Tri Talk HomepageTri Talk EventsTri Talk ForumsBlogsTri Talk TrainingTri TradeTriPlayerWikiTeam Tri Talk
Bkool, Zwift, TrainerRoad etc
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
JaRok2300

PostPosted: Wed Nov 09, 2016 8:36 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Just seen on Facebook that Bkool have put the "No GPS" routes back in and the ability to create manual routes by distance and gradient.
Just logged on to check and they are indeed there.
If they all work OK then the free version has everything I need but still may experiment with Golden Cheetah now I've got my head round it a bit as it has the ability to build intervals by %FTP.
Redjeep!

PostPosted: Wed Nov 09, 2016 10:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've signed up for the Sufferfest as I've used it before and am currently in the 7 day free trial period. I used it earlier this evening and loved it, but it's not recognizing the trainer, so maybe more work needed.

I like that you could download the video and so wasn't as dependent upon the internet connection as the Bkool system.
JaRok2300

PostPosted: Thu Nov 10, 2016 8:36 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I noticed yesterday that there are loads of Sufferfest programs on ErgDB. I'm guessing people created them so that their trainer would match the effort changes in the videos without them having to do anything (maybe before the app existed).

If Sufferfest won't recognise the trainer you could use GC to control the trainer and play the video in the GC window at the same time.

I'm going to have a proper go at a %FTP interval session on GC tonight so I'll feedback how that goes.
JaRok2300

PostPosted: Fri Nov 11, 2016 9:25 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Tried a GC interval session based on %FTP last night with only partial success.
Everything was going fine for about 10mins, I could feel the trainer changing resistance to match the power level on the screen and , as someone posted earlier, just watching that line go across the graph and match the blocks was passing the time OK.
Then a box of some description popped up with the option to cancel or save and I hit cancel, thinking it would get rid of the box, and it stopped the whole program.
I then switched to Bkool and did a 20km TT to finish off.

I'm going to persevere with GC for a while as I do like the flexibility and control of it but may need to gen up a bit more to make sure I've got it all set-up correctly.
Redjeep!

PostPosted: Sat Nov 12, 2016 10:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Bkool have been in touch and we've arranged for them to install the latest simulator s/w via remote access on Tuesday morning. I'm hoping that this will enable the FE-C functionality.

I've also downloaded Zwift onto my laptop and so will be trialing this as soon as the FE-C is working.

I may look at GC, but am a bit intimidated by the UI, in that I'm not sure I want to invest the time required to understand it yet.
Redjeep!

PostPosted: Wed Nov 16, 2016 9:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Jason,

Just to let you know that my trainer is now configured with FE-C, so I can use Zwift or Sufferfest.

Mine was one of the first (pre-Dec 2014) and so it suggests that that they can all be done.

I'm looking forward to trying out Zwift and Sufferfest this winter.
hillwall

PostPosted: Tue Nov 22, 2016 9:27 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Is there a simple app/program out there that has the following features

ANT+/BLE compatible (I've got Garmin HRM and Stages PM)
Allows you to do an FTP test
Allows you to create/save workouts based on FTP
Saves a file you can upload (or automatically does it) to Strava etc
Is a cheap, one off payment
I don't mind what platform it's on as I've probably got a machine it will run on

For all the different options on the turbo, I don't think I want a fully defined training plan since I just don't have the ability to commit to it currently, and although I am using Zwift I find I mostly just do a workout and pay no real attention to the other riders.

What I think I want to do is have 4 or 5 key workouts programmed and try to cover them all regularly. Much the same as I do for running really.

Now I know I could do this in Golden Cheetah but it all seems a bit complicated for what I want. Is there anything out there?
Buzz_

PostPosted: Tue Nov 22, 2016 10:42 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

https://www.dcrainmaker.com/2016/11/trainer-apps-guide.html

Plenty of options to do what you want, although the "one off fee" might be a challenge, the world is going subscription.

I found Trainerroad was good for tracking progress over time, as it tracks power PBs and is easy to find/compare repeated workouts. I left Zwift as I didn't use the social aspects and don't have a connected trainer. Currently on Sufferfest because I like the workouts, but I miss being able to nerd out on the stats in Trainerroad and may return.
hillwall

PostPosted: Tue Nov 22, 2016 10:52 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Buzz_ wrote:
https://www.dcrainmaker.com/2016/11/trainer-apps-guide.html

Plenty of options to do what you want, although the "one off fee" might be a challenge, the world is going subscription.

I found Trainerroad was good for tracking progress over time, as it tracks power PBs and is easy to find/compare repeated workouts. I left Zwift as I didn't use the social aspects and don't have a connected trainer. Currently on Sufferfest because I like the workouts, but I miss being able to nerd out on the stats in Trainerroad and may return.

Yeah, I went through that list and there is nothing in there that fits the bill. Just wondering if there might be something out there that I'd not seen.

Maybe I'll give trainerroad a go but it certainly seems to be overkill for my needs.
JaRok2300

PostPosted: Tue Nov 22, 2016 6:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Golden Cheetah will do what you want and is free(don't know about the BLE as don't have anything that uses it).

Train mode isn't that complicated and is perfect for what you describe as you could save some key workouts and just pick them from the list whenever you wanted to do them.

Building your own workouts is also dead simple and they too get saved to use again. You could build an hour's workout in about 5/10mins or there are hundreds on Ergdb to choose from which GC will go and get within Train mode.

I had a few problems initially with workouts stopping unexpectedly, which I think may be down to my really old laptop, but have completed a couple of successful sessions recently and really like it.

Haven't even touched all the analytical abilities as just want it for the trainer at the moment.
hillwall

PostPosted: Fri Dec 02, 2016 1:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well in the end I have ditched my Zwift subscription since I wasn't doing anything other than workouts. I tried a load on the DC Rainmaker list and finally went for Maximum Trainer. $14.99/year seems a pretty good price and it does pretty much all I want from my list

ANT+ (not BLE but I can use either)
Windows/Mac
FTP test
Allows creation/saving workouts
Saves a file and automatically uploads to Strava (I can upload elsewhere if I want)
Not a complete pain to use (looking at you GC)

Bonus options for me are the inclusion of radio stations (some dubious euro trance helps) and the ability to have several people all connected at once. I'm hoping my wife will join me on the turbo next year.

As an aside, I really liked all the analysis that Xert online does. I have no idea what to do with it but it looks very pretty.
IronMike

PostPosted: Fri Dec 02, 2016 11:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm pretty new to the online turbo world, although have suffered in my pain cave on a number of devices for a fair few years.

I am loving Zwift at the moment - have done the Tuesday and Thursday races this past week. There are certainly some 'not normal' performances out there, but it pushes me in ways that staring at numbers just doesn't. Think the guy that won last night held 340 ish watts at a HR of 127. Hmmmm. Having said that, they seem quite good at excluding these people from the results.

I have a sufferfest subscription running too - did to a dark place last week and got my arse handed to me. Like how it heckles you when you are getting dropped! Will be up for the tour in the new year.

Things sure have moved on since I last brought a turbo 10 years ago. I have the tacx neo and worth every penny so far.
Foggy
Site Admin

PostPosted: Sat Dec 03, 2016 5:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

IronMike wrote:

I am loving Zwift at the moment - have done the Tuesday and Thursday races this past week. There are certainly some 'not normal' performances out there, but it pushes me in ways that staring at numbers just doesn't. Think the guy that won last night held 340 ish watts at a HR of 127. Hmmmm. Having said that, they seem quite good at excluding these people from the results.

I was overtaken today by a guy supposedly putting out 26w/kg.

I tend to ignore the segment stuff on Zwift other than my own results, otherwise you end up trying to compete with results like this where the guy apparently averaged 460w for 1hr48 which would be rather impressive:

https://www.strava.com/segments/12118762
TriSam

PostPosted: Mon Dec 05, 2016 9:30 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The guy's power trace in 2nd position on that leaderboard is believable though, albeit pretty high. When you look at the person's power analysis for the KOM of that segment, it shows you how easy it is to fake/fix data
Sopworth

PostPosted: Mon Jan 16, 2017 7:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I was a big Zwift fan and still using it, but the races are becoming more and more difficult to compete on a level playing field. I'm honest about my weight and run it through a Kickr, so my numbers are good (although I think my Kickr is +10 watts to my vectors).
I try and do 2 races a week and although i'm improving my power output and strength, I'm going backwards in where I finish - as already mentioned, some of the figures people are using are just crazy. Don't get it myself but each to their own I guess.
The workouts on Zwift are pretty dull as he other riders are pointless as you are chasing your own numbers/resistance. My use of the workouts on Zwift has gone down since switching from TR and I guess thats because they are pretty boring. For this reason, I may be heading back to TR.
Decisions, decisions.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    TriTalk.co.uk Forum Index -> Training All times are GMT
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Page 3 of 4

Jump to: