Tri Talk HomepageTri Talk EventsTri Talk ForumsBlogsTri Talk TrainingTri TradeTriPlayerWikiTeam Tri Talk
Your Garmin Questions Here
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Jorgan

PostPosted: Wed Nov 16, 2016 10:53 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

MarkyMark76 wrote:
Jorgan wrote:

Does anyone else press the Lap (left) button when swimming?

Yes. In between swim sets i use the lap button. Seems to work ok.

It's early days for me, so I probably need to practice with it. Goodness knows how I'll manage with Triathlon mode Very Happy
stenard

PostPosted: Wed Nov 16, 2016 11:58 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Jorgan wrote:
MarkyMark76 wrote:
Jorgan wrote:

It's early days for me, so I probably need to practice with it. Goodness knows how I'll manage with Triathlon mode Very Happy

Jorgan - if you're doing that then you need to turn the rest screen off in the settings. Otherwise when you press lap, it stops recording swim data as it presumes you're at the wall. That's why your 3k swim is precisely half distance ... every other 500m has not been recorded. If you turn the rest screen off, it'll do what you want.

The rest screen was a new feature on the 920 from the 910. On the 910 you just hit lap, whether that meant a "split" in a longer interval, or an actual rest. It then figured it out on Garmin Connect whether it was a rest or not. The reason they introduced the rest screen was firstly to give you good rest info (so you can easily see your last split, plus your rest time or "off" time depending on when you want to start your next rep) as well as eliminating the issue with the 910 where you would get phantom lengths counted during rest (i.e. if you jumped out the pool quickly to grab a drink, the arm swings whilst walking would confuse it to think you're swimming).
Jorgan

PostPosted: Wed Nov 16, 2016 2:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Muchos gracias!
TransitionTed

PostPosted: Wed Nov 16, 2016 9:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

stenard wrote:
Jorgan wrote:
MarkyMark76 wrote:
Jorgan wrote:

Jorgan - if you're doing that then you need to turn the rest screen off in the settings. Otherwise when you press lap, it stops recording swim data as it presumes you're at the wall. That's why your 3k swim is precisely half distance ... every other 500m has not been recorded. If you turn the rest screen off, it'll do what you want.

That's a good call, I wondered why mine stopped recording, thanks Stenard😊
fenix

PostPosted: Fri Nov 18, 2016 12:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

My Fenix3 seems pretty decent for recording the small amount of swimming I do.

But I have a basic query - when I'm tracing a run/hike/bike with the watch - is there a way of getting to the other screens - so the time or the compass function ?

I'm sure its obvious but I'm very stupid.
Jorgan

PostPosted: Fri Nov 18, 2016 1:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

stenard wrote:

Hmm, I turned-off the rest screen today and it still mucked-up the laps/timing. Did a 2k straight swim, and hit the lap button at 500m. After 600m I noticed it was still on 500m so pushed lap again, I also noticed it beeped at some point soon after, not sure why.

Upshot was I got a 500m first split with an overall time of 28:59. Now I think there are 6 missing lengths in that total time, as at that pace I would have hit ~31:30. That beep must have signified some other metric/pause it was doing. Fortunately, because I always swum using the pace clock and counting every 50m in my head before I got the 920, I was able to keep track of the swim in my head, and doing the maths kept me occupied on the go Rolling Eyes

Still somewhat bamboozled as to why it's not a simpler process to get laps; I'll just press stop/start from now on and forgo lap timing.
stenard

PostPosted: Fri Nov 18, 2016 5:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Jorgan wrote:
stenard wrote:

Hmm, I turned-off the rest screen today and it still mucked-up the laps/timing. Did a 2k straight swim, and hit the lap button at 500m. After 600m I noticed it was still on 500m so pushed lap again, I also noticed it beeped at some point soon after, not sure why.

Upshot was I got a 500m first split with an overall time of 28:59. Now I think there are 6 missing lengths in that total time, as at that pace I would have hit ~31:30. That beep must have signified some other metric/pause it was doing. Fortunately, because I always swum using the pace clock and counting every 50m in my head before I got the 920, I was able to keep track of the swim in my head, and doing the maths kept me occupied on the go Rolling Eyes

Still somewhat bamboozled as to why it's not a simpler process to get laps; I'll just press stop/start from now on and forgo lap timing.

My apologies. I just checked my own watch sat at the desk, and you're right ... turning off the rest screen doesnt change the functionality ... it still in effect pauses the watch, you just dont have the rest screen. The screen still inverts and goes black.

I also get what you mean about funny vibration (/beeping). I have all sounds turned off on my watch, but turning the rest screen off did make the watch go a bit mental in vibrating for about 3s when I hit lap.

I hadnt actually ever tried this myself - my response was based on this thread from before I bought mine. Since Garmin Connect was updated to show cumulative time every length (that didnt used to be the case), interval splits can quite easily be determined that way after the swim and hence I got out of the habit of hitting lap mid-interval before finally upgrading from the 910.
Alvin

PostPosted: Sun Nov 20, 2016 7:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Pressing lap won't do what you want which I assume is to take 500m splits during your swim. Lap is more of a pause function while you rest between sets. Only way round it is to press lap twice.

When you start a new set and press lap it will make a noise and vibrate. Don't think there is a way to turn this off.

I'm using the garmin swim watch, but your issues seem the same as mine. Although I've found the counting lengths excellent, only missed lengths on single arm drill and 1l sprints
Jorgan

PostPosted: Mon Nov 21, 2016 10:35 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Alvin wrote:
Pressing lap won't do what you want which I assume is to take 500m splits during your swim. Lap is more of a pause function while you rest between sets. Only way round it is to press lap twice.

When you start a new set and press lap it will make a noise and vibrate. Don't think there is a way to turn this off.

But doesn't simply pressing start/stop do this too? You just press 'yes' to resume again - it doesn't time your pause though obviously.

Seems odd that 'lap' functionality isn't standardised between activity profiles and to acually mean 'lap' all the time.
Buzz_

PostPosted: Mon Nov 21, 2016 10:52 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I know nothing about the 920xt, and almost as much about swimming, but could this be solved by downloading a custom swim workout to the watch that automatically records laps every 500m? Something like a 6x500m set with no rest?
stenard

PostPosted: Mon Nov 21, 2016 11:13 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Jorgan wrote:

Seems odd that 'lap' functionality isn't standardised between activity profiles and to acually mean 'lap' all the time.

I agree. It's regressive from the 910 that you can't manually mark interval splits. That's why I thought turning the rest screen off would logically revert back to the 910 functionality, seeing as the rest screen was the "incremental update" to the 910.
gieffe

PostPosted: Thu Nov 24, 2016 11:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Jorgan wrote:
Alvin wrote:

But doesn't simply pressing start/stop do this too? You just press 'yes' to resume again - it doesn't time your pause though obviously.

i think that if you press stop and then resume it will just continue the previous lap so you will not get any benefit compared to just keep on swimming. pressing twice the lap button is what you want to do, it will allow you to see the laps times in connect or tp.
SwimsLikeAWalrus

PostPosted: Fri Dec 16, 2016 8:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've just bought an 810 Edge. Any ideas about maps? Is a micro SD the way to go? And if so any good suppliers?

Thank you
Smile
jibberjim

PostPosted: Fri Dec 16, 2016 9:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

SwimsLikeAWalrus wrote:
I've just bought an 810 Edge. Any ideas about maps? Is a micro SD the way to go? And if so any good suppliers?

https://openmtbmap.org/ or https://www.velomap.org/ depending on what you want, indeed get both.

A micro-sd will just give you more maps.
SwimsLikeAWalrus

PostPosted: Sun Dec 18, 2016 6:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

jibberjim wrote:
SwimsLikeAWalrus wrote:

https://openmtbmap.org/ or https://www.velomap.org/ depending on what you want, indeed get both.

A micro-sd will just give you more maps.

Thanks Jim. That looks really helpful! I'd already read DC Rainmaker's old review of it and this makes sense!
Post new topic   Reply to topic    TriTalk.co.uk Forum Index -> Gear All times are GMT
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
Page 2 of 5

Jump to: