Tri Talk HomepageTri Talk EventsTri Talk ForumsBlogsTri Talk TrainingTri TradeTriPlayerWikiTeam Tri Talk
Outlaw 2017
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 25, 26, 27  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Jorgan

PostPosted: Wed Mar 08, 2017 10:25 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

SidSnot wrote:
Jorgan wrote:
No posts here for 2 months?! What is going on.

Booked my accommodation on Monday, so another thing sorted. B&B in Cotgrave, so nice and close. I watched the Outlaw coverage on Youtube the other day, and it looks like a good event, and I have to admit, it got me a little excited.

Its a great event, only 19.5 weeks to go.
How's the training going?

Not too bad thanks. I have done a couple of 3h 'zero calorie' rides early on a Sunday, with more planned. A few 10-11 mile runs in Z2, so building a nice solid base. Looking to get outside on the TT bike soon, and staying on it until the event. A few tweaks to my bike equipment, nothing major, but looking for some gains there. I've also been hitting the intervals in the garage & on the Wattbike at work; more than previous years, and I think it's showing benefits, coupled with the long steady rides. Swimming - just staying on the plateau really given my age; looking for 59-60 min on the day.

I'm guessing if I swim to plan (all my wetsuit swims have been 59/60) then it might be fairly lonely for a few miles at the start of the bike in this race?
SGreg

PostPosted: Wed Mar 08, 2017 11:20 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yeah its a really good race!

The course isn't the most inspiring, But the central venue really helps with the crowd intensity. Its got as big a race feel as anywhere, you never feel its grass roots stuff.

And the course is very fast, I'm sure you will love it, even though its dull it does work very well as a race course.

I can imagine it getting a bit lonely yeah. one year I swam a 1:04 and then attacked the bike hard and it ended up getting quite quiet after a while and I was probably only about 50th-60th on the road so a bit further up could be very quiet.

FWIW I attacked far too hard and blew up for my worst result but it was fun Pretending I was that fast for a bit Laughing
Jorgan

PostPosted: Wed Mar 08, 2017 11:28 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

SGreg wrote:

FWIW I attacked far too hard and blew up for my worst result but it was fun Pretending I was that fast for a bit Laughing

On the footage, when Karl Alexander takes the lead on the bike, he looks like he's doing a VO2 effort, and he paid for it! I bet if the camera wasn't there he might have made T2.
TriSam

PostPosted: Wed Mar 08, 2017 12:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

To be fair to Karl, he's also pulled up about 3 weeks earlier at the Outlaw Half Holkham, where he encountered the same sciatic nerve problems in his back. He mentioned it could have been from carrying around crates of Erdinger, the perils of sponsorship eh? Very Happy
SidSnot

PostPosted: Wed Mar 08, 2017 1:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Jorgan wrote:
SidSnot wrote:
Jorgan wrote:
No posts here for 2 months?! What is going on.

Booked my accommodation on Monday, so another thing sorted. B&B in Cotgrave, so nice and close. I watched the Outlaw coverage on Youtube the other day, and it looks like a good event, and I have to admit, it got me a little excited.

Its a great event, only 19.5 weeks to go.
How's the training going?

Not too bad thanks. I have done a couple of 3h 'zero calorie' rides early on a Sunday, with more planned. A few 10-11 mile runs in Z2, so building a nice solid base. Looking to get outside on the TT bike soon, and staying on it until the event. A few tweaks to my bike equipment, nothing major, but looking for some gains there. I've also been hitting the intervals in the garage & on the Wattbike at work; more than previous years, and I think it's showing benefits, coupled with the long steady rides. Swimming - just staying on the plateau really given my age; looking for 59-60 min on the day.

I'm guessing if I swim to plan (all my wetsuit swims have been 59/60) then it might be fairly lonely for a few miles at the start of the bike in this race?

Good work. I've introduced strength training over the winter, hoping that will pay dividends. My running has been far more consistent this year with much more longer stuff, again hopefully that'll pay off.

Looking at last year there were 40 swims under the hour, so it'll be fairly quiet at the start of the bike. I was out in 52 last year(I go backwards from there) and had a lovely quiet ride.
Jorgan

PostPosted: Wed Mar 08, 2017 2:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Were a lot of the faster swims relays? It does seem a very popular event for teams. Do they get different numbers so you can tell the difference? I've always thought it a bid odd they have the Teams in the main results.
SGreg

PostPosted: Wed Mar 08, 2017 2:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yeah you can pick out the relays, but IMO they are quite annoying/distracting. The number is usually a different colour stripe but you need to be quite close to see. Only really useful for knowing that the runner/rider passing you is a rely and can be ignored.

I would like to see them drop the relay component but as you say its very popular and does contribute quite a bit to their revenue so isn't going to happen .... And I suppose its a little selfish to think that way.

But I have always thought the results should be separate! I always make the effort of working out where I came in the solo standings but its should be clearer IMO.

At least they have changed the race footage as in the early years it was Edited so You would think the relay race was the main event and the solo's were just a side act!
Pedro Peru

PostPosted: Wed Mar 08, 2017 2:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

This is my 1st IM distance race. Accommodation booked, in Nottingham but not far away.

As it's my 1st IM I have no time target. I have done a couple if HIM with the quickest and most recent being 5:15. For the first time in years it feels like I am training rather than exercising regularly.
mw22

PostPosted: Wed Mar 08, 2017 3:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm back in for 2nd time after an 11:29 during the "heatwave" of 2013.

Worrying about complacency and training numbers in comparison are down a bit.
Swims going well - but all short stuff at the minute with the club - hope it translates during the longer sessions.

Bike.. .ticking over would like to be doing a bit more. Looking forward to getting the TT outside once the clocks change.

Run... just like 2013 starting off with achillies issues. Attacked the cause this time though and waiting on some custom orthotics before I get going. Was ticking over at 10 mile runs too frustratingly at the end of 2016!

Still hope to go sub 11... assuming I can run!

Mike
SidSnot

PostPosted: Wed Mar 08, 2017 3:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Jorgan wrote:
Were a lot of the faster swims relays? It does seem a very popular event for teams. Do they get different numbers so you can tell the difference? I've always thought it a bid odd they have the Teams in the main results.

They have different colour hats for the swim.
Of the 40 swims under the hour last year, 8 were relays
Jorgan

PostPosted: Wed Mar 08, 2017 4:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

SidSnot wrote:
Jorgan wrote:

Cool. I'd just like to have a bit of company really. I did the 226 last year, and it was pretty lonely; basically like a catered training ride!
Jorgan

PostPosted: Thu Mar 09, 2017 11:45 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Is there a start list for this anywhere?
Doca

PostPosted: Fri Mar 10, 2017 9:30 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Jorgan wrote:
SidSnot wrote:
Jorgan wrote:

Cool. I'd just like to have a bit of company really. I did the 226 last year, and it was pretty lonely; basically like a catered training ride!

I'm doing the bike leg in a relay team, hopfuly I can keep you company Smile
Wheezy

PostPosted: Fri Mar 10, 2017 9:37 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Cycling has been steady. Three TR sessions a week with a long ride at the weekend. Last two weeks I've got the TT bike out on Saturday just to get adapted to it again before the TT season starts.

Running had been going well up until a month ago. My foot injury flared up so didn't do the Hampton Court half and have not really got back into it since then, but will get back on it next week. Hope everyone else is doing ok and staying injury free.
Jorgan

PostPosted: Fri Mar 10, 2017 10:14 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Doca wrote:

I'm doing the bike leg in a relay team, hopfuly I can keep you company Smile

If you can ride 10m in front of me at 22 mph for 5 hours, then yes, your company would be most welcome Very Happy
Post new topic   Reply to topic    TriTalk.co.uk Forum Index -> Events All times are GMT
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 25, 26, 27  Next
Page 4 of 27

Jump to: