Tri Talk HomepageTri Talk EventsTri Talk ForumsBlogsTri Talk TrainingTri TradeTriPlayerWikiTeam Tri Talk
Outlaw 2017
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... , 25, 26, 27  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Wheezy

PostPosted: Thu Aug 03, 2017 8:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

spraggz wrote:
Finally managed to finish my write-up; apologies - it is slightly long!

https://spragginsblog.wordpress.com/2017/08/02/outlaw-triathlon-23072017-you-win-some-you-lose-some/

Nice write up. 👍
SidSnot

PostPosted: Fri Aug 04, 2017 7:48 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

spraggz wrote:

https://spragginsblog.wordpress.com/2017/08/02/outlaw-triathlon-23072017-you-win-some-you-lose-some/

Good, honest write up. You must have past me on the last part of the lake; I was 11:09 and struggling on the run
Symes

PostPosted: Fri Aug 04, 2017 7:56 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

spraggz wrote:

I feel your pain with the punctures, had a similar day out in Zurich many years ago, managed to share mine front and back though. Enjoy Wales...

Stronger mind and muscles than joints, what a b@stard
FatPom

PostPosted: Fri Aug 04, 2017 8:33 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

spraggz wrote:

Really good write up. If you see me at Wales, your race really has gone t1t$ up. Very Happy
Jorgan

PostPosted: Fri Aug 04, 2017 8:39 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

There was a guy from our club who triple punctured too apparently; I passed him about 15km in, by the roadside with what was presumably his first. It does seem that multiple punctures are common with clinchers. Obviously people look for something in the tyre/rim that must be causing it, but I also wonder if it's pinched tubes when fitted in a hurry; it's difficult to get thin skinny tubes into folding tyres at the best of times.

I do appreciate that the vast majority race on clinchers nowadays, but pretty much everyone I see by the roadside is repairing a clincher. If you swap a tubular, the whole thing is replaced, thus avoiding the aforementioned issues.
Doca

PostPosted: Fri Aug 04, 2017 9:10 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

This is probably going to tar my luck but.... I have only had one puncture in the the last 4 years that I have been cycling & the cause of that ultimately was a worn out tire. I can't help but think a lot of these punctures (some people got them so regular) are cause by worn tires, ill fitted tubes or wrong pressure.
Doca

PostPosted: Fri Aug 04, 2017 9:39 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

spraggz wrote:

That's a great read spraggz I enjoyed that more than most, shame it didn't go your way on the day but clearly there is a superb result in the tank. Hopefully it will work out for you in Wales.
Jorgan

PostPosted: Fri Aug 04, 2017 9:39 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Given just how resistant some tyres are to intrusive punctures nowadays, I think that tube pinches are a big culprit; especially in recurring flats on poor surfaces. As tubeless becomes more popular, we might see this decrease?
fat buddha

PostPosted: Fri Aug 04, 2017 9:43 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Symes wrote:
spraggz wrote:

I feel your pain with the punctures, had a similar day out in Zurich many years ago, managed to share mine front and back though. Enjoy Wales...

thought that was Austria??
SGreg

PostPosted: Fri Aug 04, 2017 10:07 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Doca wrote:
This is probably going to tar my luck but.... I have only had one puncture in the the last 4 years that I have been cycling & the cause of that ultimately was a worn out tire. I can't help but think a lot of these punctures (some people got them so regular) are cause by worn tires, ill fitted tubes or wrong pressure.

Having had about the same luck as you regarding punctures previously I have had two long rides ruined this year by punctures.

One was on a old Tubular (1 year old and not very worn at all) that picked up a hole! There was nothing in the tyre just a perfectly round hole, like a pin prick.

The second was on a brand new Tubular the other week had about 200miles in it and something just slashed the tyre completely flat in seconds (while descending)

So not all punctures are poor maintenance some are just #@?# bad luck.

A few years back I kept getting punctures on the turbo, went through about 4 tubes, but every time I flatted. Was driving me crazy. Eventually after meticulously inspecting the tyre (after numerous prior inspection reviled nothing) I found a section of wire imbedded in the rubber. hidden when the tyre was in shape but could poke out when deformed like as it passes the roller.

a roadside inspection would NEVER have revealed this. could easily have been a similar issue here. I initially expected a rim tape issue here but if a new tyre fixed it its probably not the issue.
FatPom

PostPosted: Fri Aug 04, 2017 10:53 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I can do a straightforward change a tube in a couple of minutes if I have to (years of road racing). I'm 81kgs and only get a pinch flat from hitting particularly bad potholes but I do tun very wide rims (HED Belgium Plus road and Zipp 404 TT), i run them at 80psi.

Two things I do. One is not to panic and the other is, if i can see the hole/knick in the tyre but not what caused, I always put a glueless patch on the inside because sometimes the cause is buried halfway into the tyre and is just not obvious.

If you want to be sure, take the tyre off and turn inside out and pich the middle as you run it through your hands. Lost count of the offending items I've found doing this. Takes longer but avoids another stop.
Symes

PostPosted: Fri Aug 04, 2017 5:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

fat buddha wrote:
Symes wrote:
spraggz wrote:

thought that was Austria??

No, definitely IMCH, kind of sticks in my mind a bit!

Stronger mind and muscles than joints, what a b@stard
kennyOX2

PostPosted: Sat Aug 26, 2017 7:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I know there is camping on site at the outlaw but what is the general opinion on local hotel options? Nothing too fancy but something like a travel lodge or Premier Inn type gaff but local - essentially best local options that are competitor friendly.

Thanks
Tri'ing Swimmer

PostPosted: Sun Aug 27, 2017 2:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

kennyOX2 wrote:
I know there is camping on site at the outlaw but what is the general opinion on local hotel options? Nothing too fancy but something like a travel lodge or Premier Inn type gaff but local - essentially best local options that are competitor friendly.

Thanks

I hired an apartment with a fried also racing so could have dinner and prepare breakfast bit easier, 70 airbnb for two double bedrooms, 10 minute drive from Holme Pierrepoint.
kennyOX2

PostPosted: Sun Aug 27, 2017 3:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Fancy sharing details Swiimmer?
Post new topic   Reply to topic    TriTalk.co.uk Forum Index -> Events All times are GMT
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... , 25, 26, 27  Next
Page 26 of 27

Jump to: