decent (legal separation) pack of age groupers and my cornering was on par with the others in the pack. Some of those riders went on to ride 5.20 or faster so as long as I can handle as well as them then I can't use that as an excuse either!
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
PCP




Joined: 13 Oct 2012
Posts: 1614
Location: Manchester

PostPosted: Fri Jul 28, 2017 10:27 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Daniel1981 wrote:
PCP wrote:


Yep, plus I'm pretty sure that someone riding 5:40 at IMUK and producing 3w/kg knows there is some slight discrepancy.

Daniel - You can lose a hell of a lot of time on that course with the cornering and descending. I passed around 20 people over both descents of Belmont and there were a lot of people sitting up on 'manned' turns that were easy to stay down and power round. Loads of time to be gained there too.

Maybe you were too cautious or didn't know the route well enough to take risks?

2.6w/kg does seem ridiculous for that time, I would put that power to weight closer to 6 hours.
Maybe Martin is just super aero though, he is a world double ironman champion afterall Laughing


I wish I had that excuse but I live 3 miles from the course and I ride it all the time!

My cornering is fairly average but it doesn't lose me too much time, I rode the first 40 miles with a decent (legal separation) pack of age groupers and my cornering was on par with the others in the pack. Some of those riders went on to ride 5.20 or faster so as long as I can handle as well as them then I can't use that as an excuse either!


I've no idea then Confused Laughing

I do know that I'd kill for a 5:40 split though.
My aim for 2018 is get my FTP to 310 (280 now), weight down to 78kg (82 now) and that should give me the 3w/kg to get close to 5:40
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Daniel1981




Joined: 27 Jul 2017
Posts: 4

PostPosted: Fri Jul 28, 2017 12:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

PCP wrote:

I've no idea then Confused Laughing

I do know that I'd kill for a 5:40 split though.
My aim for 2018 is get my FTP to 310 (280 now), weight down to 78kg (82 now) and that should give me the 3w/kg to get close to 5:40


What did you ride this year? I think 3w/kg will get you at 5.40, don't forget I had 1m30s of stationary time due to mechanicals included in my 5.40. Easy to say but just don't get mechanicals.

I think my kit is fairly top notch though (2012 Plasma premium + 808 front/sub 9 rear). This is my issue I'm struggling to see where I can get any free time!
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Display posts from previous:   
Post new topic   Reply to topic    TriTalk.co.uk Forum Index -> Events All times are GMT
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 15, 16, 17, 18  Next
Page 16 of 18
  Share
 
Jump to:  
You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You cannot vote in polls in this forum





Home | About TT | Privacy Policy | Terms and Conditions | Advertising | Contact TT
Copyright ©2003-2015 TriTalk®.co.uk. All rights reserved.