Tri Talk HomepageTri Talk EventsTri Talk ForumsBlogsTri Talk TrainingTri TradeTriPlayerWikiTeam Tri Talk
Ironman Wales 2017 - 10th September 2017
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 7, 8, 9 ... 21, 22, 23  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
TRO Saracen

PostPosted: Thu Aug 03, 2017 9:39 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Special race, almost regret that 70.3 World's means that I can't race it this year (especially with the extra KQ slots dropped in....).

Already entered Long Course 2018 and will be entering the race next year as well - will be my 4th.

Had really nice swims, and the horror swim of 2014, bike is always tough.

Run I have always gone well at Tenby, race breaks up into nice sections for me which makes it really easy. Big uphill slog, with the boost of the lap band at the top, nice trundle downhill, glory run though town with phenomenal support, repeat x 4...

Enjoy you lucky b$%^&ús....

Oi knee, do one....
Ex-Squaddie59

PostPosted: Sun Aug 06, 2017 7:50 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

We are now 5 weeks till blast off..!! My training has eased off, due to IM UK and the fact I feel knackered. Done very little for 3 weeks, but now feel rested and good to go. I will be starting the final bits tomorrow and then tapering beginning of Sept.

I'm hoping, praying, wishing for a better swim than 14 & 15 they were choppy, got seasick on lap 2 in 15.

Random question time from me.

Other than your mega old smelly trainers, what are people planning to have in the purple bag from the zig zags to T1?

Myself, a bottle of water to wash my feet and a small microfibre towel.

Just being nosey and seeing what other good ideas are out there..!!

Stay safe and stay injury free, see you in Tenby Embarassed Sprint
FatPom

PostPosted: Sun Aug 06, 2017 11:15 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ex-Squaddie59 wrote:
We are now 5 weeks till blast off..!! My training has eased off, due to IM UK and the fact I feel knackered. Done very little for 3 weeks, but now feel rested and good to go. I will be starting the final bits tomorrow and then tapering beginning of Sept.

I'm hoping, praying, wishing for a better swim than 14 & 15 they were choppy, got seasick on lap 2 in 15.

Random question time from me.

Other than your mega old smelly trainers, what are people planning to have in the purple bag from the zig zags to T1?

Myself, a bottle of water to wash my feet and a small microfibre towel.

Just being nosey and seeing what other good ideas are out there..!!

Stay safe and stay injury free, see you in Tenby Embarassed Sprint

Well I never got to use mine because I was hauled off to hospital but I had old trainers, bottle of water, a small cloth and a gel. What's the SOP for most, wettie completely off or run with it stripped to the waist?

Re the sea, rougher the better for me Smile
FatPom

PostPosted: Sun Aug 06, 2017 11:21 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Starting to worry about my hip, second LSD run cut short this morning due to pain in right hip, it's fine up until about 80mins ( using 8min on 2 min off).

5 weeks to is the kind of 'twighlight zone' between 'do I rest it' and 'can I fix it'? Ugh.
t1mmy

PostPosted: Sun Aug 06, 2017 2:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The only other thing I was planning to have in the bag above and beyond what has already been mentioned is some coke (the drink). I think it'll help kill off any bugs and can help settle the stomach.

Re. the wetsuit. My plan is to strip it down to the waist; the residents of Tenby don't need to see a nearly naked me running through the streets at that time in the morning . I plan to put on my dry trisuit in transition as frankly the extra 1-2 minutes are going to make no difference to my day, but being piss wet through getting on the bike would do!
t1mmy

PostPosted: Sun Aug 06, 2017 2:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

FatPom wrote:
Starting to worry about my hip, second LSD run cut short this morning due to pain in right hip, it's fine up until about 80mins ( using 8min on 2 min off).

5 weeks to is the kind of 'twighlight zone' between 'do I rest it' and 'can I fix it'? Ugh.

Personally I'd just rest it and train for the other 2 disciplines. It'll either be ok on the day or a bit of a death march. You'll have a bit of a better idea though. Maybe rest it for a couple of weeks and give it a go again.
FatPom

PostPosted: Sun Aug 06, 2017 3:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

t1mmy wrote:
FatPom wrote:

Personally I'd just rest it and train for the other 2 disciplines. It'll either be ok on the day or a bit of a death march. You'll have a bit of a better idea though. Maybe rest it for a couple of weeks and give it a go again.

Yeah good point, although it'll be a death march even without the bad hip. Very Happy
Ex-Squaddie59

PostPosted: Sun Aug 06, 2017 4:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

My wetsuit will be coming off from the zig zags to T1, if the weather is ok my trisuit should dry quickly and the time I plan to spend in T1 will also assist in this. I will be packing another towel in my swim to bike bag to stand on in T1 and also dry myself a little.

I will also be wearing my compressort arm sleeve things on under my wetsuit, less faffing for me in T1, that said I'm planning on about 7-8 mins in total and that includes the run through town.

I just want to ensure all the sand is gone before I put my socks on for the bike.

With regards to your hip FP, I had a massive issue last year with my hip at the Outlaw and for the first time ever I had to walk/run. I found out later my seat post was too high, my fault as I raised it about 2inches. Since lowering it back to the correct position from my bike fit there has been no issues (touches wood). So possibly have a look at the height of your seat post, you never know.

As mentioned rest will be key, so DON'T run. if there's no pain when swimming or cycling stick to those for a few weeks and try a run later on.

Also try stretching the area and my nemesis the foam roller. Have a look at the following.

http://workoutlabs.com/exercise-guide/gluteus-glute-gluteal-stretch/

to increase the stretch bring your head towards your knees..!!

Hope the link works..!!
FatPom

PostPosted: Sun Aug 06, 2017 6:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ex-Squaddie- huge thanks for that mate Cool

Yeah I'm hearing you on the 'rest', it's so hard because I had a back strain (between back and hip but on the left rather than right) a few weeks before Tenby LCW, so I lost 9 days then, just at the point I should have getting into my 90-120 min runs.

I finished LCW which has been a good boost but my run is definitely lagging. On the other hand, I never thought I'd be able to do an IM again, so I'm grateful for what I get can get out of life these days Smile

My contract ends next week, so I will have time to concentrate more on strength and conditioning. I was doing well with this but must admit to no having been as diligent with it since LCW. Definitely will up the swimming in place of running, an attempt to show some patience!

Re the saddle height, don't think that's the issue. I had a proper fit for my new TT bike this year and since then have gone to shorter cranks (172.5 to 165) but I raised my saddle only 3mm, so in theory I have shortened the leg extension if anything.
SGreg

PostPosted: Mon Aug 07, 2017 8:34 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

95miles of undulating hilly hell this weekend!

Went well apart from a few mechanical issues until the last 15 miles which are on the most bleak depressing miserable roads I know. and I got hit by a huge squall, so high winds, rain/hail with 80miles in the legs meant for lots of swearing.

But that 1 of 2 very long bike ticked off, one more to go.

Them a HM at race pace (maybe a bit under) the day after. All after a very hard week. That finishes off my second to last build block, so rest week then final build until Taper.

Getting close!

Also been 3 weeks off the sauce, which I intend to keep up until the 11th September!

My legs are in complete bits today though, I'm going to enjoy my rest week.

As for the purple bag question....It's 5 weeks away I'll sort that the day before!
spraggz

PostPosted: Mon Aug 07, 2017 9:56 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Just back from a little weekend jaunt to Tenby. My first experience of the bike course - blimey! Still trying to work out if I'd rather not have known what I was facing..

I don't think the run is too bad, like others said it's more of a gradual climb and you do get nice periods of downhill as well.

Would love the swim to be as flat as it was Sunday morning - it was beautiful!

Can't believe there is less than 5 weeks to go..
SGreg

PostPosted: Mon Aug 07, 2017 10:54 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

spraggz wrote:
Just back from a little weekend jaunt to Tenby. My first experience of the bike course - blimey! Still trying to work out if I'd rather not have known what I was facing..

Well That's reassuring ! Laughing

What part of the course did you do?
FatPom

PostPosted: Mon Aug 07, 2017 11:25 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

SGreg, Nice work mate, sounds like it's coming together well for you Cool

Spraggz, don't worry about the bike course. You will laugh off the second time up Wiseman's Bridge (just not at the time! Very Happy )
t1mmy

PostPosted: Mon Aug 07, 2017 12:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm adopting an ignorance is bliss approach to the bike course. The hills will have to be got over no matter what, I'd rather just know they're there but find out on the day!
SGreg

PostPosted: Mon Aug 07, 2017 1:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

t1mmy wrote:
I'm adopting an ignorance is bliss approach to the bike course. The hills will have to be got over no matter what, I'd rather just know they're there but find out on the day!

Where a I am micro analysing them in microscopic detail.

I have the entire course profile memorised and searched for local analogues for every climb.

TBH it's driven me quite crazy and is completely pointless. I won't know what they are like till I start pedalling up them...But I can't stop pawing over the profile!

I just can't figure out how hard its going to be, It really looks pretty easy to me, but I've heard enough horror stories to not get complacent about it!
Post new topic   Reply to topic    TriTalk.co.uk Forum Index -> Events All times are GMT
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 7, 8, 9 ... 21, 22, 23  Next
Page 8 of 23

Jump to: