Tri Talk HomepageTri Talk EventsTri Talk ForumsBlogsTri Talk TrainingTri TradeTriPlayerWikiTeam Tri Talk
Ironman Wales 2017 - 10th September 2017
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, ... 21, 22, 23  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
SGreg

PostPosted: Wed Sep 21, 2016 10:35 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Not actually Signed up yet. But made the decision, and cleared it with the Wifey!

I normally try and Pick a destination race so we can have a holiday as well but She is fed up with all the faff involved in that, so Just doing Tenby then flying off somewhere afterwards.

Will sign up sometime before the price increase, no rush....it doesn't sell out right ?
Jorgan

PostPosted: Wed Sep 21, 2016 10:43 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I haven't done the race, but we visited Tenby on the way back from Broadhaven one year, and I was very pleasantly surprised. Tenby is a lovely town with some striking geography; they picked a great location, so it is a 'destination' to race at by UK standards.

Still waiting for Ironman Scotland to be announced though. The web domain was purchased years ago, but I wonder if WTC have had issues getting traction with the local authorities etc up there, as they don't always have success in that regard. The other issue with Scotland is that the beautiful bits don't have many roads.

I digress. Tenby is a striking place, and the crowds look mega.
TRO Saracen

PostPosted: Wed Sep 21, 2016 11:29 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Suspect another issue with Scotland would be finding a destination that wants visitors, has an 'off season' which Ironman could fill while but still having a swim warm enough to take place with some degree of certainty.
t1mmy

PostPosted: Wed Sep 21, 2016 12:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm in and accommodation is booked. Roll on next September
WhittleFit

PostPosted: Thu Sep 22, 2016 8:51 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Bit of advice, if you sign up for IM Wales book your accommodation ASAP, don't mess around and hope you'll get something later. All the good accommodation will be good within a few weeks. Cool
WhittleFit

PostPosted: Thu Sep 22, 2016 8:53 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

hammerer wrote:
I'm in, Kiln Park booked. Been on the radar since that first year. The plan is to actually train for an Ironman but get back to me in about 11 months on that.

Kiln Park is a good spot as you can walk out the back of the site and take a short cut up to the transition area. Good choice!
hammerer

PostPosted: Thu Sep 22, 2016 10:39 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

WhittleFit wrote:
hammerer wrote:
I'm in, Kiln Park booked. Been on the radar since that first year. The plan is to actually train for an Ironman but get back to me in about 11 months on that.

Kiln Park is a good spot as you can walk out the back of the site and take a short cut up to the transition area. Good choice!

and it has a pool to keep an 8 year old happy during some of the day if the weather's poor! Cool Although that depends if they come with me as it is first week back at school.
SGreg

PostPosted: Thu Sep 22, 2016 11:07 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Any more suggestions for accommodation ???
GingerPrince

PostPosted: Thu Sep 22, 2016 11:34 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm booked in for the race, and also staying at Kiln park This'll be my 1st Ironman and I'm crapping it already! Very Happy
TSH

PostPosted: Thu Sep 22, 2016 11:45 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

WhittleFit wrote:
TSH wrote:
Hmmmmmmm. They can't both be on the same weekend, maybe Weymouth will take up the 'week later' slot?

Or revert to a 70.3 race only

Thought about this on the weekend - IMWales was on an earlier date last year and in 2012. It has to switch weeks to match with the high tides. If IMWales was a week later, the tide would be (about) 7 hours out ie, fully out and just turning to come back in. So, they had to swap it with Weymouth and likely will have to rotate every other year. I had a lot of thinking time on the jog Smile
Alan A

PostPosted: Thu Sep 22, 2016 12:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Jorgan wrote:
I haven't done the race, but we visited Tenby on the way back from Broadhaven one year, and I was very pleasantly surprised. Tenby is a lovely town with some striking geography; they picked a great location, so it is a 'destination' to race at by UK standards.

Still waiting for Ironman Scotland to be announced though. The web domain was purchased years ago, but I wonder if WTC have had issues getting traction with the local authorities etc up there, as they don't always have success in that regard. The other issue with Scotland is that the beautiful bits don't have many roads.

I am working on it.

Here's part one - https://munromantri.wordpress.com/

The slightly easier part 2 will be announced next week - keep 17th Sept free.

https://arrantriathlon.wordpress.com/

3 Pistes Cycle

http://3pistescycle.co.uk
Jorgan

PostPosted: Thu Sep 22, 2016 1:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Alan A wrote:
Jorgan wrote:

I am working on it.

Here's part one - https://munromantri.wordpress.com/

The slightly easier part 2 will be announced next week - keep 17th Sept free.

I was thinking of an Ironman in Scotland that didn't make Tenby look like a walk in the park! There's already Celtman if you want an 'extreme' Iron.

An 'Ironman' in Scotland would draw big numbers, but I'm not sure the roads would support 2000 competitors in the areas I'm thinking of. Although the Etape seems to manage, but that's not western side e.g. Lomond/Trossachs/Inverary etc

I have visions of riding along the shores of lochs, rather than over ski areas or that c* of a hill behind Faslane Wink (which I've only run down after running through the Glen). The Rest and be Thankful both ways (once!) would be okay I think.
Chrace

PostPosted: Thu Sep 22, 2016 2:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sounds good Alan, a plan is hatching:

June: X (England)
July: MunroMan (Scotland)
September: Brutal (Wales)

Was considering Norseman or Celtman but the support crew stuff is tricky for a Billy loner like me.
Hodge0007

PostPosted: Thu Sep 22, 2016 8:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

SGreg wrote:
Any more suggestions for accommodation ???

I have just done this years race, stayed at the Glenthorne Guesthouse in Tenby which was excellent!! 5 mins from registration, 5 mins from transition..... so close that i put my wetsuit on in my room!! Very Happy

Owners were excellent and laid on a 4:30am breakfast to suit your needs!

Prior Planning & Preparation Prevent Piss Poor Performance....

Http://Hodgetriathlonjourney.blogspot.com/
SGreg

PostPosted: Fri Sep 23, 2016 9:44 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Decided to go for one of the "few" remaining Kiln Park Caravans, seems pretty decent location...

...Just need to enter now, oh and do a bit of exercise over the next 12months Laughing
Post new topic   Reply to topic    TriTalk.co.uk Forum Index -> Events All times are GMT
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, ... 21, 22, 23  Next
Page 2 of 23

Jump to: