Tri Talk HomepageTri Talk EventsTri Talk ForumsBlogsTri Talk TrainingTri TradeTriPlayerWikiTeam Tri Talk
Outlaw 2017
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 7, 8, 9 ... 25, 26, 27  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
mw22

PostPosted: Fri Jun 09, 2017 1:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Jorgan wrote:
mw22 wrote:

Swim - recurring shoulder injury back in open water.
Bike - can't get comfy on TT and ride past 3 hours.
Run - knocked out a 15 miler and felt good. Plan to get to 20 back on track.

What is the comfort issue on the bike?

Oh you shouldn't have asked... are you sitting comfortably (excuse the pun).
Decided the first TT ride of the season would ease in gently with an 80 miler (I do use the bike over the winter on turbo, but 90 mins is usually max).
70 miles in I was in absolute agony - feet, neck, bum and shoulders. Neck was the worst.
After some more rides and faffing with the fit (which had been ok-ish for 4 years) admitted that the cheapo aero road helmet was causing the neck issue - now resolved.
Feet resolved with new road shoes rather than tri shoes that didnt like me wearing socks.
So that left the rear and shoulders. Shoulder pain usually eased after 30 mins, not so much now.
So I started looking at my fit - took some pics, made some adjustments to bars, more pics, more adjustments.
Then decided I needed a new saddle - so got an Adamo... after some test rides decided I needed new tri shorts for new saddle........
Still tweaking the bars during all of this as seem to have excessive load on both shoulders and rear. Adamo then started rubbing on the outside. So now switched back to stock saddle to start again.

Don't ask for pics
Embarassed
Tri'ing Swimmer

PostPosted: Fri Jun 09, 2017 3:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

6 weeks... not sure if that gives me relief or panic.

Swim ticking along ~5k a week, been much the same all year.
Run building up, did my longest ever this week - 30km at 5:08/k, 10-1 run-walk. Weekly volumes just up into the 40s
Bike getting neglected, only averaging one ride a week. Managed 2x130ks and 1x150, but hopefully 4 weeks of bike focus to put that right. Averaging around 28-29kph though so 6hr split seems hopeful for <11 unless Outlaw course is every bit as fast as some say. The ulcer thats been there for ~6 weeks and counting doesnt help! Mad
Wheezy

PostPosted: Fri Jun 09, 2017 7:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Davem wrote:
I'm out

Other than one good week in Lanzo I havent done much in the way of training. (One ride and one swim in May!)

Achilles still preventing me from running.

I did have a thought about converting it to a relay - but they will be waiting a long time for me getting off the bike!

Sorry to hear that. Sounds like a sensible decision.
stanley

PostPosted: Sun Jun 11, 2017 10:49 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Davem wrote:
I'm out

Other than one good week in Lanzo I havent done much in the way of training. (One ride and one swim in May!)

Achilles still preventing me from running.

I did have a thought about converting it to a relay - but they will be waiting a long time for me getting off the bike!

I will do the run Dave if you change your mind Smile
spraggz

PostPosted: Tue Jun 13, 2017 9:41 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

For those that have raced before, is the bike course as fast as people say it is? Trying to figure out what might be achievable... (Aware conditions on the day will probably be a factor!)

Thanks
SGreg

PostPosted: Tue Jun 13, 2017 10:03 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

spraggz wrote:
For those that have raced before, is the bike course as fast as people say it is? Trying to figure out what might be achievable... (Aware conditions on the day will probably be a factor!)

Thanks

How fast do people say it is ?

Its fast for UK roads but its not dragstrip stuff.

The North loop has one short steep hill and one long shallow hill. The steep hill has a long downhill on the other side so its no problem. The longer hill saps time and the downhill is very exposed so really doesn't help much.

The south loop is flat, but there are plenty of corners and such to steal speed, but generally its quick.

And of course there is the last couple of miles which need to be taken easy to avoid grief, especially if its raining.

Its a fast course by UK standards but compared to something like Copenhagen its a bit slower.
Jorgan

PostPosted: Wed Jun 14, 2017 8:05 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Week 1 of my final 4 week block of longer training; this sh1t's getting real now. I'm sure I'll be gagging for taper time by the end of the second week; always the long solo rides that get me. First long run (2h+) is Sunday morning. I've been watching coverage of past Outlaw events on youtube to motivate me!
blindcider

PostPosted: Wed Jun 14, 2017 9:03 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

SGreg wrote:
spraggz wrote:

Thanks

How fast do people say it is ?

Its fast for UK roads but its not dragstrip stuff.

The North loop has one short steep hill and one long shallow hill. The steep hill has a long downhill on the other side so its no problem. The longer hill saps time and the downhill is very exposed so really doesn't help much.

The south loop is flat, but there are plenty of corners and such to steal speed, but generally its quick.

And of course there is the last couple of miles which need to be taken easy to avoid grief, especially if its raining.

Its a fast course by UK standards but compared to something like Copenhagen its a bit slower.

This is spot on. Would also add that there is a long straight but narrowish A-road just before the steep hill and if the traffic is busy can slow you down particularly if there are other racers ahead. Alternately it could provide an unavoidable drafting opportunity
SidSnot

PostPosted: Wed Jun 14, 2017 9:12 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Jorgan wrote:
Week 1 of my final 4 week block of longer training; this sh1t's getting real now. I'm sure I'll be gagging for taper time by the end of the second week; always the long solo rides that get me. First long run (2h+) is Sunday morning. I've been watching coverage of past Outlaw events on youtube to motivate me!

I've got Windsor at the weekend then a big week next week. With Thursday off for a long bike and some extended commutes.
I got a mention in last years coverage, coming out of the water just behind the eventual winner(that's all I saw of him all day)
Jorgan

PostPosted: Wed Jun 14, 2017 9:14 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

blindcider wrote:

This is spot on. Would also add that there is a long straight but narrowish A-road just before the steep hill and if the traffic is busy can slow you down particularly if there are other racers ahead. Alternately it could provide an unavoidable drafting opportunity

I do remember the Inter Services one year, when I got overtaken by a tractor towing a huge trailer on a main road; he then got stuck behind a guy who'd just flown past me.... that was a huge unavoidable draft Wink
blindcider

PostPosted: Wed Jun 14, 2017 9:20 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Jorgan wrote:
blindcider wrote:

But that never happens, the cars are always going too slow in my experience. I do remember the Inter Services one year, when I got overtaken by a tractor towing a huge trailer on a main road; he then got stuck behind a guy who'd just flown past me.... that was a huge unavoidable draft Wink

It was the same in 2015 when I did the Outlaw. I'm a slow swimmer (1:25ish) but reasonable biker so catch a lot of the people on the bike - IIRC I overtook about 300 people on the bike that day and remember that section particularly for being frustrating as I was catching people but the cars were making it difficult to either pass or avoid drafting.
Jorgan

PostPosted: Wed Jun 14, 2017 9:24 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Generally you get 'stuck' behind cars, sat-up on the bars in my experience, hopefully not too much of that on race day. I have no idea what part of the course you guys are referring to, as I've not ridden it, and live too far away to visit the course before race weekend. This will be the second Full distance I've not had the chance to ride the course beforehand.

I take it the course is well signed to drive it on the Fri/Sat before?
Pedro Peru

PostPosted: Wed Jun 14, 2017 10:08 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I am quite worried and excited now, it's very close. I am doing the Coast to Coast next weekend. I will be doing a long ride tomorrow and then a longer interval run on Sunday and then dial back a little for the C2C and then once recovered from that I expect to have a solid couple of weeks before dialing back again for the outlaw. I have done a couple of runs over 2 hrs and a couple of x2 runs a day that add up to over 2 hrs. I have done a couple of marathons before and I am in better run shape than for those.
mw22

PostPosted: Wed Jun 14, 2017 10:23 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Jorgan wrote:
Generally you get 'stuck' behind cars, sat-up on the bars in my experience, hopefully not too much of that on race day. I have no idea what part of the course you guys are referring to, as I've not ridden it, and live too far away to visit the course before race weekend. This will be the second Full distance I've not had the chance to ride the course beforehand.

I take it the course is well signed to drive it on the Fri/Sat before?

It's the A6097 that connects the South and North loops.
I found it worse after the North loop heading back down to the South loop. There's a slight uphill drag at about 75 miles which a number of riders seemed to struggle with - thus causing the car congestion.
Jorgan

PostPosted: Wed Jun 14, 2017 10:29 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm hoping that if all goes to plan, it won't be too congested with riders where I am.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    TriTalk.co.uk Forum Index -> Events All times are GMT
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 7, 8, 9 ... 25, 26, 27  Next
Page 8 of 27

Jump to: