Tri Talk HomepageTri Talk EventsTri Talk ForumsBlogsTri Talk TrainingTri TradeTriPlayerWikiTeam Tri Talk
Your Garmin Questions Here
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
iwaters

PostPosted: Mon Dec 19, 2016 4:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Anyone have a 910XT and had the 20,000m elevation problem?

Mine has started doing it. I have tried cleaning the holes where the altimeter is (had to removed the quick release mount to get at them properly) and also tried a hard reset but it still showing stupid figures.

It was bought as a refurb with 1yr warranty which is still valid but would rather not send it back - I'm a data nerd and can't be without my stats for weeks!
stenard

PostPosted: Tue Dec 20, 2016 11:46 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

If you speak to Garmin they'll take you into the device menus and can tell from the outputs you give them whether it's a complete hardware failure in the altimeter or something else.

From memory, when mine did that they got me a replacement pretty quick. It wasn't weeks.
JaRok2300

PostPosted: Tue Dec 20, 2016 11:52 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Mine did the 20,000km thing and I cleaned the holes and did a hard reset 2/3 times before it sorted it out. I used a tooth brush to get right into the holes and also left it in warm soapy water for a long time to dissolve anything I couldn't get at.
I still get the occasional odd reading at the start of a session when it suddenly ascends or descends to the correct elevation so I usually select the option to override the altimeter in Garmin Connect and Strava which isn't ideal but is OK until a newer model comes up at the right price.

Ps. You can't override multisport activities for some reason which is odd.
SwimsLikeAWalrus

PostPosted: Sun Feb 19, 2017 6:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm trying to get better at obsessively recording all data Smile

I've got a 310xt which functions perfectly well and due to user error (failing to put it into multisport/ nobbing around with the lap button and ending the race in T1 type of things) use that for tri. I' ve got a Garmin 810 for my bike.

I'm tempted to buy a Garmin Swim to record swim sets. Currently I remember as much of the Masters set as possible and check the lengths swum with a very helpful person in my lane. If he s not there I often ask a girl with a 920xt for the distance. I'm not convinced I'll remember to press loads of buttons during a swim set so self recording may be the best way forward!

Is the G Swim worth it or is it easier just to buy a 735xt and have done with it? Possibly waiting until the 310xt expires Smile

Any thoughts? Smile
iwaters

PostPosted: Mon Feb 20, 2017 10:12 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I had the Garmin Swim for years before I got the 910XT. Now I haven't seen any of the newer stuff 920XT, 735 etc so can't compare.

My 910Xt does lap swimming but the G Swim was better at it. The Garmin swim has useful features like rest timer, count down before set, drill mode. The 910 does not have these.

I assume these features are on the newer watches.

The Garmin Swim is a good bit of kit, and not that expensive. You may be in for a wait for the 310 to expire. Although Garmins have the odd fobile they generally last a long time. I had an old FR305 that I bought 2nd hand and I had 10 years and it still worked.
SwimsLikeAWalrus

PostPosted: Mon Feb 20, 2017 10:31 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

iwaters wrote:
I had the Garmin Swim for years before I got the 910XT. Now I haven't seen any of the newer stuff 920XT, 735 etc so can't compare.

My 910Xt does lap swimming but the G Swim was better at it. The Garmin swim has useful features like rest timer, count down before set, drill mode. The 910 does not have these.

I assume these features are on the newer watches.

The Garmin Swim is a good bit of kit, and not that expensive. You may be in for a wait for the 310 to expire. Although Garmins have the odd fobile they generally last a long time. I had an old FR305 that I bought 2nd hand and I had 10 years and it still worked.

Brill - thank you.

If I set the G Swim going is it easy to deal with to start sets? So say if I'm doing 6 x 100m on say 2.05 would it be easy to start the 100, record the rest and then continue with the next lap?
Or would it be easier to press start at the beginning of the hour and stop at the end?
In reality I wouldn't use it with a set programmed in just for a coached Swim Set. Useful for Ow too I guess.
iwaters

PostPosted: Mon Feb 20, 2017 12:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

You start your session off and then hit lap at every interval. Its been a while since I used it and the 910 is different but I think each lap hit alternates between swim/rest/swim/rest.

When in rest it gives a rest timer with a black screen.

Lap - swim 100m - Lap - rest Xsecs etc
Cat5 in the Hat

PostPosted: Mon Feb 20, 2017 12:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

iwaters wrote:
You start your session off and then hit lap at every interval. Its been a while since I used it and the 910 is different but I think each lap hit alternates between swim/rest/swim/rest.

When in rest it gives a rest timer with a black screen.

Lap - swim 100m - Lap - rest Xsecs etc

My Fenix3 does that.
DrClean

PostPosted: Tue Feb 21, 2017 10:43 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Does anyone know if Live Tracking works for pool swimming. or if it's just for the GPS functionality?

People are correct, you hit start and then lap every start and finish of a swim.

Out of interest, you can now send Workouts to your watch for Pool swims. If you do that then the functionality of the watch changes.

Cheers
http://www.CapeVerdeTriathlon.com
Whisk

PostPosted: Tue Feb 21, 2017 1:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

DrClean wrote:
Does anyone know if Live Tracking works for pool swimming. or if it's just for the GPS functionality?

Live tracking requires Bluetooth connectivity to a mobile phone, so unless you are going to swim with your phone, I doubt if it would work for a swim Wink
stenard

PostPosted: Tue Feb 21, 2017 2:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Whisk wrote:
DrClean wrote:

Live tracking requires Bluetooth connectivity to a mobile phone, so unless you are going to swim with your phone, I doubt if it would work for a swim Wink

DCR proved it worked with a 920xt on the wrist and a phone in a swim buoy whilst OWS. So if you were to leave the phone on the pool deck, or within range, it could possibly work.
https://www.dcrainmaker.com/2014/10/jellyfish-openwater-tracking.html

I know when I swim at the leisure centre, every time I rest I get the "phone connected" notification, so it could backfill data at that point.
SwimsLikeAWalrus

PostPosted: Thu Apr 06, 2017 1:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've planned a route in BaseCamp and wanted to share it with someone on Strava. And found that without the time/date etc it can't be done. I know about the 3rd party software that transfers other people's routes...

So my new question is:

Can I plan a route on Strava and export it to my Garmin?

FWIW I don't use Strava but do use Garmin Connect to record my things, although I have a Strava account for looking at things Smile.

So really I want to plan a route, share it with one of my contacts and export it to my 810.

Possible?

I know anything is IMpossible Smile
Jorgan

PostPosted: Thu Apr 06, 2017 2:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

My Edge 500 was stuck on the 'Working' screen the other day, apparently I have to press several buttons at once whilst I plug it in? I only have two hands!
SwimsLikeAWalrus

PostPosted: Thu Apr 06, 2017 4:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Jorgan wrote:
My Edge 500 was stuck on the 'Working' screen the other day, apparently I have to press several buttons at once whilst I plug it in? I only have two hands!

Will the Park Tool Third Hand help?

Smile
GrahamO

PostPosted: Thu Apr 06, 2017 5:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

SwimsLikeAWalrus wrote:
I've planned a route in BaseCamp

I must admit I have never known anyone use Basecamp .....

bikeroutetoaster was the bees knees, but its Garmin Connect or Strava for me whichever the destination.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    TriTalk.co.uk Forum Index -> Gear All times are GMT
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
Page 3 of 5

Jump to: