Tri Talk HomepageTri Talk EventsTri Talk ForumsBlogsTri Talk TrainingTri TradeTriPlayerWikiTeam Tri Talk
Day in the Lakes - any tips?

 
Post new topic   Reply to topic    TriTalk.co.uk Forum Index -> Events
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Author Message
Flee




Joined: 08 Dec 2015
Posts: 11

PostPosted: Mon Jun 19, 2017 7:50 pm    Post subject: Day in the Lakes - any tips? Reply with quote

I'm doing my second ever half distance at the weekend at The Day in The Lakes - has anybody got any tips to help me get through it?

Thanks
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
FatPom




Joined: 26 Dec 2005
Posts: 4665
Location: My happy place

PostPosted: Mon Jun 19, 2017 8:03 pm    Post subject: Re: Day in the Lakes - any tips? Reply with quote

Flee wrote:
I'm doing my second ever half distance at the weekend at The Day in The Lakes - has anybody got any tips to help me get through it?

Thanks


Learn to run up vertical walls. Practice your descending skills.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Cobbie




Joined: 02 Aug 2005
Posts: 7416
Location: Chester

PostPosted: Tue Jun 20, 2017 12:52 pm    Post subject: Re: Day in the Lakes - any tips? Reply with quote

FatPom wrote:
Flee wrote:
I'm doing my second ever half distance at the weekend at The Day in The Lakes - has anybody got any tips to help me get through it?

Thanks


Learn to run up vertical walls. Practice your descending skills.

LOL, I recall talking to you on that gentle climb in 2010 Smile

My take on ADITL is that it's hilly but not excessively so, pacing is important.

As with all Lake District swims, it may well be bracing, even with the relatively warm weather we're having. Getting wet early to aclimatise might be a good idea if you need time to adapt.
The bike has two decent hills; Kirkstone Pass is fairly steep for a short section and you may want to push hard as you can recover on the descent. The climb up to Shap is much easier so can be paced better. There's no sting in the tail (assuming the course remains unchanged) so you can get into TT mode for the last section.
The run has a steep, off-road section out of T2, then flat but rough path, another hill which is runnable IMHO, then a narrow, fast rocky descent and an undulating road to finish. As FatPom says, being able to descend well is important, that's probably where you can make up the most time Smile
_________________
Almost back to being an athlete in 2016 Shocked
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
SGreg




Joined: 30 Jun 2010
Posts: 692
Location: High Peak

PostPosted: Tue Jun 20, 2017 1:07 pm    Post subject: Re: Day in the Lakes - any tips? Reply with quote

Cobbie wrote:
The run has a steep, off-road section out of T2, then flat but rough path, another hill which is runnable IMHO, then a narrow, fast rocky descent and an undulating road to finish. As FatPom says, being able to descend well is important, that's probably where you can make up the most time Smile



IIRC Cobbie is a very good hill runner I would take his humble opinion on this matter with a pinch of salt.

There was no running involved in my ascent of it


My biggest tip would be to pace it more like you would an Ironman rather than a half. I hit the bike quite a bit too hard (HIM pace) and paid for it the rest of the day. It is quite a bit harder than your average HIM and while treating as an IM is probably over kill I would certainly err on the side of caution for pacing.

That said going up Kirkstone I had the option of 2 pace's all out effort, or fall over. It took all I had just to keep moving!
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
FatPom




Joined: 26 Dec 2005
Posts: 4665
Location: My happy place

PostPosted: Tue Jun 20, 2017 1:14 pm    Post subject: Re: Day in the Lakes - any tips? Reply with quote

Cobbie wrote:
FatPom wrote:
Flee wrote:
I'm doing my second ever half distance at the weekend at The Day in The Lakes - has anybody got any tips to help me get through it?

Thanks


Learn to run up vertical walls. Practice your descending skills.

LOL, I recall talking to you on that gentle climb in 2010 Smile



I did actually 'run' most of it but there is a small section after the the first pass of the run aid station (hereon known as 'Base Camp 1' Very Happy ) where just before you crest for the ridge that I was on my hands and knees scrambling up it.

The other tricky bit on the run is the descent off the ridge heading back down to Base Camp 1. I found this tricky because of the steepness but also the depth of the path didn't really allow for any lateral drift and faster mountain goat fell runners were not that easy to get out the way of. Very easy to twist an ankle if you're not careful.

The bike is relatively moderate as long as you pace yourself, can descend well and don't mind being self sufficient. It's a great race but not for those that want aid stations every 15kms or everything laid out and spoon fed.

I really enjoyed it but was well knackered at the end! Great banter after at the campsite Smile
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Cobbie




Joined: 02 Aug 2005
Posts: 7416
Location: Chester

PostPosted: Wed Jun 21, 2017 7:40 pm    Post subject: Re: Day in the Lakes - any tips? Reply with quote

SGreg wrote:
Cobbie wrote:
The run has a steep, off-road section out of T2, then flat but rough path, another hill which is runnable IMHO, then a narrow, fast rocky descent and an undulating road to finish. As FatPom says, being able to descend well is important, that's probably where you can make up the most time Smile



IIRC Cobbie is a very good hill runner I would take his humble opinion on this matter with a pinch of salt.

There was no running involved in my ascent of it


My biggest tip would be to pace it more like you would an Ironman rather than a half. I hit the bike quite a bit too hard (HIM pace) and paid for it the rest of the day. It is quite a bit harder than your average HIM and while treating as an IM is probably over kill I would certainly err on the side of caution for pacing.

That said going up Kirkstone I had the option of 2 pace's all out effort, or fall over. It took all I had just to keep moving!

Fair enough Smile All I really meant was that it is runnable because it's a path.

I remember a little more about the run descent now. There are a number of small rocky steps - the challenge is that there's quite a lot of bracken and the path is quite narrow so your ability to plan your route is pretty limited. Your pace will be governed by how quickly you can react to the changes in terrain.

It is a lovely day out, you'll have a blast Smile
_________________
Almost back to being an athlete in 2016 Shocked
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
SwimsLikeAWalrus




Joined: 30 Apr 2007
Posts: 1445

PostPosted: Thu Jun 22, 2017 10:49 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Now that Wimbleball is going I can definitely do this next year.

Is it fair to say it's like Helvellyn?
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Flee




Joined: 08 Dec 2015
Posts: 11

PostPosted: Thu Jun 22, 2017 10:52 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks guys - sounds like it will be a tough day out. I believe the bike route has changed now so it's flatter than previous years. That run sounds painful though!

wish me luck Smile
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
SGreg




Joined: 30 Jun 2010
Posts: 692
Location: High Peak

PostPosted: Thu Jun 22, 2017 10:56 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Just seen the new route!

looks a lot less inspiring than the old one, hope there is a good reason for the change!

Sure it will still be a great event, have fun.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Cobbie




Joined: 02 Aug 2005
Posts: 7416
Location: Chester

PostPosted: Thu Jun 22, 2017 2:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

SwimsLikeAWalrus wrote:
Now that Wimbleball is going I can definitely do this next year.

Is it fair to say it's like Helvellyn?
Nothing like Helvellyn apart from the swim is in the same lake Smile

Although shorter, Helvellyn bike and run are both much harder

The Struggle on the Helvellyn bike is an order of magnitude steeper than Kirkstone
There is much more uphill running on Helvellyn and some scrambling on Swirral Edge

Helvellyn is a much better event I think, probably my favorite UK triathlon Smile
_________________
Almost back to being an athlete in 2016 Shocked
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
trimechanics




Joined: 21 May 2014
Posts: 170
Location: Leeds

PostPosted: Sat Jun 24, 2017 6:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Firstly, great race!
I'll be there again tomorrow, I've been 4th 3rd and 2nd, so fingers crossed!

It's a great race, with a much less challenging bike now! Lasts about 2 hours as opposed to the old one which was 2.45 with kirkstone and shap!

The reason for the change last year was the bridge issue, I think they have stuck with it as it allows better participation but also a shorter version.

The swim is generally cold and long, I got it at around 2.4k last year!
Bike is just rolling.
Run is. Well a toughie.
First run up don't kill your self, really don't! It's long, and not steep but it's draining and you need the legs later.

On the first decent it is rocky. So take it easy but try not to crash down, take small steps and not big leaps
If you knacker your quads here it's going to be a struggle.
The second ascent isn't tough, if you walk it early. Don't be a hero, I was in the lead here last year and I walked it, the longer you try and run the harder it will be.

The second decent is tricky. A bit muddier so try to control your footing.

Then, you have the worst section of the race. Your legs are dead but you have to run 3 miles on road!
Last year I was cooked, I had lost the lead and motivation with it, it was a tough tough 3 miles, but it's relatively flat and try and enjoy the views of the lake!
_________________
www.trimechanics.co.uk
Running analysis and nutrition based in Leeds UK
https://www.facebook.com/trimechanics
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website
Display posts from previous:   
Post new topic   Reply to topic    TriTalk.co.uk Forum Index -> Events All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1
  Share
 
Jump to:  
You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You cannot vote in polls in this forum





Home | About TT | Privacy Policy | Terms and Conditions | Advertising | Contact TT
Copyright ©2003-2015 TriTalk®.co.uk. All rights reserved.