Tri Talk HomepageTri Talk EventsTri Talk ForumsBlogsTri Talk TrainingTri TradeTriPlayerWikiTeam Tri Talk
Ironman Wales 2017 - 10th September 2017
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 8, 9, 10 ... 21, 22, 23  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
scott b

PostPosted: Mon Aug 07, 2017 6:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

spraggz wrote:
Just back from a little weekend jaunt to Tenby. My first experience of the bike course - blimey! Still trying to work out if I'd rather not have known what I was facing..

I don't think the run is too bad, like others said it's more of a gradual climb and you do get nice periods of downhill as well.

Would love the swim to be as flat as it was Sunday morning - it was beautiful!

Can't believe there is less than 5 weeks to go..

Road bike or TT? I was pretty positive I was taking my road bike however after a good few hrs on it at outlaw I'm having second thoughts. Confused
FatPom

PostPosted: Mon Aug 07, 2017 7:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

scott b wrote:
spraggz wrote:
Just back from a little weekend jaunt to Tenby. My first experience of the bike course - blimey! Still trying to work out if I'd rather not have known what I was facing..

I don't think the run is too bad, like others said it's more of a gradual climb and you do get nice periods of downhill as well.

Road bike or TT? I was pretty positive I was taking my road bike however after a good few hrs on it at outlaw I'm having second thoughts. Confused

I am the world's worst climber and didn't find any issue on my P3 with 36/28 . (I am 81kgs) at LCW this year. At LCW 2 yrs ago, I did it with a road bike and clip ons (34/29). I think I liked it on the TT bike more.
scott b

PostPosted: Tue Aug 08, 2017 7:05 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

FatPom wrote:
scott b wrote:
spraggz wrote:

I am the world's worst climber and didn't find any issue on my P3 with 36/28 . (I am 81kgs) at LCW this year. At LCW 2 yrs ago, I did it with a road bike and clip ons (34/29). I think I liked it on the TT bike more.

Thanks FP. Im a similar weight, don't mind climbing on the road bike but the p2 just seems like hard work, admittedly on a 39/25. Will take her out this weekend and try a few more climbs and see how I get on.
SGreg

PostPosted: Tue Aug 08, 2017 8:25 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

scott b wrote:
FatPom wrote:
scott b wrote:
spraggz wrote:

Thanks FP. Im a similar weight, don't mind climbing on the road bike but the p2 just seems like hard work, admittedly on a 39/25. Will take her out this weekend and try a few more climbs and see how I get on.

OWW !!!!

I would not consider 39/25 on this course! unless you are a VERY strong Biker and even then its pretty silly.

I've gone with 36/28 and still unsure if that's enough for the final few climbs. But if not I'm so goosed I don't really care.

39/25 on some of the gradients suggested sounds like suicide! While the Hills are not all that long they are certainly Steep in places.

While I am going TT and see no real reason not to I would only do it if I could get the gearing right down. which I have.
hammerer

PostPosted: Tue Aug 08, 2017 11:45 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

i have 39/28. Used this for Bastion a few years back which looks a far tougher bike course. I am 10kilos overweight now and far less fit though, but I have little choice as I have a 130BCD chainset and am not buying a new one for one race.
t1mmy

PostPosted: Tue Aug 08, 2017 11:50 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have 39/25, hopefully the fact I'm built like a lanky stick will work in my favour. Feel free to offer me encouragement if you pass me on any of the hills!
SGreg

PostPosted: Tue Aug 08, 2017 12:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm around 84KG ...hopefully 82 for race, and I am finding all my local Hill Climb PB's have been tumbling since the swap to 28 on the rear.

It just doesn't make a great deal of sense to grind away slowly because you have the wrong gears.

That said I wouldn't buy a new Chainset for a new race Either just make sure I have the smallest on the back possible. 25 dose not seem a good plan to me!

That said after 3 month of hill training the guy I'm racing with asked if I could have a look at his bike as his front derailleur had stopped working. Turns out he's been grinding away in the peak district on a 50-26 minimum gear so there is hope for us all Laughing
FatPom

PostPosted: Tue Aug 08, 2017 1:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

[quote="scott b
Thanks FP. Im a similar weight, don't mind climbing on the road bike but the p2 just seems like hard work, admittedly on a 39/25. Will take her out this weekend and try a few more climbs and see how I get on.[/quote]

Ooh, no, I couldn't go with that, I'd be walking as soon as the Angle climb Exclamation
FatPom

PostPosted: Tue Aug 08, 2017 1:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Whatís the go with Special Needs on the bike. Save for one bar in my trisuit and some salt tabs, all my nutrition is bottle based (decanted gels). At LCW I had all this in one bottle on the down tube and used a BTA for water. Iíve done this before but at races that didnít have special needs. Iím thinking for this race I will have a smaller bottle on the downtube with half the gels in and replace at SN, instead of hauling the weight. Also gives me a safety net if one happens to go flying.

Iím assuming itís a fairly swift process?

Bike isnít set up for three bottles, so donít suggest that.
Wink
scott b

PostPosted: Tue Aug 08, 2017 6:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

FatPom wrote:

Ooh, no, I couldn't go with that, I'd be walking as soon as the Angle climb Exclamation

Haha, thanks for the advice guys, if I was gonna take the p2 id be swapping to a 36/28.
SGreg

PostPosted: Wed Aug 09, 2017 9:03 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

scott b wrote:
FatPom wrote:

Haha, thanks for the advice guys, if I was gonna take the p2 id be swapping to a 36/28.

Go with the TT then, the first 40miles are flat(ish) Having a TT for that will offset any climbing disadvantage IMO
FatPom

PostPosted: Wed Aug 09, 2017 9:47 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

SGreg wrote:
scott b wrote:
FatPom wrote:

Go with the TT then, the first 40miles are flat(ish) Having a TT for that will offset any climbing disadvantage IMO

Agreed. If it's any help, at LCW I rode the bike section with the mindset that I had to run after, IM stylee. I didn't draft on purpose (there was some bunching). I don't have a PM or Garmin, I do everything on RPE but one thing that really helped regulating the pace was staying aero and spinning on the drag type hills. I could have powered up them and burnt more matches but for me, this tactic really helped.

The first section is pretty fast but don't be tempted to burn matches climbing out of Tenby. It's easy to do and you'll pay for it later.
Ex-Squaddie59

PostPosted: Wed Aug 09, 2017 5:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm reading with interest peoples thoughts and decisions about gear ratio's and nutrition. I've got a 54-39 on the front and an 11-28 on the rear. It's all I've got and it will do. I'm currently 90kgs and 6ft 3, so for me the hills will be a slow spin and the flats/downhills will be where I make up for it...Fat Lad down hill..!!

I will be using the trusty Trek Speed Concept for this event as I feel a TT bike will give better results for less power used (I hope)

like FatPom I will decant my gels into a 500ml bottle (High 5 IsoGels about 11) to go in the rear bottle holder. This will negate the need to open on the fly and reduce the risk of littering and a DQ. On the down tube I have a refillable Speedfil bottle and a straw to my aero bars.

As for bars I will be taking 6 High 5 bars and 2 Truestart bars. 4 of these bars will be in the bento box and the remainder in my trisuit. I will also have a bag of PowerBar Shots (cola) in my T1 bag which I may take to chew on. Last time I did IM Wales I collected half a powerbar in Angle and found grit in it. Obviously the marshall had dropped it No, But these things happen.

This set up has worked for me in the past and most recently at Bolton, the weight isn't to much of an issue for me as I'm a bit big anyway haha.

As for the hills Saundersfoot is great when everyone is cheering you up it, Wisemans for me is turning squares on both loops. it a nasty little hill, not forgetting the last little climb into Tenby. I dislike hills with a passion..!!
kevb

PostPosted: Thu Aug 10, 2017 11:40 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Which sections of the bike are 'closed roads'? Just looked at the race pack and nothing mentioned, if there are closed sections are you allowed to use the full width of the road?
D4SH

PostPosted: Thu Aug 10, 2017 1:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

We are staying up at Bluestone (about half an hour drive from Tenby) - how hard would it be to find a parking space on race morning or is it just simpler to use the Park and Ride?
Post new topic   Reply to topic    TriTalk.co.uk Forum Index -> Events All times are GMT
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 8, 9, 10 ... 21, 22, 23  Next
Page 9 of 23

Jump to: