Tri Talk HomepageTri Talk EventsTri Talk ForumsBlogsTri Talk TrainingTri TradeTriPlayerWikiTeam Tri Talk
Ironman Wales 2017 - 10th September 2017
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 19, 20, 21, 22, 23  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
gingerbongo

PostPosted: Sun Sep 10, 2017 3:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Cam wurf
PCP

PostPosted: Sun Sep 10, 2017 4:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Edit: all on the run and some nearly done.

Mark Laithwaite of The Endurance Store & Epic Events went 10:44 and 5th in AG
t1mmy

PostPosted: Sun Sep 10, 2017 11:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I did it!

The weather on the bike was savage. Had an amazing and really tough day, will write a report soon.

How did everyone else find it?
FatPom

PostPosted: Mon Sep 11, 2017 5:56 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Who wants to buy a bike? Very Happy

My strongest leg turned into my worst yesterday. That was sketch as all get out on the 56 P3 with 404s. Saw two two guys down. Both in front of me.

First tri I have done where aid stations became like refuge points. Space blankets and DNFs everywhere.

15.44.50 for me. A time to forget but definitely a day to remember Exclamation
SGreg

PostPosted: Mon Sep 11, 2017 7:16 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Not sure what the fuss was about, it was breezy but nothing untoward ..... Laughing

7 ironmans and I have never experienced anything close to that utterly utterly utterly brutal

Rain was just soul destroying and lethal on the decents especially with carbon brakes and fogged glasses. And the wind made you wish you had never been born. Like others saw a few poor sods on the deck Sad

Run was ok as the sky's cleared a little and the gusts only tried to blow you off your feet a few times. But there wasn't much left in the heart or the legs by then. Just finishing the bike took all I had.

Target was sub 12 so considering what was thrown at us 12:42 makes me a very happy ironman

As for the swim that couldn't have been better. The chop got up a bit for lap two but not terribly so and I'm of the impression we got one of jorgans rip currents only it was favourable. The long back straight just sailed by I'm positive we were being pushed along.

Hope everyone here made it back ok. Any finish in those conditions is incredible.
SGreg

PostPosted: Mon Sep 11, 2017 7:20 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Oh anyone know what the oil was about ? Accident or sabotage ?
nochekmate

PostPosted: Mon Sep 11, 2017 7:37 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Such a tough tough day. Swim was ok - 34 mins for first lap but then suffered bouts of cramp on the second lap to do 1:12. The bike leg (which is ordinarily my forte) was savage. The crosswinds at Angle nearly took me off the road on a couple of occasions - scary stuff. Generally the descents were a nightmare - greasy road surfaces, leaves & tree debris & even oil patches - saw a fair few people who had stacked their bikes. Compact chainset and 30T cassette and I needed it all - 6:40. Had to work so hard on the bike that I had no legs for the run. Couldn't even manage the hills on lap 1 - walked the hills and ran the downhills for 5:01 & a finishing time of 13:11 (was hoping for around 12 hours).

Iconic event and amazing support but once will be enough.
Flee

PostPosted: Mon Sep 11, 2017 7:39 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi guys,

My first ever IM yesterday, and what a race to pick!

Like everyone said, the conditions where atrocious, but I actually did great on the bike. That run course though... Who thought that up!

The crowds at Saundersfoot will never be forgotten and the atmosphere running through Tenby was electric.

Was aiming for sub 13 and got 12:05. Very happy.

Well done to everyone 💪
Tin Pot

PostPosted: Mon Sep 11, 2017 7:42 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

SGreg wrote:
Not sure what the fuss was about, it was breezy but nothing untoward ..... Laughing

7 ironmans and I have never experienced anything close to that utterly utterly utterly brutal

Rain was just soul destroying and lethal on the decents especially with carbon brakes and fogged glasses. And the wind made you wish you had never been born. Like others saw a few poor sods on the deck Sad

Run was ok as the sky's cleared a little and the gusts only tried to blow you off your feet a few times. But there wasn't much left in the heart or the legs by then. Just finishing the bike took all I had.

Target was sub 12 so considering what was thrown at us 12:42 makes me a very happy ironman

As for the swim that couldn't have been better. The chop got up a bit for lap two but not terribly so and I'm of the impression we got one of jorgans rip currents only it was favourable. The long back straight just sailed by I'm positive we were being pushed along.

Hope everyone here made it back ok. Any finish in those conditions is incredible.

Sounds hilarious - signed up for next year yet? Laughing

Well done.
Sprint '16 1h17, '14 1h40, '13 2h01
Half Mara '16 2h04, '14 2h07
10 Mile TT '16 00:26:30
Trail 10K '16 54:01 '13 54:46
Ex-Squaddie59

PostPosted: Mon Sep 11, 2017 7:52 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I agree with everything said above. The bike was brutal, but I stuck to my plan and got round in 6:30Hrs. Managed to get a puncture at the 92 mile point, took about 10 mins to sort as fingers didn't want to work. Had to use my teeth to get the tyre back on the rim 😁. The swim is the best I've ever had in Tenby 1:10 and mega chuffed. Didn't see a single jellyfish, saying that I didn't even see the big trawler on the way to the lifeboat station until I nearly swam into it 😂😂

The run as ever was hard, again at times the wind was gusting big time. Overall I aimed for 12Hrs and considering the conditions I managed 11:53, a PB by 11 mins. How I managed that I don't know. I've never done anything as hard as that. That's IM Wales done 3 times now and I've booked the Premier Inn already for next year.

Well done everyone, a tough tough day in the office. 🏊🏻💨💨💨🚴🏻💨💨🏃🏼
fat buddha

PostPosted: Mon Sep 11, 2017 8:04 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

SGreg wrote:
Oh anyone know what the oil was about ? Accident or sabotage ?

sabotage according to one of the Officials I know who was there yesterday. some grumpy locals by the sound of it, but how bloody dangerous is putting diesel and cooking oil over the road?? if I recall, there were tacks early on in the bike course in 2011 which caught a few pros out before they got cleared off the road.

a great shame really as generally Tenby and the surrounding area really embraces IMW but you can't seem to please everyone.
SidSnot

PostPosted: Mon Sep 11, 2017 8:18 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Russ Cox quick off the draw with the results analysis

http://www.coachcox.co.uk/2017/09/11/ironman-wales-2017-age-group-results-kona-qualification/
t1mmy

PostPosted: Mon Sep 11, 2017 8:21 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The oil on the road was on the really fast descent into Wisemans! I heard from someone else that they had the fire brigade out pretty sharpish and they blasted it away and there was sand put on it. It was really well dealt with as it was also coned off with makeshift signs and locals slowing you down.
Jorgan

PostPosted: Mon Sep 11, 2017 8:56 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Friend of mine took a heavy fall & DNFd, not sure if it was the diesel.

Big well done to everyone who finished that! Good to see "Locco" toughed it out to the end for a coveted finish in those conditions, the Aussie in him stayed at home yesterday Wink Very Happy Laughing
PCP

PostPosted: Mon Sep 11, 2017 9:19 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

FatPom wrote:
Who wants to buy a bike? Very Happy

My strongest leg turned into my worst yesterday. That was sketch as all get out on the 56 P3 with 404s. Saw two two guys down. Both in front of me.

First tri I have done where aid stations became like refuge points. Space blankets and DNFs everywhere.

15.44.50 for me. A time to forget but definitely a day to remember Exclamation

I edited my post coz originally I posted you had DNF'd at the end of the bike then you popped up on the run!
Post new topic   Reply to topic    TriTalk.co.uk Forum Index -> Events All times are GMT
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 19, 20, 21, 22, 23  Next
Page 20 of 23

Jump to: