Tri Talk HomepageTri Talk EventsTri Talk ForumsBlogsTri Talk TrainingTri TradeTriPlayerWikiTeam Tri Talk
Triathlon de Mont Blanc, passy

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Bison11

PostPosted: Sun Sep 04, 2016 10:05 am    Post subject: Triathlon de Mont Blanc, passy Reply with quote

Has anyone on here done the half ironman distance event? I am thinking about this for 2017. I've done ADH short course a few times and a couple of other HIM's (including Wimbleball). I thought I might do the long course at ADH but realised after this years short course it might be a step too far. This event seems like a good step up but more achievable than ADH long course. It's also a lot more convenient as I am based in Chamonix in the summer.

I couldn't actually find the dates, but assume it's mid August again.

Thanks
mkhalliwell

PostPosted: Wed Sep 07, 2016 8:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I am also thinking of this for next year and just starting some initial research. What I would say though is that if you can manage the short course at ADH, you can manage the long course. Seems a strange comment, but I have done both on a number of occasions and you simply ride the long course slower. The first two climbs in the long course are actually pretty easy, so as long as you can do the miles on the bike, you will be fine. Personally I think ADH has this mythical status, but it ain't actually that hard.

I was speaking to a girl at the Helvellyn Tri at the weekend who had just done Mont Blanc and said it was one of the best ones she has ever done, so it is on my radar for next year now.
Bison11

PostPosted: Wed Sep 07, 2016 8:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for your response.

The main difference to me seemed to be 20k less on the bike at MB, plus it's not a mountain top finish so will feel shorter again. I also like the idea of a flatter run in the valley than a hilly one at altitude.

Maybe if this goes ok I'll think again about ADH. I just thought the heat this year was brutal (and ADH is very exposed), and if I had that heat on the long course I would have thought a DNS is a high probability

I am also hoping for less biff on the swim which seems to get worse each year at ADH.

Maybe see you at Passey
mkhalliwell

PostPosted: Wed Sep 07, 2016 10:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I hope to see you there. If it fits in my schedule it has the makings of being my A race next year.

You make some fair points about ADH, although don't forget that if you have two more climbs, you also have two more descents, so 10-15 km of the extra distance could be freewheeling!!!!!!.

Always got to think 'Glass half full'!!!!!

No doubt we will converse more (if I can convince my wife that extending our holiday in Annecy by a few more days is a good idea). As an aside, I did the Triathlon De Gerardmer last year and having done ADH long, The full Brutal, and a number of other extreme triathlons, this one was THE best day I have ever spent in triathlon. 8000ft of climbing on the bike ON COMPLETELY CLOSED ROADS!!!!!, a crystal clear swim with a 200 m Australian exit and a lovely run around the lake made for a truly amazing experience. The organisation was second to none. I can highly recommend it. The only bad thing is, I will never do it again, becuase it can't possibly be as good the second time around. Worth considering if you are looking for a tough half. It goes completely under the radar. In fact I was the only Brit out of about 800 competitors, so was treated like royalty.
Bison11

PostPosted: Thu Sep 08, 2016 7:36 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

If you don't mind me asking. What kind of times did you do at ADH LC and SC? Just trying to put your comments into context - I suspect you may be a little further up the field and therefore not find it so daunting! I have done SC 4 times and this year was 3.07 - should have been a bit quicker but the heat made it really tough - which was what put me off the LC. There was no enjoyment on the bike! At my level MB will still be a real challenge but more achievable - so really up for it.

Just need to wait for the details to come out.
Andy916

PostPosted: Thu Sep 08, 2016 1:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Don't know about TdMB, but I'm doing the Montriond-Chamonix 228km on Saturday https://www.evergreen-endurance.com/en/welcome/

Spectacular course, and I'm expecting it to be a significant step up from the Lake District TriathlonX. Organisers seem really efficient, it's grown enormously for its 2nd year of running, and there are 118 and 58km distances too. Slightly nervous but really looking forward to it; will report back next week...
Bison11

PostPosted: Thu Sep 08, 2016 1:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Good luck Andy

Will be interesting to hear how it goes.
mkhalliwell

PostPosted: Thu Sep 08, 2016 7:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Bison11 wrote:
If you don't mind me asking. What kind of times did you do at ADH LC and SC? Just trying to put your comments into context - I suspect you may be a little further up the field and therefore not find it so daunting! I have done SC 4 times and this year was 3.07 - should have been a bit quicker but the heat made it really tough - which was what put me off the LC. There was no enjoyment on the bike! At my level MB will still be a real challenge but more achievable - so really up for it.

Just need to wait for the details to come out.

Not at all. My averages for the short course are about 3.15 and long is just under 10 hours. Here's the thing. I do these kind of events to complete them rather than worry about my times. The reason it took me a while to respond is that I genuinely couldn't remember my times and I had to search the results online, although I have some great memories, which is way more important in my opinion. Maybe I could go half an hour quicker but I wouldn't enjoy the day as much.

So I stand by my comment - If you fancy having a crack at it - Just do it.
Bison11

PostPosted: Fri Sep 09, 2016 10:05 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Great philosophy. I am definitely in for TdMB - maybe ADH LC the year after!

Just need to keep an eye open for entry details.
Bison11

PostPosted: Tue Jan 03, 2017 5:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Just entered this. Very excited. The HIM is on 27/8. Bargain at 95.

Anyone else doing it?
iainm

PostPosted: Sat Jan 28, 2017 3:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've raced the shorter distance 3 times now and can thoroughly recommend. Great fun race, although the beach start led to some early argy-bargy in the water. Great set up views and location. Nice to run on the flat after the bike too..
Bison11

PostPosted: Thu Jun 29, 2017 4:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

A couple of questions.

Anyone out there in the 2 weeks before the race and fancy riding the bike route (long course)?

Does everyone do the swim in wetsuits. I know its a lake - so in august - I doubt its that cold.

Getting excited about this now.
iainm

PostPosted: Sat Jul 01, 2017 5:58 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Most people wore wetsuits, but you're right, the lake can get very warm and you probably don't need to. For me, I take the buoyancy and speed gain in the water over the extra time needed in T1
Bison11

PostPosted: Mon Aug 28, 2017 2:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Just to say, I thought this was a fantastic event. Quite small, good atmosphere, stunning location and logistics are very straightforward. Loads of places to stay nearby and easy to recce the course. Nice hot tub and massage to finish up - all for under 100. Also great for spectators to hang around at the lake for the day. I'll hopefully be back next year!
Post new topic   Reply to topic    TriTalk.co.uk Forum Index -> Events All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: