Tri Talk HomepageTri Talk EventsTri Talk ForumsBlogsTri Talk TrainingTri TradeTriPlayerWikiTeam Tri Talk
Ironman UK Bolton 2017
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Tin Pot

PostPosted: Mon Apr 03, 2017 2:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Tin Pot wrote:
I didn't have any problem with 80s last year, will use again with 35 as an alternative in the front if windy.

50/34 and 12-30
Sprint '16 1h17, '14 1h40, '13 2h01
Half Mara '16 2h04, '14 2h07
10 Mile TT '16 00:26:30
Trail 10K '16 54:01 '13 54:46
sc578

PostPosted: Fri Apr 07, 2017 1:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

For people who have been there and done it, recently:

Can you depend on the on course bike nutrition?

Are the bottles full? Are they made up at the correct concentration? Are there enough for MOP/BOP competitors?

Thanks!
PCP

PostPosted: Fri Apr 07, 2017 2:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

scj1979 wrote:
For people who have been there and done it, recently:

Can you depend on the on course bike nutrition?

Are the bottles full? Are they made up at the correct concentration? Are there enough for MOP/BOP competitors?

Thanks!

You can't guarantee they are full or the concentration at any race. I've never known them run out and I've been MOP, never even heard of them running out in UK
Horwich tri - 2:11:12 (57/393)
Monster Mojo Middle - 4:44:50 (29th)
50TT
UK Ultimate 1/2
100TT
IMUK
JeffB

PostPosted: Fri Apr 07, 2017 3:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Assuming I do it, I'll probably have 404/808 on the front depending on the wind and a disc on the back. But, if training hasn't gone well I might use my road bike to look less of a twat!

I'd be surprised if they run out of bottles on the bike, but I wouldn't guarantee the concentration or how full they are. They are generally nearly full though when I've done any IM branded race including Bolton *2.

Planning on entering this weekend.

Jeff
TRO Saracen

PostPosted: Fri Apr 07, 2017 4:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

For all IM's I decant enough gels into a bottle for my fluid calorie needs then top up with water.

Other calories are bars which are in a bento box.

Start with one full water bottle then I just need to pick up replacement water at feed stations - with UK being a relatively cold race this is usually every other feed station.

This worked well, except for the time I picked up sports drink bottle instead of water, but it was so weak I got away with it.

Rule of IM is the more you can control and be certain of, the better.

Oi knee, do one....
JeffB

PostPosted: Fri Apr 07, 2017 8:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Right, finally entered. No real aims, sub 11 will be good but just want to avoid making a pigs ear of it like the previous two years.

Jeff
JeffB

PostPosted: Fri Apr 07, 2017 8:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

TRO Saracen wrote:
For all IM's I decant enough gels into a bottle for my fluid calorie needs then top up with water.

Start with one full water bottle then I just need to pick up replacement water at feed stations - with UK being a relatively cold race this is usually every other feed station.

This worked well, except for the time I picked up sports drink bottle instead of water, but it was so weak I got away with it.

As TRO says, despite paying a lot to be provided with nutrition, certainly for the bike I'd try and take what you can of your own.

for my 2 IM's last year I used a hydration bladder and stuck it down my skinsuit, then had a small bento box and topped up with some water on the course.

Run is a bit different as I don't often fancy gels or solids by then and usually stick to the coke or energy drink.

Jeff
Mungo

PostPosted: Fri Apr 07, 2017 9:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sub 11 on that course is good.
What happened last time ?
Problem sorted? Unlucky?
JeffB

PostPosted: Sun Apr 09, 2017 7:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Mungo wrote:
Sub 11 on that course is good.
What happened last time ?
Problem sorted? Unlucky?

Hmm, yes, might reconsider that to nearer 11:30 as it isn't really a priority and I don't fancy all the long rides, still got London marathon to do as well.

Had a couple of bad days, first time I'm not really sure what happened, about 10 miles into the run I just couldn't run, chest was getting tight and according to my G\F I started going green! Wasn't a heart attack or anything like that (I hope\think), best I could agree with my Doc was an asthma attack although I don't generally suffer from asthma but do have a fairly low lung capacity when I'm stressed. It was probably brought on by the fact it coincided with it getting quite cold, wet and windy. But oddly I did getting running again in the last 4 miles! Still managed 11:20.

The year later I had more issues on the run, this time it was bloating and stomach cramps, got round in 11:09 despite about 5 minutes in the blue khazi Sad , this was on the new bike course which I think was probably about 10 minutes slower.

I think I've improved my nutrition now, and had two decent days last year at Frankfurt\Barca without having too many digestive issues so I'm going to be aiming to use that approach again. Basically a hydration bladder down my skinsuit with energy drink, a bar on the bike and get some water from the aid stations on the bike. On the run it is usually energy drink and coke.

Run\walk also worked a treat in Barca and did a 3:38 run.

Jeff
Toyota_Crown

Location: Lincoln / Scarborough (Algerino-Land) / Fircombe-on-Sea. sandbagging for daveM

PostPosted: Sun Apr 09, 2017 7:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

JeffB wrote:

Jeff
Bingo! Thumbs Up and thats on a flat course too. What was you RW strategy, or just playing it by feel?

TRO Saracen wrote:

that's decent advice Thumbs Up
87IM+10DIM+D+2Q+2T=123IM
UKIMGrandSlam04-16
JeffB

PostPosted: Tue Apr 11, 2017 4:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Toyota_Crown wrote:
JeffB wrote:

Jeff
Bingo! Thumbs Up and thats on a flat course too. What was you RW strategy, or just playing it by feel?

For the first 20k I was generally having a 1 minute walk every 4k, and a very short walk at most aid stations to get a drink. Then dropped it to every 3k until about 31k, then 2k until the end.

I'd say it definitely worked, but it is easier to do when you have a bit of time in the bank, it's a mental thing that when you get your head round it you see the benefit.

Jeff
crumpy

PostPosted: Tue May 02, 2017 8:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

JeffB wrote:
Toyota_Crown wrote:
JeffB wrote:

Jeff

For the first 20k I was generally having a 1 minute walk every 4k, and a very short walk at most aid stations to get a drink. Then dropped it to every 3k until about 31k, then 2k until the end.

I'd say it definitely worked, but it is easier to do when you have a bit of time in the bank, it's a mental thing that when you get your head round it you see the benefit.

Jeff

Hi Jeff. As well as a mental thing, did you find it beneficial to keeping your HR lower for longer? Also do you think, it enabled you to run slightly faster when you were running ?
Tin Pot

PostPosted: Tue May 02, 2017 8:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm definitely planning for run/walk. I was so unbelievably #@?# at the run last year. Started doing it in training last week for my long run, 2hrs 15 - run 9 mins walk 1 min. Think it was a ratio idea off Cup of Tri/OxygenAddict.
Sprint '16 1h17, '14 1h40, '13 2h01
Half Mara '16 2h04, '14 2h07
10 Mile TT '16 00:26:30
Trail 10K '16 54:01 '13 54:46
JeffB

PostPosted: Wed May 03, 2017 7:29 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

crumpy wrote:

Hi Jeff. As well as a mental thing, did you find it beneficial to keeping your HR lower for longer? Also do you think, it enabled you to run slightly faster when you were running ?

Although I wasn't trying to keep to any HR zones it probably did help with that, first half was about 150-155BPM which is about normal for 4.50 minute K's.

Second half went down to about 145-150BPM, and was between 5-5.10k's I think.

I'd expect some slowing down but when I was running it was around the same pace.

I think it was as much that I paced it better overall and kept running late on, rather than lots of walking in the second half. It didn't feel as tough either, but I could have just been having a better day or been in better shape.

Jeff
funkster

PostPosted: Wed May 03, 2017 8:24 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Tin Pot wrote:
I'm definitely planning for run/walk. I was so unbelievably #@?# at the run last year. Started doing it in training last week for my long run, 2hrs 15 - run 9 mins walk 1 min. Think it was a ratio idea off Cup of Tri/OxygenAddict.

Been using that ratio for a while now.

Used to do 10:1, but 9:1 is easier on my brain
Post new topic   Reply to topic    TriTalk.co.uk Forum Index -> Events All times are GMT
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next
Page 5 of 6

Jump to: