Tri Talk HomepageTri Talk EventsTri Talk ForumsBlogsTri Talk TrainingTri TradeTriPlayerWikiTeam Tri Talk
Advice for draft-legal racing
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
triathlondaz

PostPosted: Thu Nov 10, 2016 11:45 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Do an ironman as practice, its not legal but s**t loads of drafting going on Very Happy
TRO Saracen

PostPosted: Fri Nov 11, 2016 11:29 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

My experience of Crits shows that although I am happy and reasonably competent in a standard training ride group, I was way off when it was real racing.

Even small half wheel gaps opening on corners are fatal after a while; and do not under estimate how crafty other riders are: very easy to get sucked into doing a lot of work and have others reap the benefit.

Gearing becomes critical so you can react; and that discipline you've learned over a number of seasons around smoothing effort, easing out of corners to conserve energy and not straying over FTP has to be unlearnt.

Ergo a number of guys who I could put time into over a 25TT utterly schooled me in a crit over a similar time. It's frustrating!

I guess what you may have in your favour is that the field will be triathletes, rather than hardened crit riders chasing ranking points.

2017: IM 70.3 Exmoor, IM UK, IM 70.3 WC Chattanooga.
iainm

PostPosted: Sun Nov 13, 2016 7:05 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks. Appreciated.
The_Exile

PostPosted: Sun Nov 13, 2016 10:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

fat buddha wrote:
the swim course was too long (was actually 1350m instead of 750m!)

That is one hell of a mismeasurement! Shocked Confused
fat buddha

PostPosted: Mon Nov 14, 2016 11:34 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The_Exile wrote:
fat buddha wrote:

yep! as the drafting wave was swimming (1st wave of the day) I was stood next to the Race Director and we both looked at each other and realised we had a problem as they seemed to be taking ages in the swim. he got in touch with the boat crew and brought the buoys inwards for subsequent waves but even there they were still long - but not as bad as the 1st wave. no idea why they went so badly wrong but something to be sorted for next year's events.
Whisk

PostPosted: Mon Nov 14, 2016 1:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

fat buddha wrote:
The_Exile wrote:
fat buddha wrote:

yep! as the drafting wave was swimming (1st wave of the day) I was stood next to the Race Director and we both looked at each other and realised we had a problem as they seemed to be taking ages in the swim. he got in touch with the boat crew and brought the buoys inwards for subsequent waves but even there they were still long - but not as bad as the 1st wave. no idea why they went so badly wrong but something to be sorted for next year's events.

I did the long course worlds in Almere in 2008 and they ran an IM-distance the day before, so they only needed to tweak the swim course slightly to get it from 3800m to 4000m. Somehow they managed to add nearly 1000m to the course Shocked Add in some rough water conditions and the weaker swimmers were out of the picture before they even got to T1.
fat buddha

PostPosted: Mon Nov 14, 2016 1:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Whisk wrote:
fat buddha wrote:
The_Exile wrote:
fat buddha wrote:

I did the long course worlds in Almere in 2008 and they ran an IM-distance the day before, so they only needed to tweak the swim course slightly to get it from 3800m to 4000m. Somehow they managed to add nearly 1000m to the course Shocked Add in some rough water conditions and the weaker swimmers were out of the picture before they even got to T1.

yep - I was there and DNF'd the swim (I was a crap swimmer back then - not much better now!). I was probably 200m from swim exit and looked at my watch and thought I would be behind cut off time so called it a day as I didn't fancy trying to play bike catch up and blow up. what I didn't know at the time is that the swim cut off time had been extended due to course cock up so I would have probably been OK. and to cap it all my missus got DQ'd for drafting - she was not happy! Mad
Jorgan

PostPosted: Mon Nov 14, 2016 2:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The ITU LD Worlds swim was a bit of a cluster this year too, by all accounts.
SidSnot

PostPosted: Mon Nov 14, 2016 2:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Jorgan wrote:
super quick for some though Rolling Eyes
Jorgan

PostPosted: Mon Nov 14, 2016 2:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

SidSnot wrote:
Jorgan wrote:
super quick for some though Rolling Eyes

Her only realistic option is to retire on top.
doug

PostPosted: Mon Nov 14, 2016 3:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

fat buddha wrote:
Whisk wrote:

yep - I was there and DNF'd the swim (I was a crap swimmer back then - not much better now!). I was probably 200m from swim exit and looked at my watch and thought I would be behind cut off time so called it a day as I didn't fancy trying to play bike catch up and blow up. what I didn't know at the time is that the swim cut off time had been extended due to course cock up so I would have probably been OK. and to cap it all my missus got DQ'd for drafting - she was not happy! Mad

That was a brutal swim - while waiting for my start wave I watched the elites come in after the 1st small loop (I think was meant to be 1000m) and knowing then we were in for a long day. I was expecting a swim time of about 1hr15 and ended up with 1hr42, none of the elites broke the 1hr mark.
Whisk

PostPosted: Mon Nov 14, 2016 5:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

doug wrote:
fat buddha wrote:
Whisk wrote:

That was a brutal swim - while waiting for my start wave I watched the elites come in after the 1st small loop (I think was meant to be 1000m) and knowing then we were in for a long day. I was expecting a swim time of about 1hr15 and ended up with 1hr42, none of the elites broke the 1hr mark.

I was aiming to be out of the water in about an hour, so when I got out and saw 1:15ish I thought I'd had a shocker. Then I saw how many bikes there were in transition and decided that maybe I didn't have such a bad day after all Wink
TriSam

PostPosted: Wed Jan 04, 2017 3:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

What draft-legal races have people done and would recommend?
iainm

PostPosted: Sat Jan 28, 2017 3:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've entered Eton Sprints in May, so will let you know. Shoudl be interesting with multiple small laps, pretty much lots of groups on the road.
chickenboy

PostPosted: Sat Jan 28, 2017 6:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

iainm wrote:
I've entered Eton Sprints in May, so will let you know. Shoudl be interesting with multiple small laps, pretty much lots of groups on the road.

AG qualifier for worlds in Rotterdam? if so, i'll see you there Smile
Post new topic   Reply to topic    TriTalk.co.uk Forum Index -> Events All times are GMT
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
Page 2 of 3

Jump to: