Tri Talk HomepageTri Talk EventsTri Talk ForumsBlogsTri Talk TrainingTri TradeTriPlayerWikiTeam Tri Talk
IM Austria 2017
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
gieffe

PostPosted: Tue Oct 11, 2016 10:38 pm    Post subject: IM Austria 2017 Reply with quote

I will do Klagenfurt next year.

My only experience with full IM is Frankfurt 2015. I remember that getting to T1 with a car was a mess on Saturday and just impossible on race day. I saw people asked to get out of the car and into the buses to reach the start.

How is it at Klagenfurt? I will arrive by plane in Lubjiana and then rent a car.
I have currently booked a room (fully refundable until June) at the Hotel Portia in the city center because it was the closest to the lake that I've found. However I don't like that much the hotel from the pictures... I wonder if it is a good idea to book another hotel even if it is further from the start (there are still vacancies 15-30 km away).

I will travel alone so my plan would be to drive to the lake on Saturday for the check in and more important on Sunday morning for the race.

Will I find a parking spot? what is your experience?
Davem

PostPosted: Wed Oct 12, 2016 7:30 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

plenty of parking at Minimundus - which is about a 10-15 minute walk through the park to the start.

Google it to see what it is all about
Whisk

PostPosted: Wed Oct 12, 2016 1:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

+1 for parking at Minimundus. That's what we did and there was plenty of space at 5:00 when we arrived and we weren't trapped there when we wanted to get back to the city centre after the race.

We stayed at the Arcotel in the city centre and it was definitely a drive away from the race site - the lake is at least 5km from the centre of town.
gieffe

PostPosted: Wed Oct 12, 2016 11:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

thank you. the only hotel close enough to the start is sold out, so i guess i will have to take the car anyway.
there's another hotel that i like 15 km from the venue but it has no airco, and i suffered so much from not having airco in frankfurt 2015 that i'm reluctant to book it.
but maybe the weather in klagenfurt is different and airco is never a need?
Davem

PostPosted: Thu Oct 13, 2016 8:10 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Austria can get hot - both years I have done it temperatures have been between 28 and 32c
Whisk

PostPosted: Thu Oct 13, 2016 8:21 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yep, it was 35C the year I raced there. The weather generally seems to be "hot with a chance of thunderstorms". Our hotel didn't have A/C either, but I don't think that's necessarily a bad thing because it helps you get used to the temperature.
explorerJC

PostPosted: Thu Oct 13, 2016 9:57 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

get a hotel across the lake...you can get a water taxi in early on race morning...

www.naturalrunningform.co.uk Natural Running Form Coach

2017 Training Camps http://www.appliedtri.co.uk/training-camps/
Jorgan

PostPosted: Thu Oct 13, 2016 10:16 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Don't worry, Austria is a breeze logistically compared to Frankfurt, as everything centres on the lake area.

If you want a cheap low-key place to stay, that is a 1km walk to the site (plus supermarkets close) then I stayed here: http://www.pension-wachau.at/haus_e.html

It didn't have wifi 3 years ago, no idea now; but there are restaurants 200m away that do Wink Staying somewhere like this will make the stay very relaxed compared to Frankfurt when it's 40 degrees (I was there last year too!). The two years I've raced Austria it was: 35+ degrees (2009) & circa.28 degrees (2013). It felt fine in 2013 as there's a lot of shade on the run; 2009 was just horrible as it was stormy/humid.

Enjoy - post here if you want more info Smile
Jorgan

PostPosted: Thu Oct 13, 2016 10:19 am    Post subject: Re: IM Austria 2017 Reply with quote

gieffe wrote:
My only experience with full IM is Frankfurt 2015.

Then it can only get easier and cooler Very Happy
tuckandgo

PostPosted: Thu Oct 13, 2016 1:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Jorgan wrote:
Don't worry, Austria is a breeze logistically compared to Frankfurt, as everything centres on the lake area.

If you want a cheap low-key place to stay, that is a 1km walk to the site (plus supermarkets close) then I stayed here: http://www.pension-wachau.at/haus_e.html

It didn't have wifi 3 years ago, no idea now; but there are restaurants 200m away that do Wink Staying somewhere like this will make the stay very relaxed compared to Frankfurt when it's 40 degrees (I was there last year too!). The two years I've raced Austria it was: 35+ degrees (2009) & circa.28 degrees (2013). It felt fine in 2013 as there's a lot of shade on the run; 2009 was just horrible as it was stormy/humid.

Enjoy - post here if you want more info Smile

Thanks Jorgan,

I'm off to Austria next year and that looks like just the kind of place I'd want to stay!
gieffe

PostPosted: Thu Nov 24, 2016 10:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

no chance to get an hotel at walking distance from the lake.
next time i decide to do it i will book a room before entering the race; it seems what everybody does considering the availability of rooms just a few days after registration opens. anyway i will have a car and i will drive to the lake the morning of the race.

what's your view on the bike course? i think i will have a chance to check some parts of it the friday or saturday morning. should i head to the hills? any other spot worth checking?
do you know if there's a way to simulate the bike course on trainer road/zwift or similar?

thanks
Malcolm68

PostPosted: Tue Jun 27, 2017 7:40 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

If anyone else going out to Austria, water temperature at the minute is at 25 degrees so looking like a non wetsuit swim.

Forecast seems to be warm with the odd thunderstorm so doesn't look like changing too much.

Malc
Jorgan

PostPosted: Tue Jun 27, 2017 8:32 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Malcolm68 wrote:
If anyone else going out to Austria, water temperature at the minute is at 25 degrees so looking like a non wetsuit swim.

Forecast seems to be warm with the odd thunderstorm so doesn't look like changing too much.

The last minute announcement on wetsuits merely adds to the drama for the non-competitor Smile Hope you have a good race, when are you travelling?
moonmonkey02

PostPosted: Tue Jun 27, 2017 9:03 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Malcolm68 wrote:

Malc

quick check on the IM site confirms historic average water temp appears to be 23 so anyone entering this event must assume there's a decent chance it will be a non-wetsuit swim and train accordingly.

not sure how many years it has been non-wetsuit recently?
Jorgan

PostPosted: Tue Jun 27, 2017 9:48 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

moonmonkey02 wrote:

not sure how many years it has been non-wetsuit recently?

Just 2012 I think.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    TriTalk.co.uk Forum Index -> Events All times are GMT
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next
Page 1 of 3

Jump to: