Tri Talk HomepageTri Talk EventsTri Talk ForumsBlogsTri Talk TrainingTri TradeTriPlayerWikiTeam Tri Talk
Hats off to him but totally insane!
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next
 
Post new topic   Reply to topic    TriTalk.co.uk Forum Index -> Off-Topic
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Author Message
explorerJC




Joined: 20 Oct 2005
Posts: 13636
Location: Farthingstone

PostPosted: Thu Nov 24, 2016 12:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Symes wrote:
Favourite two posts so far:




There's an anchor which will take some winching...


perhaps thats why there is little time for swimming...
_________________
www.appliedtri.co.uk Tri and Du coaching

www.naturalrunningform.co.uk Natural Running Form Coach

2017 Training Camps http://www.appliedtri.co.uk/training-camps/
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website
MarkyMark76




Joined: 27 Jan 2015
Posts: 59

PostPosted: Thu Dec 01, 2016 1:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ben has posted some info - http://marathonswimmers.org/forum/discussion/1535/ben-hooper-swim-across-atlantic-ocean/p3#Comment_23231
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
explorerJC




Joined: 20 Oct 2005
Posts: 13636
Location: Farthingstone

PostPosted: Thu Dec 01, 2016 7:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

MarkyMark76 wrote:
Ben has posted some info - http://marathonswimmers.org/forum/discussion/1535/ben-hooper-swim-across-atlantic-ocean/p3#Comment_23231



Thanks

i am still perplexed by the 'swimming across the atlantic claim' surely swimming in the atlantic is more appropriate
_________________
www.appliedtri.co.uk Tri and Du coaching

www.naturalrunningform.co.uk Natural Running Form Coach

2017 Training Camps http://www.appliedtri.co.uk/training-camps/
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website
KingstonGraham




Joined: 21 Mar 2008
Posts: 7543

PostPosted: Fri Dec 02, 2016 11:04 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Who would have thought he couldn't do something impossible?
_________________
I don't need an attitude
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Gus




Joined: 07 Sep 2007
Posts: 2132
Location: Freezing my nads off in Aberdoom

PostPosted: Sat Dec 03, 2016 5:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I must've been bored as I bothered to read the 'rules' he's swimming under. He's not starting from the previous days' end-point as he claims it's 'impossible' to return to the same point for fuel reasons.

What a pile of bolleaux.

So, instead, he's allowing 'drift' and just getting back in the water where the boat happens to have drifted to by next morning... and making up any shortfall by 'adding it on at the end'...

Seriously?

In which case he may as well sit on his @rse all trip drinking rum & cokes, let the boat drift to Brazil, then swim the 1600miles up and down the beach in sunny Brazil at his leisure. And he can still make the same 'I swam the Atlantic' claim.

I hate to knock down people who attempt crazy but exciting stunts, but this just takes the p1ss.

Rolling Eyes

PS. And reading the MarathonSwimmers website, it's clear he's ripped a lot of people off by fund-raising for 'charities' but actually pocketing the cash, leaving a lot of aggrieved people. I'm afraid this guy seems a bit too dodgy in all aspects.
_________________
BLOG now updating again!
In a world where I feel so small, I can't stop thinking big...

My 15 minutes of fame
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
TransitionTed




Joined: 02 Aug 2008
Posts: 21462
Location: On It Lika A Car Bonnet

PostPosted: Sat Dec 03, 2016 8:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Gus wrote:
I must've been bored as I bothered to read the 'rules' he's swimming under. He's not starting from the previous days' end-point as he claims it's 'impossible' to return to the same point for fuel reasons.

What a pile of bolleaux.

So, instead, he's allowing 'drift' and just getting back in the water where the boat happens to have drifted to by next morning... and making up any shortfall by 'adding it on at the end'...

Seriously?

In which case he may as well sit on his @rse all trip drinking rum & cokes, let the boat drift to Brazil, then swim the 1600miles up and down the beach in sunny Brazil at his leisure. And he can still make the same 'I swam the Atlantic' claim.

I hate to knock down people who attempt crazy but exciting stunts, but this just takes the p1ss.

Rolling Eyes

PS. And reading the MarathonSwimmers website, it's clear he's ripped a lot of people off by fund-raising for 'charities' but actually pocketing the cash, leaving a lot of aggrieved people. I'm afraid this guy seems a bit too dodgy in all aspects.


It seems to be the new thing
_________________
Attack ships on fire off the shoulder of Orion
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
SidSnot




Joined: 02 Sep 2005
Posts: 1429

PostPosted: Mon Dec 05, 2016 9:29 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
Seriously?

In which case he may as well sit on his @rse all trip drinking rum & cokes, let the boat drift to Brazil, then swim the 1600miles up and down the beach in sunny Brazil at his leisure. And he can still make the same 'I swam the Atlantic' claim.


That's exactly what he's doing. I've asked for an update on miles swam and miles travelled by the boat, as no updates are coming from the tracker or from his ranty FB posts.
Someone calculated he's averaged about 4,000 yards a day so far
_________________
@sidmott
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
SidSnot




Joined: 02 Sep 2005
Posts: 1429

PostPosted: Mon Dec 05, 2016 11:24 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

How much bad luck can one person have?

https://m.facebook.com/story.php?story_fbid=1808051232785663&id=100007424111532
_________________
@sidmott
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Whisk




Joined: 09 Jun 2005
Posts: 8270
Location: London

PostPosted: Mon Dec 05, 2016 6:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Gus wrote:
And reading the MarathonSwimmers website, it's clear he's ripped a lot of people off by fund-raising for 'charities' but actually pocketing the cash, leaving a lot of aggrieved people. I'm afraid this guy seems a bit too dodgy in all aspects.


I did wonder about how this was being funded - the cost of doing something like this must be huge, with a boat and crew for however long it's going to take him.
_________________
2016: Just riding my bike....
Hot Chillee ride captain (sponsored by WattBike, Cervelo, Edco, Lazer, Continental, Le Marq, Garmin, Sportique, Purple Harry, Pro-Cycle Insurance, Maserati)
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Gus




Joined: 07 Sep 2007
Posts: 2132
Location: Freezing my nads off in Aberdoom

PostPosted: Tue Dec 06, 2016 10:31 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

SidSnot wrote:
How much bad luck can one person have?

https://m.facebook.com/story.php?story_fbid=1808051232785663&id=100007424111532


There is just something, and I'm not entirely sure what, that threads through the tone of many of his posts and the style of how he dramatises stuff....

Even if the whole premise of his attempt wasn't so ludicrous, I would be alerted to the veracity of his claims by the almost "John Craven's Newsround drama" way he phrases his updates.

I just can't help thinking there is a lingering bovine smell.
_________________
BLOG now updating again!
In a world where I feel so small, I can't stop thinking big...

My 15 minutes of fame
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
SidSnot




Joined: 02 Sep 2005
Posts: 1429

PostPosted: Tue Dec 06, 2016 10:46 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Gus wrote:
SidSnot wrote:
How much bad luck can one person have?

https://m.facebook.com/story.php?story_fbid=1808051232785663&id=100007424111532


There is just something, and I'm not entirely sure what, that threads through the tone of many of his posts and the style of how he dramatises stuff....

Even if the whole premise of his attempt wasn't so ludicrous, I would be alerted to the veracity of his claims by the almost "John Craven's Newsround drama" way he phrases his updates.

I just can't help thinking there is a lingering bovine smell.


The FB updates are apparently being done by someone in the UK. Despite numerous requests, nothing has come back in regards to mileage to date(boat and swimmer). The tracking company know nothing more than what's being posted on FB either

Quote:
That one I can answer I think. The Facebook updates are being done by Charlotte in the UK not Ben directly, I can only assume she is posting what she is being told and does not have access to anyone else's. I believe that the crew are able to send occasional emails and messages to their families, and are doing so, but obviously those are private communications.


http://marathonswimmers.org/forum/discussion/1535/ben-hooper-swim-across-atlantic-ocean/p5#Comment_23383
_________________
@sidmott
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Thing of the Fountains




Joined: 06 Jul 2010
Posts: 242

PostPosted: Tue Dec 06, 2016 10:50 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

"I'm so sorry Georgie I have let you down" ???
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
SidSnot




Joined: 02 Sep 2005
Posts: 1429

PostPosted: Tue Dec 06, 2016 1:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thing of the Fountains wrote:
"I'm so sorry Georgie I have let you down" ???


his daughter
_________________
@sidmott
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Paolo




Joined: 16 Jul 2010
Posts: 1251
Location: Huntingdon

PostPosted: Tue Dec 06, 2016 8:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

hermannlovespauline wrote:
who knew death was so negotiable? i'm beginning to think we might have been jumping the gun having grandma cremated


Why have I only just read this thread!!!that quote had me in tears!!!
_________________
2016: 7 marathons in 7 days Enigma running.....BRING IT ON.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Paolo




Joined: 16 Jul 2010
Posts: 1251
Location: Huntingdon

PostPosted: Tue Dec 06, 2016 8:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

SidSnot wrote:
Its all gone a bit quiet...tracker hasn't updated for 2 days https://www.followmychallenge.com/live/swimthebigblue/

nothing on @swimthebigblue either

not a third time, surely


Eaten by shark...?

I must read on..
_________________
2016: 7 marathons in 7 days Enigma running.....BRING IT ON.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Display posts from previous:   
Post new topic   Reply to topic    TriTalk.co.uk Forum Index -> Off-Topic All times are GMT
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next
Page 3 of 8
  Share
 
Jump to:  
You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You cannot vote in polls in this forum





Home | About TT | Privacy Policy | Terms and Conditions | Advertising | Contact TT
Copyright ©2003-2015 TriTalk®.co.uk. All rights reserved.