Tri Talk HomepageTri Talk EventsTri Talk ForumsBlogsTri Talk TrainingTri TradeTriPlayerWikiTeam Tri Talk
Ironman Wales 2017 - 10th September 2017
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 20, 21, 22, 23  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Tri'ing Swimmer

PostPosted: Mon Sep 11, 2017 1:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Was working yesterday afternoon for a radiology company, doctors from local hospital to Tenby ordered a few trauma CTs for athletes who had come off on bike. I didnt see any with urgent findings thankfully, but not surprised to hear of crashes if rain/oil on descents.
FatPom

PostPosted: Mon Sep 11, 2017 2:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

PCP wrote:
FatPom wrote:
Who wants to buy a bike? Very Happy

My strongest leg turned into my worst yesterday. That was sketch as all get out on the 56 P3 with 404s. Saw two two guys down. Both in front of me.

First tri I have done where aid stations became like refuge points. Space blankets and DNFs everywhere.

15.44.50 for me. A time to forget but definitely a day to remember Exclamation

I edited my post coz originally I posted you had DNF'd at the end of the bike then you popped up on the run!

That's weird because the guys in Oz were following me and one thought I'd DNF Confused

Anyway, DNF has a different meaning now, if you're thinking of entering next year- Do Not Forget. Very Happy
Bodge

PostPosted: Mon Sep 11, 2017 3:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I had a steady swim, coz that's all I can do.

Paced the bike well given the conditions.

Somehow managed to put in a decent run to finish in 14:26, which given I was aiming to dip under 15 hours I'm reet happy with.

I took ages in transitions too having a full change into cycle gear and run gear, but I'm not going to trouble the front end of any race Very Happy

And yes, the weather was certainly challenging!

And the support was amazing.
FatPom

PostPosted: Mon Sep 11, 2017 3:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

How was that group of supporters about half way up the long hill on the run! They had the music pumping and dancing with the flouro leis, and were having a right old party. The lifted my spirits.

Cr@p Tri were there usual brilliant selves.

The 'Sisters of Mercy' at the top of Wisemans gave a laugh and I was blessed by the Pope on Saundersfoot. Very Happy
kevb

PostPosted: Mon Sep 11, 2017 3:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Congratulations all, tough day for all; especially marshals and spectators!

Iwas a bit nervous before the swim, but a friend had said everyone gets nervous and when the gun goes the training will take over: she was right! Seeded myself conservatively at 1:20, but came out in 1:10; A pb for me Smile I dressed for the weather (overdressed some might say) tribute, bike jersey and arm-warmers, with a wind jacket in my pocket. Wind down to angle was pretty scary, but then felt it was a help back to Pembroke and up a lot of the climbs. Major challenge was staying warm throughout, just over 7hrs which was my plan. I'd decided to walk all the ups and run the downs which reduced the need for recovery. I was asking for 14 and came home in 13:49 so super chuffed, feel I had the perfect race really; everything went to plan Very Happy
t1mmy

PostPosted: Mon Sep 11, 2017 5:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Time for a bit of a race report.

This was going to be my first full distance Ironman race and only my second ever triathlon. I chose Wales for the challenge and crowds, neither disappointed.

Roll back a year when I registered for the race and the website changed my nationality to Micronesian. I changed this back to the UK a few times so imagine my surprise when I went to race registration and found I was the first ever Micronesian to enter Ironman Wales!

The build up to the race was great and the town was buzzing. I went for the Friday swim practice (my first ever sea swim) and was pleased to find it warm, jellyfish free and I floated like never before. It was also great to meet up with most of the TriTalkers the day before the race.

There was a lot of chat in the run up to the race about the weather and what kit everyone was planning on using, it was pretty simple for me as I've only got one of everything.

Roll forward to race morning and I was walking through the streets of Tenby needing a piss pretty badly through nerves. My aim was always to finish so the inclement weather forecast wasn't hopefully going to ruin my day. I'm really not a big fan of swimming so I seeded myself around the 1:35 mark, there must have only been about 50 people behind me at the start. I was stood in the line up with a guy who swam for West Wales as a kid (sandbagging) and an ex-GB gymnast.

Next thing you know we're off and I'm legging it into the sea. The first buouy took an age to get through but I completed lap 1 in a surprising 41 mins. Running along the sand I saw the sandbagger, he must have been having a crap swim to still be with me. Lap 2 was a different story as the swell rose and I found it a bit tougher. When I dragged myself out of the water I felt a bit sick, probably a combination of swallowing sea water, fuel from the jet skis and the swell. When I got out the water I heard the guys on the tannoy discussing that there was a Micronesian entry in the race haha. Total swim time was 1:32:03 which was a PB!

The 1km run was cracking as there was a wall of noise all the way. I went for a full change in transition in a total time of 16:56. I get hot on the bike and run so went with my tri suit only. It was pretty easy to spot my bike as I must have been one of the last through, or so it felt.

Out onto the bike and I was feeling good. The 30 miles to Angle into a constant headwind was an experience, so was nearly getting blown off my bike by the sand dunes. The crowd support was fantastic all the way round the bike course, especially given how diabolical the rain was. I had a pretty major brown trouser moment in one of the towns when a Ladin stepped out in front of me without looking, cue a 2 wheeled skid and some swearing.

Some of the descents were bloody brilliant, although the level of nutters was high. Given that the roads were soaked and many corners were covered in leaves I saw a lot of people down on their tri bars going hell for leather. It's probably one of the reasons a few got hospitalised!

Wisemans was brutal but it was great to see the monks and nuns at the top, they gave me a laugh. Onto Saundersfoot next which is far easier than Wisemans with plenty of support and fancy dress. Halfway through Saundersfoot some cockwomble in front of me just stopped dead so I had a comedy slow motion fall clipped in. I managed to save my bike by using my arm and leg as a shield. It's only skin so I jumped back on and carried on for the second loop.

Suddenly I was aware that the bike cut off was getting a bit close (I made it by 22 mins) so I got a shifty on back into Tenby. Total bike time 8:28:47 which is the longest I've ever been in the saddle.

T2 in 6:47 as someone had racked their bike in my spot and I couldn't find an easy place to put it!

Off onto the run and I had a clear plan, coast the marathon all the way to the end. The order of the day was walk the hills and run the flats and downs from the start. On the first lap I saw T_C looking comfortable and significantly ahead of me. As I was slogging up to New Hedges I saw a guy bombing down the hill on his bike ahead of the sweeper vehicle, hopefully he made the cut off. I just soaked up the atmosphere on the run which was especially good in the town and got rowdier as the night went on.

With about 1.5 miles to go on the run a dead seagull fell out of the sky in front of me and another bloke, it was pretty dark and gave us a right fright. Total run time 5:49:58 and total race time 16:04:28

I'm struggling to describe how great it was going down the finishing chute in heroes hour. My family were there and the crowd were going nuts. I took my time and soaked it all in. When I went across the finish line they realised I was the Micronesian entrant (what a comical clerical error) so they interviewed me in front of the crowd. Much to everyone's amusement I'm actually a northerner from England but technically I am now the Ironman Wales Micronesian national course record holder!

If you haven't done this race get signed up. If like me you're thinking of your first long distance race I can't recommend this one enough. Chapeau to everyone that got round yesterday, it was emotional.
D4SH

PostPosted: Mon Sep 11, 2017 5:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Just to echo the comments already - a fantastic event with incredible crowds - the support throughout was just amazing. Weather was a challenge, but then its supposed to be tough! Really pleased with an overall time of 11h45 for my first and only attempt at long distance.
fat buddha

PostPosted: Mon Sep 11, 2017 6:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

D4SH wrote:
Just to echo the comments already - a fantastic event with incredible crowds - the support throughout was just amazing. Weather was a challenge, but then its supposed to be tough! Really pleased with an overall time of 11h45 for my first and only attempt at long distance.

says nobody ever..... Wink
D4SH

PostPosted: Mon Sep 11, 2017 6:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

fat buddha wrote:
D4SH wrote:

I only typed that whilst my wife was looking over my shoulder Very Happy
Davem

PostPosted: Mon Sep 11, 2017 8:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

fat buddha wrote:
D4SH wrote:

I was only EVER doing one... Rolling Eyes

34 IM's later... lol
spraggz

PostPosted: Tue Sep 12, 2017 9:17 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Wow, what a day. Well done to everyone that finished, those conditions were pretty brutal, and the volunteers and marshals were just heroic being out there all day and night.

My first time in Wales and 3rd Ironman after Outlaw this year (5 punctures) and Zurich last year. Really happy with how I executed, finishing in 10.31, missing out on a Kona spot by a couple of minutes. Went to roll down but unfortunately wasn't to be.. hopefully next time.

Swim was good, PB by a few seconds or so (1.07), thought the chop picked up a bit on the second lap but nothing major.

Strangely really enjoyed the bike, was such a battle, just concentrated on each section at a time, eating, drinking and thinking about fish and chips! Hopped off with a 5.54 split, feeling good to start the run.

Knew I'd always be playing catch up as my swim isn't the strongest, went for it knowing I had 15 minutes to make up, through halfway in 1.33 but faded for a 3.19 run and 52nd overall (7th in AG).

Quick change and shower and I was out on the course for 5 hours after (fuelled by a few beers), cheering on fellow club mates as well as everyone else, atmosphere was brilliant.

Again, well done to everybody, you can say you were there for IM wales 2017 - finish that, and you can finish anything..
Cheshire_set

PostPosted: Tue Sep 12, 2017 10:17 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Without doubt the most difficult event I have done to date, congratulations to those that finished in brutal conditions.
The swim was ok though I found sighting a struggle particularly on the second lap as the swell really got up. The bike was very hard in those winds and driving rain. I still think the TT bike was the right choice but unfortunately very few chances to catch some time back as the descents were wet and covered in debris. The oil and grease sabotage of the course (whilst taken care of quickly) did cast a few doubts in my mind and perhaps that meant easing off just slightly. The run I found ok, just so happy to be off the bike and knowing a steady approach would see me home.
Its true what they say about the support and the town, it really is special. I think it will be remembered as an epic year to have raced and I was proud to be part of it.
2017 - Sandstone Ultra, Bala middle, IM Wales
FatPom

PostPosted: Thu Sep 14, 2017 2:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Just cleaned my bike. That didn't take long at all! Rolling Eyes
SGreg

PostPosted: Thu Sep 14, 2017 2:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

FatPom wrote:
Just cleaned my bike. That didn't take long at all! Rolling Eyes

Sarcasm or the same cleaning method as me?

Mine took all of 5 mins.

Just sprayed it with some "stuff" Wiped it with a rag, then some/lots spray lube, before hurling it into the gym/turbo training suite/spareroom/#@?# where I keep my crap.

I imagine it will remain there for several months, possibly forever! it could easily be the old girls last outing, 7 Ironman's is starting to show on the poor old girl. Especially with the sort of maintenance as described above Laughing

However I'm still finding bit of wales on my own person, that bike course seemed to get everywhere!
Toyota_Crown

Location: Lincoln / Scarborough (Algerino-Land) / Fircombe-on-Sea. sandbagging for daveM

PostPosted: Thu Sep 14, 2017 5:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Congrats to timmy Thumbs Up
Oarsum position & time by spraggs Surprised Cool

Yet again, such a Fab race, best MDot in the World? Can't believe it's not sold out in seconds. sadly I wasn't 100% due to recent food poisoning(?) or a bug, I was maybe 85%?, so I had to pace it carefully not to fall over or die. Just try get the best I could out of myself on the day, which I did thankfully, and still enjoyed it, despite a relatively pedestrian pace being all I could muster. But it was very annoying I couldnt try to play those challenging conditions to my best advantage tho for a good placing, if not outright time.

I didnt think the wind wasn't as bad as I'd expected given the forecast. In fact it it helped you more than hindered, and it's Always Frisky at Angle. Great fun tbh.
The main issue was it was wetter than forecast on the bike, which caught some folks out, who were already too cold n sodden by the time they put on a jacket if they had one (or an emergency binbag if your clever)
My flyweight pertex saved the day. The run conditions were pretty good tbh, the wind didn't have so much effect, and it was cool. Any warm sunshine would have given reason for more folks to have suffered on the run tbh.
A cr@p day for supporters tho, must have got cold stood around

The currents/tide in the Sw1m were as bad as usual to the first buoy but more than usual it pulled folks out wide round the 2nd Lifeboat House buoy too, which even caught me out on lap 2 despite aiming to its inside. Somehow the overall sw1m split at Wales still always seems to be about right tho.

Roll on next year.
Very impressed too with how the oil sabotage was quickly dealt with, and the bike warning signing on lairy corners was improved too, I had no complaints, definitely a Very Good Show from the MDot Team - Thanks Smile
88IM+11DIM+D+3Q+3T=144IM
UKIMGrandSlam04-17
Post new topic   Reply to topic    TriTalk.co.uk Forum Index -> Events All times are GMT
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 20, 21, 22, 23  Next
Page 21 of 23

Jump to: