Tri Talk HomepageTri Talk EventsTri Talk ForumsBlogsTri Talk TrainingTri TradeTriPlayerWikiTeam Tri Talk
Rental van to take to europe
Goto page 1, 2  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
CrazyGirl

PostPosted: Wed Feb 15, 2017 9:19 pm    Post subject: Rental van to take to europe Reply with quote

Does anyone know a van hire company that lets you take a van to mainland Europe please?
GrahamO

PostPosted: Thu Feb 16, 2017 7:30 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Run out of booze again eh ?

Or people smuggling Smile

Very Happy
CrazyGirl

PostPosted: Thu Feb 16, 2017 9:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

GrahamO wrote:
Run out of booze again eh ?

Or people smuggling Smile

Very Happy

Les deux
😈
ttowel

PostPosted: Fri Feb 17, 2017 6:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I looked at this a while ago, Europcar or Enterprise did. One of them was actually quite reasonable, but you have to make sure you have unlimited mileage.
flyingelephant

PostPosted: Mon Apr 03, 2017 1:57 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Buy an old cheap one. Makes it more of an adventure.
Gus

PostPosted: Mon Apr 03, 2017 6:22 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

As above, I've used Europcar, but IIRC most of the 'majors' allow you to do this, as long as you declare it up front.

I've also used a local van supplier for international trips which turned out cheaper.

Main things are you let them know which country you're going to as there are insurance issues that must be covered. And also as above, check the mileage allowance (if you exceed their limit you will get absolutely mullered).

For France, there are all sorts of legal requirements that must be carried (warning triangle, spare bulbs, high-viz vest) so make sure they are either included or you have that covered in case you're stopped.

My 15 minutes of fame
explorerJC

PostPosted: Mon Apr 03, 2017 7:30 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Gus wrote:
As above, I've used Europcar, but IIRC most of the 'majors' allow you to do this, as long as you declare it up front.

I've also used a local van supplier for international trips which turned out cheaper.

Main things are you let them know which country you're going to as there are insurance issues that must be covered. And also as above, check the mileage allowance (if you exceed their limit you will get absolutely mullered).

For France, there are all sorts of legal requirements that must be carried (warning triangle, spare bulbs, high-viz vest) so make sure they are either included or you have that covered in case you're stopped.

breathalysers...

www.naturalrunningform.co.uk Natural Running Form Coach

2017 Training Camps http://www.appliedtri.co.uk/training-camps/
GrahamO

PostPosted: Mon Apr 03, 2017 7:48 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Gus wrote:

And the new one which may be an April 1st joke about needing an emissions sticker for every vehicle.

http://www.rac.co.uk/drive/news/motoring-news/law-change-for-uk-drivers-in-french-cities/
fat buddha

PostPosted: Mon Apr 03, 2017 5:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

explorerJC wrote:
Gus wrote:

breathalysers...

well - not quite.

officially they are still on the legal list of items that you are required to take with you when you drive in France but there is NO FINE for not having them. In January 2013, the French government officially said that the introduction of a fine for not having an unused breathalyzer with you (which was to be 11) has been postponed indefinitely. So according to the rules you are still supposed to take one but there is no fine imposed for non-compliance.

as for the emissions sticker - that is genuine (I already have one on my motorhome). at the moment the only cities where you need one are Paris, Grenoble and Lyon but many more are expected to sign up to limit diesel pollution (much like the London Emissions Zone) and any French city with a population of more than 50,000 can apply for the scheme. Germany has been running a similar scheme to this for a few years across a number of cities.
explorerJC

PostPosted: Mon Apr 03, 2017 6:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

fat buddha wrote:
explorerJC wrote:
Gus wrote:

breathalysers...

well - not quite.

so, when someone brings a triathlon box (chortle chortle) into transition, that's ok because although it is against the rules, there isn't a penalty?

fat buddha

PostPosted: Tue Apr 04, 2017 8:37 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

explorerJC wrote:
fat buddha wrote:
explorerJC wrote:
Gus wrote:

breathalysers...

well - not quite.

so, when someone brings a triathlon box (chortle chortle) into transition, that's ok because although it is against the rules, there isn't a penalty?

well - not quite

they can bring the triathlon box (ptooey!) into transition, but they can't leave it at their racking spot Smile
explorerJC

PostPosted: Tue Apr 04, 2017 8:40 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

fat buddha wrote:
explorerJC wrote:
fat buddha wrote:
explorerJC wrote:
Gus wrote:

breathalysers...

well - not quite.

well - not quite

they can bring the triathlon box (ptooey!) into transition, but they can't leave it at their racking spot Smile

and the penalty for leaving it there?

fat buddha

PostPosted: Tue Apr 04, 2017 11:01 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

explorerJC wrote:
fat buddha wrote:
explorerJC wrote:
fat buddha wrote:
explorerJC wrote:
Gus wrote:

breathalysers...

well - not quite.

well - not quite

and the penalty for leaving it there?

discretionary based on circumstances. e.g. if proving a hazard to other competitors or race flow, then request that they remove it immediately. if ignored a DQ can be applied. however, if loads of space in transition and no baggage area supplied then probably allow.

most EOs now supply baggage storage areas in transition so there is no excuse to keep a box or large bag at a transition spot - only leave what you need to race with and remove excess back to the vehicle or to the baggage area (or best not bring it to start).

compliance has improved over the last couple of years and it was noticeable last season that more athletes are now using triathlon bags or similar sports bags rather than those goddam boxes!!
explorerJC

PostPosted: Tue Apr 04, 2017 1:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

FoulOleRon

PostPosted: Tue Apr 04, 2017 4:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

explorerJC wrote:

I've not seen the logo before.

I now can't unsee it.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    TriTalk.co.uk Forum Index -> Off-Topic All times are GMT
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: