Tri Talk HomepageTri Talk EventsTri Talk ForumsBlogsTri Talk TrainingTri TradeTriPlayerWikiTeam Tri Talk
IM Austria 2017
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
fat buddha

PostPosted: Tue Jun 27, 2017 12:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Jorgan wrote:
moonmonkey02 wrote:

not sure how many years it has been non-wetsuit recently?

Just 2012 I think.

I thought 2014 as well?? could be wrong with the year, but I'm pretty sure they've banned wetsuits a couple of times in recent years. luckily 2007 when I did it (dog - is it 10 years ago? - where's the time gone??) it was just below ban temperature
Whitters

PostPosted: Tue Jun 27, 2017 1:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'd be surprised if it was non-wetsuit - in 2012 it was 35 degrees and blazing sunshine all week before the race and that was only just non-wetsuit.. they measured 24.8 if I recall. And last year it was a wettie swim but a lot hotter in the build up than it has been this year. Forecast is for it to cool down a bit after tomorrow - I'm pinning my hopes on that anyway....
moonmonkey02

PostPosted: Tue Jun 27, 2017 1:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I thought current rules are even if it's declared non wetsuit you can still wear one but then can't compete for kona slots/age group placings etc which for most people isn't a problem. In other words you can still participate and get a time you just can't win/place.

I think a complete wetsuit ban can be called if the water is near boiling point.

I stand to be corrected.
lutterworth1

PostPosted: Tue Jun 27, 2017 2:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I tried that argument in 2012 and was told how do they manage it, then they said Austrian fed rules outweigh IM rules!
If I can get round a non-wetsuit swim anyone can,
moonmonkey02

PostPosted: Tue Jun 27, 2017 4:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

lutterworth1 wrote:
I tried that argument in 2012 and was told how do they manage it, then they said Austrian fed rules outweigh IM rules!

Might be just for US events according to the rules: clearly the Yanks need to HTFU.

Section 4.02 WETSUIT RULES
(a) For age-group athletes, wetsuits may be worn in water temperature up to and including 24.5 degrees C/76.1 degrees F (DSQ) (*Please note: If the water temperature is above 24.5 degrees C/76.1 degrees F (but is less than or equal to 28.8 degrees C/83.8 degrees F) then, with respect to certain Events (e.g., Events sanctioned by USA Triathlon (“USAT”)), IRONMAN may, in its sole discretion, allow age-group athletes to wear wetsuits and participate in a separate non-competitive wetsuit wave/division, provided, however, that such athletes participating in the designated non-competitive wetsuit wave/division will not be eligible for age-group awards including, without limitation, IRONMAN World Championship slots or IRONMAN 70.3 World Championship slots);
fat buddha

PostPosted: Tue Jun 27, 2017 4:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

lutterworth1 wrote:

it's not a question of one set of rules outweighing another, but a question of which rules the event is run under.

what many still haven't grasped is that not all IM branded events are run under the IM rules - many (as per Austria, UK, France and maybe Spain) are run under the local federation rules. this info should be on the event website - if not check, as many have fallen foul of rules not being as they expected.
Iaincognito

PostPosted: Tue Jun 27, 2017 7:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've just had a walk past the lake and it looks lovely. Couldn't quite
Reach it but will have a play tomorrow.

Staying at the Plattenwirt until Tuesday.
gieffe

PostPosted: Thu Jun 29, 2017 11:51 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

water temperature back to 24 degrees, it seems it will be a wetsuit swim after all.
Davem

PostPosted: Mon Jul 03, 2017 10:46 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

any updates???
Jorgan

PostPosted: Mon Jul 03, 2017 11:00 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Looked nicely overcast & quite cool on the streaming I saw (run). Windy though apparently; I think times were generally a bit slower this year as a result.
Davem

PostPosted: Mon Jul 03, 2017 4:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

2018 still not sold out yet...
gieffe

PostPosted: Mon Jul 03, 2017 10:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

swim was wetsuit legal; 24 degrees and perfect conditions. i am a slow swimmer so i decided to start in the 1:20 - 1:30 group but it was a mistake as I probably got to the canal at the busiest time. after being hit and pushed and having hit and pushed i got out of the water in 1:18.
bike course was windy but not extreme, it was only 21 degrees so at the start i had stomach ache because of the cold. the course it's really nice and rolling, only a few climbs with only one worth worrying about. the reward is a long ride back to klagenfurt. i finished in 6:00:10, just 5-10 minutes more than plan.
the run was great, i find that passing 4 times by the start/finish area makes it easier to keep going. I finished in 4:16:34
12' total transition time, slow but i decided to take my time.
total time 11:47:05 2 hours faster than my only previous ironman (frankfurt 2015...)
overall a great experience. well organised, fantastic support from the volunteers as usual. and beautiful venue. the lake is just awesome.
only negative note: i stayed in a hotel in moosburg, 12km north of klagenfurt. excellent location in general (very quite village) but the night before the race there was a wedding at the hotel. i fell asleep around 2AM... at 5AM i left the hotel while the dj was packing his set
Malcolm68

PostPosted: Tue Jul 04, 2017 8:13 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thought the weather was pretty much perfect, certainly after the heat of Saturday.

Only confirmed wetsuits on the Sunday morning. Swim was great, until we got to the canal, then all sorts of fisticuffs and pushing. Don't see the point as we're out all day, in real terms it's only a matter of seconds that anyone will gain so should show a bit of etiquette and respect.

Bike was fine, though looks like there was another death on an IM, reports said he had a heart attack. I must have come past him as there were medics holding sheets up to hide the view and a helicopter next to them. Wasn't a particularly quick part or on a sharp bend either. Not good though.

Loads of support on the run, even managed to get some rain towards the end of my run which was quite welcome.

Thoroughly enjoyed the weekend. Beautiful part of the world, great course and great support. It's the twentieth anniversary next year so guess will sell out even quicker. Hopefully will be there again to make it 3 years on the bounce.

Malc
Jorgan

PostPosted: Tue Jul 04, 2017 8:24 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Davem wrote:

Not like the good old, bad old days!
fat buddha

PostPosted: Tue Jul 04, 2017 9:28 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Jorgan wrote:
Davem wrote:

Not like the good old, bad old days!

which was what - about 4 minutes to sell out?? you had to be bloody quick on entry day just a few years ago. but I guess with the vastly increased number of IM and Challenge events now, most aren't selling out like they used to.

same went for some UK events like Vitruvian, Dambuster etc
Post new topic   Reply to topic    TriTalk.co.uk Forum Index -> Events All times are GMT
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
Page 2 of 3

Jump to: